Nachi's Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Nachi, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Tuesday 19.4.16

16:00-17:00 - Mini class:
    Four kids today, one still has a sulking period, going off for no reason just after the inicial etiquette. Apparently, he's acting like this at home, at kindergarden and everywhere. Anyway, I let the kids spar lightly and wanted them to put a cloth n their eyes to blindfold them, while they keep the gloves and try to find me by my voice and hit. I thought it a fun game, when the two kids would take the gloves off and the third one look desperate upon hearing that he wouldn't be able to see. I remembered that just yesterday sensei encouraged us to not be swayed by the kids and if we say something, it goes. So I didn't let them off the hook and said ok, if you don't want the gloves and won't participate, fine, but you won't just sit here. You don't participate, ok, but do 30 squats to at least work out. And to my surprise when I looked the second time, both the kids were putting the gloves back on :D Lol. I had no idea it would be that easy...

18:00-20:00 - Advanced class:
    - Junbi Undo
    - Rounds of a well, sparring game - slap the other person and defend, what we also did yesterday. Actually in these two days I think I found a guard that works well for this type of "sparring" :) And surprisingly today I was able to dodge a few hits, which made me really happy, because my dodging abilities aren't that great :D
    - Battle games
    - Each of us added a strike to a sequence up to 6 moves that we practised in pairs, then in a group of three when the younger ones had to leave. The last move was a flying front kick that we got to practise after some time :)
    - In the last 30 minutes we quickly went through all the bunkai for Gekisai Dai Ichi, Ni and Saifa and 8th, 9th, 11th and 12th bunkai from Seiyunchin

1 Sanchin

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  2. Nachi

ONE YEAR OF KEEPING A TRAINING LOG :)

Yep, it's been exactly a year since I started keeping a training log here on MAP and wrote down ALL of my trainings :)
    And just for fun (ok, I was procrastinating in between writing my thesis) :Angel: I went through the log and counted how much time I spent training! :) So here's a little summary: :)

Since April 20th 2015 I spent:

- 405 hours training in karate! :) (including the few of my work-outs at home, although they were not always about karate, sometimes just a bodyweight training). But still, I think it's not too bad! :) I also added 15 hours for the individual Sanchin katas that I did at home.

- 61 hours teaching karate (or rarely being an assistant teacher) in children classes! :) That being mostly starting September, the previus school year me teaching happend only rarely, when the senseis called for help

- It was shortly after starting this training log that I decided practising Sanchin kata each day. Well, sometimes I forgot or didn't have the opportunity or was ill, but counting the Sanchin katas I did at hme and during classes together, there were around:
    - 413 Sanchin kata :) - I'm content since this number gives in total more than ne Sanchin a day for the past year ^^

- And from what I wrote down (which was most of it), only 28 hours of other sports (while an hour of kickbox was added to the karate classes, for example, because it was very similar) :)

Anyway, I think this summary is nice. I've been training quite a lot. During the uni semester 4 times a week, one or two trainings a day + most often two kids classes a week (starting in September). I spent A LOT of time in the dojo and travelling there and back. It's unknown if and how long I'll be able to keep this pace and if this isn't perhaps (MA-wise) the most productive time of my life :) Only future will bring the answer. Sooo, I'm looking forward to start the second year of this log tomorrow! :)

Oh, and coincidentaly, this is also my 444th post on MAP :D

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Well done on keeping up the log! :)

4. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

All you people make me look bad, counting all your class time :p

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Actually, your log is the one that inspired me to start tracking my time!

6. aaradia

Well done Nachi. Actually, your log is my favorite one to read!

