Todays SD Situation

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Simon, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

It is always easy to arm chair quarterback. Every situation will be different and what may work one time could utterly fail the next time. It is very important to feel the flow in any situation and find the right course of action so that violence does not come your way.

2. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

SD to me is going about your life and then you randomly have to protect yourself.
    Simon deliberately put himself in a situation. Call me a layman but that element is not SD.
    If he got his head kicked in ,who's fault would it of been?

Calling the police I get. That's just sensible. Not some thing limited to the SD world.

What if one of the four guys was just with his mate watching and was ready to intervene.... to him a random guy comes along and gets involved .....to him what Simon look like if it kicked off? A random guy came in who claimed to know this other guy and assaulted my friend.....or I felt threatened so assaulted him....

Perspective.

3. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Fair enough,I personally do think it's relevant. There's no good and bad, there's a combination in every one....no heroes and villains ...It's not clear cut.

How do you know if the four were not stopping the single guy from doing something, or the other way round. How do you know if the single guy had not committed an offense against one of the other four....or his wife...or kid.
    How do you know if the it was not a on going thing between drug dealers or criminals?

Calling the police I get. Stepping in to help others around if they were in danger I get.
    Deliberately getting involved or with the intention to, I don't see as SD ,sorry.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I think you're making a lot more of this than is necessary.

As I've said before, it's just a title and not something to be fussed over.

You could call it "something I saw today" if you wish.

The title was chosen to attract views and it's something we do on FB, Twitter and You Tube posts.

I do disagree with your statement though and maybe martial artists see SD differently to non martial artists.

To me SD is going about your life and making informed decisions so as not having to randomly protect yourself, and you'll see later in this post that this is exactly what I did.

This is wrong.

5 guys having an argument and all they saw (if they saw anything) was a man walk out of McDonalds, cross the road and make a telephone call.

No eye contact, no staring, no communication of any kind.

The decision to abort my plan to move away the single guy was made within one or two seconds of leaving McDonalds and while I was about 20 metres away from the scene.

So again, a random stranger among many, as it was a pedestrian high street and in no more danger than anyone else.

The fault of the thugs, if you want to call them that.

It would have been a random attack on a member of the public, not an attack on someone intervening.

Who said calling the police was limited to the SD world?

The relevance here is my ability to stay close enough to give a thorough description to the police, while being aware of my position and body language so as not to look involved.

Again, I didn't get involved. Not at any stage.

All or your "what ifs" didn't happen and if they had my decision making may have changed.

Indeed.

I don't and this is something for the police to decide.

I didn't get involved, it wasn't necessary.

If I had it would have been the wrong decision.

Isn't that SD?

5. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Your basing your responses to me on what did actually happen....I am basing mine on the fact you were sitting totally away from the situation and decided to deliberately get involved by going into the situation.
    That is not SD at that moment.

How it turned out means you can respond by saying you called the police and did everything right and was not in danger......but initially you deliberately set out to intervene. That moment was not SD.

How many clique responses hAve we seen on here about not going into certain areas or pubs or clubs etc....crossing the road if a group of lads came towards you....all sorts of awareness advice.
    So.....How can deliberately getting involved now be SD?

6. Simon

Why does the entire scenario have to the SD?

If these youths had all been 6ft strapping rugby players maybe I would have stayed inside and called in from there.

My decision initially to help was based on many things, which at the time, and even now, I feel justified in doing.

You could argue that by going outside I made a poor call and that is poor SD.

I would argue that given the situation and taking everything into account I made the right call.

That decision changed immediately on leaving the building. The situation was different to that which I saw from McDonalds.

There are times to intervene and as Smurf has told us, times when it's best to stay well away.

I say that I did both of the above and both decisions I stand by.

7. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Now I'm confused...because you deliberately made a choice to go out to a situation were by you could of had to randomly protect yourself.

8. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

The post is in the SD section and I took it by the title and description that the story is in some way related to SD and meant to be a lesson.

