MAP Meet 2017

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Simon, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

MAP Meet Saturday June 10th 2017

Where is it?

High Wycome Judo Centre
    http://www.wycombejudocentre.co.uk/

The venue has matted training areas large enough for 2 or 3 sessions at the same time, changing rooms and showers, on site parking and a social bar area overlooking the main Dojo.

What time is it?

Arrive by 10.00 to sign in if you are taking part in the whole event.

Who is teaching and what arts can I try?

Proposed lineup (subject to minor changes in order):

10.30 – 12.00 Session 1. Aegis HEMA - Janno FMA and David Arnold Tai Chi meditation and applications.

12.15 - 13.45 Session 2. dunc Ninjutsu - Keith LeBehan Boxing and Smurf JuJitsu

13.45 to 14.15. Break for lunch.

14.15 - 15.40 Session 3. Smurf JuJitsu - Steve Brinkman wrestling and Janno FMA

15.50 - 17.00 Session 4. Aegis HEMA and Simon HAVOC Jeet Kune Do.

Getting there
    The location is just off one of two M40 junctions for the town and close to the M4 and M25 routes.
    http://www.wycombejudocentre.co.uk/index.html

Buses or taxis
    You can get a taxi or blag a lift from the central bus station. The Booker/Lane End one (032A) is most likely to be the best choice.
    http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/services/transport-and-roads/buses-and-trains/
    You either want the Turnpike Corner West stop or the Lansdell Avenue Stop. The Judo Centre is in Barry Close, High Wycombe, HP12 4UE

Rail
    The station (with trains roughly every 20 mins) is on the Birmingham to Marylebone line, so you can get intercity to one of those locations (or Banbury) and then switch.
    http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/
    http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/default.aspx

How do I pay?
    Via the just giving page. Just Giving Page 2017
    Please donate a minimum of £20 to charity.

What charity are we supporting?
    MAP has supported some very worthy charities over the years and the 2017 Meet will be in aid of Bloodwise

Can I bring a friend/partner/another member of my club?
    Yes. As long as they pay through the Just Giving page. Minimum age is 16.

Will it be fun?
    Oh yes, very much so.

Size, shape, sex, fitness and flexibility aren't a requirement. Come and meet the people you talk to online and see them in a different light.

We look forward to seeing you there.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    chatter box likes this.
  2. Simon

This is the official 2017 MAP Meet thread and the Just Giving page is now live.

This is going to be a fantastic event and as usual the instructor line up is incredible.

This year the instructors approached me asking to take a session, which not only saved a load of work, but shows in what high regard the meet and all who attend are held.

The instructor teaching times are subject to change and I'll act as stand in should someone not be able to make it.

dunc will be doing two sessions, with the second one being some ground work drills every martial artist should know.

Janno's Eskrima sessions went down a storm and even though he is abroad for the first part of the year will be making himself available to teach.

Great to see Smurf back on the mats, as he really embodies everything good about the day. Fun, energy, great skill and no ego.

Steve Brinkman makes a return to take a wrestling session and hopefully will be bringing some top level Roger Gracie BJJ gym members with him.

Scott Halls Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu - Monkasei and UK Representative
    Zen Nihon Kendo Renmei Iai - 5th Dan and...

Steven Delaney
    Sōsuishi-ryū - Shihan License
    Araki-ryū Gunyō Kogusoku - Menkyo
    will be doing two sessions, the first being kenjutsu class and an iai class in the afternoon.

Unreal Combat once again makes the journey down from Nottingham and will be taking a Muay Thai session.
    Unreal Combat - Lei Bridges has just returned from Thailand where he has been training with Senchai.

The Tai Chi instructor is David Arnold and he will be splitting his session in two, the first part being meditation and relaxation and the second half is practical application. I can personally vouch for David, as he is my instructor.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  3. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Looking forward to it!

4. Simon

Excellent.

It's gonna be a good one.

5. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

*Saenchai. :)

See you guys there! :)

6. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Simon, can you edit the post above to include Steve D's details please? We will be sharing the workload between us!

7. Simon

Done.

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Sparring? And is there somewhere nearby I can donate blood? :D

9. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Adam and I will be bringing our sparring kit down. Ruth will probably be happy to punch you in the face also. :D

If enough people want it I could run a sparring session for the last hour?

10. ScottUK

I won't be sparring. I tend to cheat and use 2.5 feet of sharp steel.

11. Simon

:hail:

Of with his head.

12. Pretty In Pink

It's not the size.... It's how you use it.

13. Simon

Yeah, sadly for us Scott and Steve know how to use it.

You distract him and I'll tie his laces together. That always works. :D

14. Pretty In Pink

Yasss. <3 getting punched in the face.

For real I will spar for the entire hour with anybody that fancies it. Got to roll with Adam last year and I'm so interested to see how different he moves now and if I move differently.

Also donating blood, can I do it? :D

15. Simon

On a serious note, and we say this every year, this event is open to all who make a donation.

Fitness, sex, weight or a particular level of skill doesn't matter.

Being a martial artist doesn't even matter because the event is about learning while having fun.

Martial Arts Planet really do bring you some of the best instructors in the country, but they all create a session and environment that'll make you comfortable, smile, laugh and learn all at the same time.

If they didn't they wouldn't be invited and Scott has promised not to cut off anyone's head.

We can normally arrange to pick up and collect people from the local stations if they are travelling by public transport (I'm glad I proof read this paragraph, as it originally said we can lick up and collect. Although for the right donation...:eek: )

Each year we get letters of thanks from every charity we support, but this year it'll be real personal, as you'll see if you visit the Just Giving page.

The charity is one picked by a student of mine, who sadly lost her brother Dan to blood cancer over the Christmas period.

She, her family and Dan's young wife are overwhelmed that MAP has chosen to help Bloodwise.

This event will be fantastic. I give you my personal guarantee.

The instructor line up is so good I couldn't get a slot to take a session myself.

We will be streaming the event live via our Facebook page, although if any instructor is uncomfortable with this they only need say so on the day.

If you aren't on Facebook I will be posting an edited video and loads of pictures here on MAP.

chatter box likes this.
  16. Simon

Not sure we have cover for sparring and at the moment the schedule doesn't allow for it, but although I haven't discussed it with Mitch I'd love to do a full weekend meet in 2018.

Two full days, food, sparring and laughs.

17. ScottUK

Good luck with that! :)

[​IMG]

chatter box likes this.
  18. Simon

Yes, try attending without making a donation. :D

19. Simon

Bugger.

20. ScottUK

I'm happy for Steve and I to do a single generic mixed kenjutsu/iai session if you want to cancel one of ours to get a slot...