7. Nachi

Thank you! ^_^

Heh, sorry about that! :D I'm not planning to count the time regularly after each lesson, but since I've done the log for a year, I thought a short summary was in order (perhaps I'm just biased by spending time with statistics for my diploma thesis at the moment :D).
    Aaand, if I manage to keep it up for another year, it would be a nice comparison, how much my activity grew, or rather, declined (it's hard to imagine I'd have time for even more training) :)

Seriously? Thanks, that's really nice to hear! :) I was recently wondering if there's actually anyone who dares to read my super long entries about training and everything around! :D Haha, I actually enjoy reading your log the most, too. Probably because there are some similarities between what we do etc. :)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  8. Nachi

Wednesday 20.4.16:

17:30-18:30 - Beginner class at uni:

- Warm-up with well, "battling" in pairs - push the other person on the other side of the dojo, pull him, push him while sitting down, try to turn him from lying on their front side on their back, wrestle them, put them on the back from a squatting position etc.
    - Kihon - basic techniques in pairs. On count, usually around 80 - 110 reps for each technique, sometimes x 2. I was paired with sensei, it was kind of fun at times. Each person was counting to 10 and doing the techniques in pairs had to be synchronized unless we wanted to hit each other. If one side did the technique or two and only then the other side started, sensei always was the first. So he probably took the opportunity to go faster than people counted and forced me to pay attention, so I suspect he just wanted to beat me since he had the opportunity. :D When it was my time to count, he always started his hit before I said anything and forced me to take action and count faster according to his tempo. His idea of fun :D Although I had t admit, towards the end the rounds ended with us laughing, sweatdrops showering all around :D
    - + always 10 push-ups in between techniques, there were at least 70-80 altogether
    - Then in those same pairs one round or sparring - few minutes (without gear). I went against sensei, it's been long since last time. He let me hit him sometimes to see if I actually try and how hard, though I would usually eat a punch or a kick back. He was trying again and again to disturb my balance by sweeps, only aimed at my front leg. He once tried to take me down, without trying too hard and only barely did I manage to keep standing, which probably led him to think it's time to take it to the ground and charge me. I decided I won't lose that easily and resisted his chokes and generally just being crushed underneath him :D I think my practising occasionally with a friend taught me, if nothing else, to keep my limbs together and put my feet in a way of whatever my sparring partner is trying to pull off, preferably shove them in their face, which I practised today as well :D Sensei wasn't hell bent on tapping me out, rather always tried to put me in a not comfortable position (elbow on neck or a finger to press you know, a choking spot on my neck etc.) and see what I'll do about it. I actually really enjoyed that, trying to figure out how to get rid or his arms, free my arm using legs and push his chin away. As always I should practise more :)

1 Sanchin

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  9. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Ha ha, that's the sweet irony. Your numbers make me look so, so lazy :p Although I recon it would look better if I corrected for class time.

For me (since I do a reasonable amount of home-practice) it's incredibly useful. Tracking week to week lets me know if I'm staying on track, which is the easiest way to stay on track. Year by year could be interesting too... I suspect my times have been going up, albeit erratically, since I started training.

As a rule, it is the more detailed logs that are the most interesting to read - after all, you can always skip the bits you find boring :D I feel quite guilty whenever I just post like a month's worth of training as a list of headlines and times. Who wants to read that?

10. Nachi

I can definitely see the advantage of that :) It wouldn't be that useful fr me, though, since I usually only attend regular trainings, mst of the time same each week :D Sooo, the inter-week comparison would be rather boring in my case :)
    If your times are going up, that's a good think! Perhaps that might motivate you all the more to record the times :)

Heh, that's nice of you and you're probably right, although sometimes I tend to write really long-winded stories :D But certainly, I'm indeed not forcing anyone to read it ^^
    Thanks for the encouragement! :)

11. Nachi

Thursday 21.4.16:

Next week I need to turn in my finished diploma thesis. Since my teacher doesn't have much time to go through it and I'm rewriting some stuff according to his advises and comments as he hands them to me, I'm of course, as every normal person I suppose, writing until the last moment. I had consultation today and needed to finish things soon, so, although I came to the dojo early, right after that, I sat down with my laptop and especially after I asked sensei and found out today's training will be more or less the same as yesterday's at the uni, I decided to skip and work some more on my thesis. Me skipping a training, especially when I'm already in the dojo is really something! That perhaps shows even me how serious things are :D
    I finished what I wanted, though, did a little bit of stretching and attended the advanced class. :)

20:00-21:30 - Advanced class:
    Going through all four of our kata (Gekisai Dai Ichi, Gakidai Dai Ni, Saifa, Seiyunchin) each according to a model:

