What should I do?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by KaienSekai, Jan 21, 2017.

1. KaienSekai

KaienSekai Valued Member

So I'm having a very hard about how I feel about my training lately. I feel like I've plateaued since I always try to excel quickly in my training but it's been months since I've learned something new. I'm current one belt away from my apprentice black belt after our grading a few weeks ago and I haven't learned anything new. It's really irritating. I do work as an assistant instructor for the dojo. And I feel like if I were to suddenly vanish and quit I would really be disappointing the children since I noticed how much they look up to me. Which I think is the main reason I haven't quit. I'm currently thinking of trying out other martial arts because the thing that interest me most is learning more about the martial arts and become a better. Which I just don't feel like I will get any better at the moment. My family actually thinks I'm being taken advantage of for how much I do and not really getting anything in return. Which is a little annoying but I really don't need anything since I enjoy spending classes with the other students but not as much anymore since my own progression seems to have stopped. I would really appreciate someone's insight on all of this.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

We all stutter sometimes in training. I take a different martial arts class if I feel I'm stagnating. It gives you a new perspective and way of thinking.

It's very nice that you're helping out with the kids classes but if you feel you are being taken advantage of then don't go. If you feel happy to continue lessons then do so.

You should also ask yourself "am I doing anything to improve and better my technique?". You'll find that learning new techniques is not essential, especially as you approach black belt. You learn less techniques and learn more about timing, distance, range and accuracy. I don't know what art you're doing but think to yourself "I can do this technique now, but could I do it better? Or could I do it when I'm dog tired? Could I have better accuracy with it? Could I use this punch work as a body shot as well as a head shot? I can do this really well on one side but what if I switch stances?" Things like that.

What art are you studying out of interest?

3. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

So much this.

MAs live from repetition over and over and over until they're not onlz done well, bt are automated too.
    And it's more then likey that you still have lots to improve on the things you think you already know. Details are great.

I learned lots of techniques, but I notice that I have certain go-to-techniques when it gets a little more heated.

And maybe that's a stupid question, but: What do your parents (or you) think you should get in return?
    Getting paid?
    That's an honest question, not me trying to be annoying.
    Chances are you're in a private school, so payment might be one of the ideas...

4. KaienSekai

KaienSekai Valued Member

Thanks I definitely don't believe my technique is perfect since you can always improve. And yeah my family thinks I should be getting paid or not having to pay monthly dues but honestly I don't feel that way since I don't mind volunteering and paying my dues makes sure I stay active in the organization. But is it wrong that I view them more as dues at this point than a payment to my Master? Right now I'm taking Tang Soo Do. So I'm kind of thinking about taking a martial art that helps with my stretching since that's one of my main problems since I feel like my kicks aren't as great as they should be. But I would go out and help 3-4 times a week helping with the kids. So I kind of feel like I should take a break so maybe I'll get past this feeling of being used. My family gets worried about when I say break since they think it means I just plan to quit but I don't. So how long would a good break be?

5. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Quite honestly, if you are helping 3-4 times a week, I am not surprised you feel like you need a break. I am surprised, though, that you still pay the monthly fees. When you help with the kids, are you the only instructor there or are you just assisting (as in that the class doesn't completely depend on whether you show up or not)?
    I do not know your instructor, but I would probably share some of your thoughts with him. I can see that people teaching classes have less time for their own training and since they just have to do the kids classes, all the trainings sort of turn into duty rather than an enjoyable free-time activity. Maybe your instructor would be understanding and get another person to do perhaps half of the children classes? Or if this isn't a problem for you, maybe you can agree on the fee, at the very least.
    Maybe a good option for you would be doing less kids classes, a few of none of your classes, while trying a new art? So that you don't completely "burn bridges" when you leave and aren't sure the other art you choose will suit you.

6. KaienSekai

KaienSekai Valued Member

I often assist in classes with the kids and lower belts. But should my Master get sick then I have to teach the whole class. I honestly enjoy teaching the kids more than doing the advanced classes because it feels like I could do this on my own trying to get better if I'm not going to learn a new form for the next few months though I know that I still need to work on the details of my forms which is problem the only reason I would go to the advanced classes now. I think I would try to go to clssses 1-2 times a week unless he asks me to come in while study my new art since it's one of my life goals to eventually reach my black belt. As for the fee I feel kind of rude telling my Master that I don't feel like I should have to pay anymore. But what's a good break in terms of time? I do plan to still train on my own though while I take this break from classes.

7. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

The good thing is, you learn tons when teaching, because you need to think "in different ways" while doing that.
    3-4 four times a week giving classes is a lot though, so maybe it will be enough to cut down classes, as Nachi said.

What the right amount of time would be is probably nearly impossible to tell, because I'd say that depends on the person, reason and whatever.
    Maybe you notice after two weeks that something is missing, maybe you need six months.
    Maybe you actually keep training on your own in that time, maybe you won't.

Stretching alone would be something, you could do by yourself.
    Or actually connect both: Getting a break from one and work on the other. For kicks I first think Taekwondo admittedly.

As some sort of... "warning" sounds so dramatic, but something to maybe keep in mind:
    I, for example, had to take a break from Hapkido due to an injury, but since I wasn't all that happy there anymore anyway, looked around for something new ended quiting class completly, because I found another art, and moreso club, to fit me better.
    Just as an example, that something like this might happen as well.
    Admittedly, I thought about quitting before, but you might as well find something you prefer.
    (Hapkido and the people were great, so it was still a difficult the decision, but the best for me)

8. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

QFT !!
    The more I hang around dojos/gyms/whatever, the more I realize it's not really about "techniques," per se. It's about underlying principles. Now that you pretty much know the techniques, you could/should be looking at what makes them work, and looking at variations.

