recommendations for squat rack

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ned, May 26, 2017.

1. ned

ned Valued Member

Any recommendations for buying a squat rack would be appreciated;
    Uk suppliers, decent quality brands, cheap and nasty ones to avoid etc.

Ideally it'd be able to push against a wall when not in use , i.e not a cage type.I'd want a bench to go with it, again preferably one separate rather than rack and bench combined. Will also be after another 50kg set of weights.
    Cheers !

2. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

Strengthshop has a UK subsidiary:
    https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/equipment/squat-stands-cages-blocks.html
    https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/equipment/benches.html

As I've not bought home gym equipment for myself, I can't comment on price, and you'd have to look for some review for the quality angle, but they're a pretty well-established company. Note also that the squat stands are shown as one piece (they're just about on the bottom half of the list on link one), but on most that's because they have a connecting bit that can be removed (and which also lets you adjust rack width for different grips and such)

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I have a Strength Shop football bar and it is great quality. Their stuff seems to be general good. I'm going to get some of their mats for my shed gym.

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I've got SS bars, and bench and generally they're really good quality!

6. ned

ned Valued Member

Thanks all, nice to see some concensus, I'll be having a look over weekend.
    Seems worth the wait to order online rather than rush out to Argos and pick up an inferior version.

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Last time I ordered from SS they delivered pretty quickly, from what I remember.

8. ned

ned Valued Member

Had a butchers at the Strength Shop link, looks good quality and reasonable price. However being a familly guy on a budget I trawled about and found an alternative (cheaper) option.

https://www.gorillasports.co.uk/p-1112-adjustable-squat-rack-barbell-rack.aspx

It appears to be of a similar build quality/design. Annoyingly there is no detailed information on the relevant page although a similar (separate) pair of stands on their site are rated at 500kg which is double that of those from Strength Shop.

Any thoughts/experience of their gear ?
    Thanks again for all feedback.

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Id check for reviews on amazon before buying!

10. Martinroy

Martinroy Valued Member

There are many suppliers in UK.;.. you can also find it on retailing sites like eBay,,Amazon etc....
    just Browse it ... hope so you can find the best one...
    you can also compare the price...Design..Quality of squat rack...
    And buy one..that you consider best one..

11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

If you are going a cheaper route these on ebay always get a good write up, and are being copied left and right by other manufacturershttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIRAFIT-Adjustable-Squat-Rack-Dip-Stand-Barbell-Weight-Gym-Bench-Power-Lifting/331717188972?_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Da925530b15ac49d481df8adcf9cc6bfc%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D361949966281&_trkparms=pageci%253Ae3a1294a-46c9-11e7-98fb-74dbd18064bf%257Cparentrq%253A63bb997115c0abc01196a4d6fffbf59f%257Ciid%253A1

12. ned

ned Valued Member

13. ned

ned Valued Member

Is adjustable spotter height a big plus ? There are two versions of the mirafit rack I'm looking at , one with one without.
    The fixed height version has a smaller footprint which would be preferable but I'm guessing bench pressing be safer/more convenient with the height adjustment ?
    Thanks once again !

14. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

Massive advantage. The closer the pins are to your lowest bottom position, the better, with the ideal being a tiny smidgen below it (such that they don't limit your ROM but you can bail safely and not damage the bar), and since said position will vary between lifts, with different equipment or apparel, and even vary with time, adjustability is a godsend.

15. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

16. ned

ned Valued Member

Cheers Fish/axelb, you confirmed what I thought - will be ordering the one with adjustable spotters.

axelb likes this.