creationist creeping on kids' video games

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Giovanni, Jan 3, 2017.

1. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Odd, would think it has to do w/Christianity beginning as a sect of a patriarchal religion.

Well,at least patriarchal after Y got a divorce either during the time in Babylon or after he got home to Judea.Before then Y has a female companion.Plenty of her (and his) household statues have been found in the homeland-until the return.
    Well that one sentence puts it all in context.I thought you were making a general statement.Thanks.

2. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i would argue that you still are an evolutionary biologist.

for the children, i think you need to front-load the theory of evolution into their coursework as much as you can. i find that kids are not properly educated on what it is. start with the theoretical underpinnings, to get you to the nuts and bolts. i think there's a disconnect. and kids don't know what the scientific theory really means. and i think that this disconnect may be a factor in kids being duped by pseudo-science--aka intelligent design.

3. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Mitosis is just cell division, individual cells do it too!

I think the jobs are a little different in that I'm not conducting any research or expanding knowledge of the field. Don't get me wrong, I'm acting as a science advocate, but I'm going into education and not research for a reason.

Totally agree with you about the direction that biology education should take, it's actually what I'm writing my thesis on :]

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

my bad I meant meiosis! which I also just tried to type as miosis, which is a very different thing!! hahahahha

5. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

For the same reason the average person wouldn't go around calling the effects of going to gym class spiritual. Convention and not wanting to re define everything as I see no good reason to.

Well you just gave a good reason why those kind of value judgements are not purely subjective: that they are based on a chemical bond. It's not like an opinion that you can decide just for yourself to suit yourself. Well you can, but a huge objectively based bilological urge will fight it. There is choice and plenty of parents can and do follow such choices, but in many cases it can result in pain and suffering.

So whilst we can demarcate between the objective and subjective realms it's not like there is no connection there at all. Subjectivity is our filter for everything. We will usually choose to allign our opinions and choices to what is true for us and what we feel. Seeing as we all share a large common experience and that it's predicated in large part on the objective world both inside us and outside ourslelves our choices are not entirely free or without consequence.

Of course "useful to the species"; our lives today are a lot more diverse and we have more personal choice than we ever have before though.

I think the nature of the practices are far more conducive to physical and pshychological effects ascociated with what has been conventionally defined as "spiritual kind of stuff" :) It's true enough in my experience, but you are welcome to come up with your own maps and territories for this kind of thing. It's not like the physical and mental practice is stand alone, perhaps the ascociated teachings are just as important to what the result might be and how they sit and potentially flourish with any given individual, perhaps there is a synergistic effect that is hard to replicate in quite the same way by other means.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I don't know about "average", but my hunch about googling "christian gym spiritual" turned out to be a rich seam: https://www.google.co.uk/?client=sa...6YAg#channel=mac_bm&q=christian+gym+spiritual

That's by-the-by though, see below for my problem with the word "spiritual".

Just so it doesn't get lost, I'd like to reiterate what I was actually arguing against: the idea that there are universal morals that exists throughout the universe independently of any conscious beings that may follow them.

So yes, we can say that there are some objective factors, in that biology affects behaviour and ethics. However, we cannot say that this implies any kind of objective measure of the value of those morals or ethics. Biology can push you to murder your child just as biology can push you to be a caring father. If we reproduced like fish, we might be sitting here writing that it is morally repugnant for a mother not to eat her young.

I think it is probably to do with the fact that it is a multi-system effect, not just something that happens in the mind. My suspicion is that it is largely an endocrine system phenomenon.

As for "spiritual", I have never read a satisfactory definition of the word, so I have no idea what people mean when they use it. For me, it clouds [edit: no pun intended!) issues and most descriptions can be made clearer by omitting the term "spiritual" and using more specific terms.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017