Examples off the top of my head:
    1. If you're slightly late on a block, what happens? What could you do to salvage it?
    2. Likewise if you're slightly early.
    3. How much of a strike is in your shoulder or upper arm, and how much should be in the turn of your waist? Can you relax your arms and shoulders so much that you're hitting just with the turn of your waist? Is that more effective or less effective? Where is the "sweet spot" of maximum power?
    4. Similarly with hip throws and sweeps, can you find the right ratio of strength to timing so that the other guy falls most easily?
    5. How much do you actually have to move your head out of the way of a punch? I think it's only a few inches. Can you find the right timing so that you move the least?
    6. Likewise for kicks to the body -- can you find the right timing and the right angles so that you barely move without getting kicked?

9. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Now I'm not sure whether I feel just lucky or like an ass - I keep forgetting, that some teachers apparently don't talk about the principles behind the techniques.

All my teachers also include(d) explanations why something works or doesn't, and step by step explained the principles.
    (Or I misunderstand respectivley understand something different then you do behind it. That's possible as well.)

My former HKD-teacher once dragged me though half the dojo in a slight a lock, just to "slam" me (lightly) agains a cubboard, to keep explaining variations of the lock and why and how it worked.
    It was just to show me something and no aggression involved, before it gets misunderstood!
    Btw: The glances of the other students were awesome :D

10. thinkingbody

thinkingbody Valued Member

I found myself in a similar position when I was about fifteen. Then I started lifting weights and doing some mma and my teacher kicked me out of the club, probably because he felt threatened and that his authority had been undermined as he didn't believe in those training methods. I think you'll probably find yourself in a similar situation. In my experience the "traditional" martial arts schools tend to have this kind of mentality, that people shouldn't cross train, should take the instructors word as gospel etc. Obviously not all traditional MA schools are like this though.

The instructor will probably find someone else to teach the kids that's just as good as you, so I think you should branch out as a martial artist. Don't compromise yourself for others. And don't lie to your teacher, tell him exactly what your doing and why. If you can't stand up to your instructor then you've learned nothing about martial arts, the point of which should be to give you the confidence and strength to get through life without compromising yourself.

11. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Why should he get kicked out for cross-training?
    Never heard that outside of an organization, that is known for caring more about money than anything else.

Most instructors I heard of even tell their students to look at other things; I *know* mine do and even sent me to certain other people and take me to seminars.
    Of course that doesn't count for all instructors out there.

See, what I did there?

On an off-topic sidenote: Do you people really find capable instructors for kids that easily?
    I'm active in two clubs, where I know about the behind the scenes more then most students, and both clubs have trouble finding someone capable.

They could probably get John Doe, of whom they've never heard and who wants a ridiculous amount of money; I talk more about people that actually can handle kids more then once or twice a week and whom the people who run the clubs at best known a bit.
    At least here people aren't exactly standing in a line for a "job" like that.

12. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I've heard often of clubs not wanting to cross train. They have a slight truth to them when you are an absolute beginner. There is not a whole lot of point in learning say Karate, and WTF TKD because they're both similar with small nuances and both have bad habits for the other style.

Other than that cross training is excellent.

13. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Funny, as for me it's the opposite :)
    All my teachers state - at the very least when asked, but without as well - that cross training is not only good, but important.
    When I told my ATK-teacher, that I will go to Judo again on Wednesday, he was more then fine wwith it, telling me how important is (- even though I will miss his longer class every week now :( )

14. KaienSekai

KaienSekai Valued Member

I have noticed that is very hard for some clubs to find instructor especially when it comes to kids that are acting out. Since it's only me and one other student that offers to help out. But I definitely don't want any money since I actually enjoy volunteering since it makes me feel better. My main problem is that I just don't feel like I'm progressing any further. Though I do think that's odd that some schools don't want people who have already started training. But I haven't done a martial art like Judo so I would be new at that.

15. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Just to look at it from a different angle: Did you talk with your instructor about that?

I can only speak for me, obvioulsy, but most of the time I feel like I didn't make any progress since the first year (I'm only for a better part of three years) - which is just wrong, no matter how it feels.
    I realized that, when I got praised on seminars or a grading (where I was Uke) by the instructors who taught on the seminar.

16. SCA

SCA Former Instructor

Once you reach black belt, the focus is no longer about learning new techniques. It is said that this is when you truly begin your martial arts training. Give it some time to adjust yourself and transition. You should have all the fundamentals of your art now and can really work on improving them to advanced levels.

Good luck on your next black belt test and congratulations on making it this far!

17. KaienSekai

KaienSekai Valued Member

I haven't brought it up to my Master since I feel like that is disrespectful to him. But I have noticed that the little details in my forms have become much better though I feel like if I just practice on my own then it'll gradually get better though having an instructor would probably be better by pointing out what I'm doing wrong.

18. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I'd say it depends on how you ask.
    If you go to him "I don't learn anything anymore, you're bad" (so to speak; imagine it being a lot more rude ;) ) or if you say something in the lines of: "I feel, like I'm stuck a bit, can you tell me if it's true" should make quite a difference in regards of respect.

I ask my teachers all now and then the same question.
    I explained to them before that I have absolutely no sense for my own improvements (which they know to be true) and just wonder, if anything got a bit better.
    Or I ask them specifically.
    For example, I know I still move like wodden dummy, so I asked if it will ever be better - apperently it got a little better and he's sure it will be even more better, if I stop thinking too much and such.
    So, I didn't only get an answer, but also tips on what to work on to improve.