Goals for 2017

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by dan.scriabin, Jan 1, 2017.

1. dan.scriabin

dan.scriabin New Member

A perfect split, in all directions, and a 180 degrees kick hold.
    Move up at least one belt in kung fu and taekwondo.
    Finish up all the levels of my training routines (training a routine that goes by levels to improve flexibility and kicks).
    Get a house by the beach and a new car.
    Buy that beloved piano I've been wanting for months.
    Increase my income by 100%.
    Remain in perfect health and wake up full of energy each day.

Share yours.

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

3 times a week BJJ practice.

Become competent at si diao bonsai carving.

Work tirelessly against the Trump agenda.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Same as last year for the most part. Train more, fight more.

Remove relationships from my life and become lonely again. Depression might have been better than this.

Lift weights.

Make an effort with clothing and hygiene. Too often do I just look like a homeless person.

4. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

No resolutions for this year.

I won't get anything done anyway.
    I'll take things one day at a time.

5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Walk-around weight of 180, because that's what my driver license says ... and there was a point in time when it was accurate. (On a bad day I'm only ten pounds off, but those last ten pounds are hard to lose.)

Do a few pull-ups.

Slip punches very well, and very consistently.

6. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Nothing too new from the last years actually and it's actually mostly coincidence that it falls with January.

The for me most important: Being a especially good uke again.
    After I was uke for my teachers 5th Dan in Ajukate last year, he had asked me to be his uke for his third Dan in JJ as well; I'm really looking forward to this, because his other grading was actually the best day of my life.

I will also be uke for a 1st Dan grading in Kickboxing-grading this year as well; I have to learn a lot for that, I'm afraid, but I'm sure it will be fun. Despite being hard as well.

The next thing is getting better at my arts as well, because I will get more responsibilty in our kids training.
    I am supposed to get the more advanced kids in the older-kids-group, and am also supposed to take more control of the younger-kids-group.

Same with the organization of the groups.

To do a good job there, I have to work on myself at the same time; no more time for slacking now, I'm afraid.

Two of my teachers also mentioned gradings already, so if it goes after them, I might do my 3rd Kyu in JJ and ATK the least.
    But I'm not sure about that yet.
    I will have to trust their judgement in that case, because mine just blows.

None of the above has really something to do with the year change, but just happened to be on now.

This also started in November, but another thing is finding my own place.
    Funny thing is, I nearly chose a flat that would have been only 500m away from the house from one my teachers lol
    That was... weird actually :D
    But it didn't work out anyway, the flat was given away to someone else.

Oh, and losing some weight I gained during the holidays and then some :D
    That part didn't work out last year :D

7. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Hmm, my original resolution plan already failed, but there are still some:

- Eat better - more healthy stuff, less sweets (although I already doubt I'd be able to do that :D). If I manage to lose some weight, though, I'd consider it a success! :)
    - Get better in karate and kobudo and practise often
    - Improve my art (as in drawing) as well
    - Work on a project I recently thought of, at least a bit (although I thought I would never be interested in it, I suddenly started to feel like it would be cool to try and draw a fantasy and MA related comic :D). Wish me luck! I don't have much time for that, but I would like to work on it perhaps a few hours a week. It's ok to be slow, but consistency is the key!
    - And above all, just be happy :)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  8. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

I suppose you win in the category "The most depressing resolution".
    Why is it so? You mean romantic relationships or relationships in general? :(

9. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Bohurt: Complete my armour and compete this year in Duel, 5 v 5 and 21 v 21. lots of tournaments coming up so exciting time to be part of the sport.
    Fitness: Almost recovered from a wrist injury that was hampering my weight training, been training for the last week and wrist seems OK although I have to be careful when curling on weights.
    Jujitsu: Dojo grades once every blue moon, would be nice to grade as missed a couple in the past due to work shifts.
    Work/Home: Work less, money is good but would like more time with my Wife and Son, and see some of my friends more often. Some I have not seen in over 6 months.
    General: Just try and be a better person every day, Try and learn something new daily.

10. Pretty In Pink

Woman, driving me crazy. Might just try and be single for the rest of the year.

11. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Unfortunately, women won't drive men any less crazy (or vice versa) in 2018' than they have in any other year up to this point...

Travess

12. Pretty In Pink

Woman as in singular mate.

13. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Having the sense and/or willingness to walk away, when it comes to unhealthy relationships, is a rare strength these days - I hope 2017' works out for you either way Chadderz mate.

14. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Not really a resolution. But I am aiming to go back down to 85kg by August and attempt to remain there.

15. dan.scriabin

dan.scriabin New Member

Awesome replies folks.

Yeah, resolutions shouldn't be something one does at the beginning of the year but each single day (or even each second). What I learned to do is, write my goals every single day, as many times a day as possible. It works for me to keep focused and avoid my terrible tendency of jumping from on "goal" to another, not finishing anything and starting something new, or resuming something I had abandoned to abandon it again after something new comes up... :cry:

Get 10x stronger to avoid reinjuring, focus on that. I know a few great wrist and forearms exercises but I'm not sure what the policy is here to share videos or links. I'd say by experience, focus on that.

16. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

If you have a link or a video that helps someone, or perhaps backs up an point you are trying to make then it's not a problem.

It's just self promotion we are against.

If you have a blog then we prefer the text to be written on MAP.

Hope that clears things up.

17. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Thanks Dan,

I would be interested in seeing that as my wrist is still a lot weaker than it was. I see Simon has given you the all clear.

I am carrying a couple of injuries, Also a twisted knee from a bohurt melee from someone attempting a uchi gari type takedown and losing balance, landing in armour on my knee so always happy to see recovering and strengthening tips and advice. A friend actually filmed and it was interesting to look at how it happened in detail.