Need Your Opinion - Choosing the best vacation.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Trav360, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Trav360

Trav360 New Member

Hi everyone, as in every year I'm starting to plan my summer vacation few months in advance.
    This year I've decided to go to the US, I'm just still not sure where exactly in the US I want to go 
    I'm not an American so I really need your honest recommendations in order to find out my next destination this summer.
    I made a road trip to California 2 years ago and a regular trip to New York last year. I liked the road trip much better, hence this year it's also going to be on the road.

Currently I'm tempted to choose one of the following courses:
    - California (again)
    - Florida (Miami ->Tampa -> Orlando-> Jacksonville)
    - Texas (Huston -> San Antonio -> Austin -> Dallas)
    - East coast(Boston -> New York -> Philadelphia -> Washington)

My decision factors would be:
    - The sites (most important)
    - The food (very important)
    - The people
    - Budget

Looking forward to hear your opinions and recommendations.
    Also, if you have special tips or recommendations for some of the locations specifically, please share them – I want to share it in a public trip Diary like I did in my previous vacation to California.

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

What Dojo, gyms, or other training is near those locations?

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I love California, but it ain't cheap.

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

How I make all my decisions tbh.

5. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I'd go with the East Coast vacation. New York City has to be seen to be believed. Don't bother with Times Square, or, if you must, only stay there a short while. I'm from Houston and, although the food is excellent, it really isn't that great a city to tour. You definitely will need a car to get around, whereas in NYC and Philly you can get around just fine with public transportation.

6. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

I'd go with where ever you want to visit. Vacation is vacation. Have a beer and chill

7. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

What sort of thing interests you most? Are you more a a city person or a country person? I mean, do you want to see natural wonders or experience shows and parties? Do you like to see things of historical significance or does that bore you?

What you like to do on vacations would be an important determining factor. The US is so huge, giving us an idea of what you like to do on vacations would help us give better suggestions.

8. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

I’d say east coast. Boston, NYC, Philly and DC are all great individually. Plenty of monuments and other things to see, great food etc. NYC is not cheap by any means.

I love Miami and the Tampa area (Clearwater, St Pete) but Orlando is a pit like a lot of inland FL. Never been to Jacksonville.

Love Cali but it is not cheap unless you motel it. LA traffic is a nightmare. There’s movie studios to visit outside the city if that’s your sorta thing. San Francisco is great though not cheap either. Driving up the Cali coast through Big Sur is a treat.

Houston is unbearably hot and humid. I hear Austin is great. Never been to Dallas or San Antonio

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Im a city boy so I'm all for urban and concrete.

In California (depending on where you are) I train at AKA, San Jose but you need a car. Public transport is near non existant there.

NYC is one of my favourite places and easy to walk around in. Renzo Gracie Academy was welcoming but I didnt get a chance to train there.

10. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Choosing the best vacation.

Here are my 3 favorites:

- Puget Sound island hopping.
    - Glacier National Park hiking.
    - California coast line from LA to Eureka along HW 1.

As far as the following, there is nothing to see there (I have lived in Austin for 43 years).

- Texas (Huston -> San Antonio -> Austin -> Dallas)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  11. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Detroit, Cleveland and Chicago come to mind for me.. You can't beat the rust belt of the midwest to get a good idea of how the working man lives

12. Trav360

Trav360 New Member

really.. I thought the only downfall of Texas is the weather.. I'll check this again on TripAdvisor.

13. Trav360

Trav360 New Member

I don't know Midwest not looks so attractive for some reason (at least for me).

14. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Do the coastal run from NYC to Maine.. I did it a few years ago and had a blast.. I had a few days to kill and took a bus from Montgomery Alabama all the way to Maine.. Met some real interesting folks on that trip and the scenery was beautiful this time of year

15. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Texas (Huston -> San Antonio -> Austin -> Dallas)

Houston - NASA, Galveston,
    San Antonio - Alamo, River walking, Sea World,
    Austin - Capital, UT Austin, town lake, Lake Travis,
    Dallas - 6 flag,

Between those cities, there are Inner Space Cavern, Natural Bridge Cave, San Marcos, ...

By the way, from Las Vegas to Phoenix can be a fun drive.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016