I am just giving my perspective that I genuinely feel is important....I don't agree the initial decision to intervene was SD.

What you did or if it was right I have no problem with....It's entirely up to you.
    I have done both....intervened at times....half intervened .... stood by and watched.....even enjoyed watching a good tear up.....stood ready in case it comes near....stood ready in front my sister and girlfriend in case, ready ...all sorts.
    So it's your call......buts it's arguable that's it was initially SD. Like you said...I'm arguing it was poor SD or not even SD.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

"It has been said that*for evil men to accomplish their purpose it is only necessary that good men should do nothing."

SD is not an absolute state, if it were id become agraphobic with no personal relationships apart from the postman.

Maybe this wasnt SD in that it wasn't initially about the Self, however how it was managed, was about acheiving the goal of reducing the risk to the victim, without overly risking your self.

Pretty admirable aims if you ask me.

10. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

If it's admirable or one more advance against evil or whatever else over top statement anyone else wants to bring, is a different topic or discussion.

Is it SD to deliberately get involved in a situation that has nothing to do with you and going on away from you?..No.

Like I say ,whatever it is...commendable, good, bad, silly.....not my point.

SD ? Huh?

11. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Ok -
    So Simon saw this situation emerging, and went outside with an idea of what could be done to try and resolve the situation peacefully.

Upon getting outside, Simon observed that his plan was now no longer suitable, so broke off his idea and became a good witness.

I don't see how this WASN'T self defence?

If he had stuck doggedly to the plan, despite the change he had observed, then no, that wouldn't have been self defence, and he would have been putting himself in harm's way.

12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

How did he get involved? I dont belive there was any physical or verbal contact with any of the people involved.

13. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

The last sentence is the important bit and finally someone is maybe getting an idea of my point.

We're hAve I said or even commented that what ever else happened after was not SD ? I mentioned calling the police was sensible.

My comment now would be it was other defence, if there is such a thing.
    Simon tried to help a guy I assume. He was in no danger after he changed his mind like he said. So if you analyse that....is that SD?
    Simon could say the things he has learnt in his training helped......but like I said and SImon agreed, I think, it's not SD to call the police and tell them what's happening. It's simply sensible.

14. Simon

Two small points.

I didn't know who started the argument and for what reasons and I wasn't setting out to help one guy.

It would though have been easier to remove one from 4 rather than the other way round.

That is true, but I did use awareness, posturing, misdirection, distance etc and that is SD.

15. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

No physical or verbal contact was the outcome. Simon did not know that when he decided to get up and get involved in some capacity. At that moment it was not SD. A decision was made on his part to intervene. I do not believe that Simon, with his experience, did not consider that things could of have got physical and he must have believed he could handle it.

16. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

True and good on you. I just can't help but imagine a guy sitting a bench further down also calling the police whilst having a fag, reading the paper and farting. Calling the police and reporting crime takes no SD training no posturing , awareness, misdirection, etc unless you either put yourself in that position or are forced to.
    Sorry Simon, you put yourself in the position.

Listen, I do think it's commendable but also I see it from a different perspective and feel it's important to put it out there for the balance of the situation.

17. Simon

From the opening post.

No argument from me.

18. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Badger Ladder

Simon has been very patient in responding to your posts.

Putting yourself in a position does not necessarily mean that you cannot claim self defence, though it might not be deemed good self defence to do so. What Simon did do however was follow a natural instinct to want to prevent trouble and harm while not placing himself in harm, that is good self defence.

Your posts on this forum tend to run along the lines of 'no-one needs self defence training' or 'that isn't self defence'. If you posted along similar lines on the Karate forum we would see posts like 'that isn't a karate punch because we see it in TKD' or 'no-one needs to learn karate'. In short they would automatically be considered as trolling. As you consistently post along these lines on the Self Defence forum I consider your posts less about 'presenting an alternative view' and as deliberate trolling.

This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.