1. kata slowly
    2. kata slowly, each move/technique repeated 3x
    3. With a stone held in both arms, go through the kata (focusing on the steps, without using hands) and in each step only turn the stone around, so you hold its weight on the other hand
    3. chi-ishi - go through the kata holding chi-ishi in the right hand
    4. ... and in left
    5. Nigiri game - go through the kata holding the vases (I got the somewhat heavier ones), when there's block, hold it up, when strike, hold it up and outstrech wrist with in. In shiko-dachi only keep hlding them down
    6. Kata full-power (and after working with the weights here it felt really awesme, like I suddenly had so much power! :D
    7. Take a partner and go through all the bunkai for the kata - once for right and left sides
    8. We all made a circle (5 people around on in the middle) and each person attack the middle one, who defends with the bunkai, full power if possible (for Seiyunchin we only did the first 5 bunkai as there wasn't much time and we aren't so familiar with them, so we could practise the five for a bit longer)

...next kata...

1 Sanchin

12. Nachi

Friday 22.4.16: 1 Sanchin

Saturday 23.4.16:

I need to move after a whole day working on a laptop and I'm not in a very good mood lately, so I'm challenging my body and determination a little with some, although quick exercises :)

3 Sanchin
    5-min plank
    5-min horse stance
    1-min cat stance for each side
    2-min reverse plank
    5 one-leg squats for each side (for the left especially I needed to help prop myself up a tiny bit from the critical position down - I'm not in form :D )
    20 V-ups
    20 knuckle push-ups
    100 calf raises

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  13. Nachi

Sunday 24.4.16:

3 Sanchin
    1 Gekisai Dai Ichi
    1 Gekisai Dai Ni
    1 Saifa
    1 Seiyunchin
    1 Shisochin - well, sort of. I tried to see if I still remember the steps, but had truble at at 3 places, one of which I messed up so continued from where I remembered, although I cmpletely forgot the maybe couple of steps in between.

I wanted to do a bit more work-out, but again, the whole day was spent with school stuff, so I only kept tightening some muscles until they hurt while sitting at the laptop (desperate, I know :D) only to not feel like doing absolutely nothing and be annoyed because of it...

14. aaradia

When you say "all four of our kata"- do you mean all four at your level, all four in your style, or something else?:confused:

15. Nachi

Oh, that is confusing, I see. Sorry about that :D

I meant all the kata I know, in this case all the kata the four of us students know at our level (with the exception of breathing kata like Sanchin and Tensho).

16. Nachi

Monday 25.4.16:

When we arrived, unusually today the dojo was already open and there was a bunch of guys I've never seen before with equipment like ropes and mats. Later sensei thought they might be a group of stuntmen the other sensei mentioned would practise in our dojo.

16:30-17:30 - Beginner children class:
    Sensei told us last week to come teach the children class every week, without the need to always ask which sensei teaches today. Well, I did as told, however sensei didn't tell second sensei (pretty much as I thought), who came today. So there was a sensei and us two assistants for a class of 5 kids...
    Therefore I participated in the class and helper correct mistakes if I saw some.
    - slapping game
    - Practising up to first 8 steps of the first kata
    - partner drills: tsuki + yoko uke

18:30-20:15 - Beginner adult class:
    There's a rather new girl who's really nice and kind and my friend. She from time to time complained about slight pain or weird feeling in her side. Month and a half later she decided to visit a doctor to find out she actually had a broken rib and shouldn't exercise much. So she came today, refusing to not train and promising she'll take it lightly. Oh well, since two years ago I was coming to the dojo and a big seminar with crutches that I tossed aside at the entrance, I can't really give her an good example of how to act, but I sure hope she won't hurt it even more :( Some people are crazy... :)

- Practising mae geri, then also uraken uchi and gyaku tsuki in pairs - one person does whichever of these technique, the other quickly repeats. Several rounds.
    - Stretching and (belly) workout in pairs
    Sensei did the most reasonable thing that was there to do today - she sent the guys to bring the mats the group of stuntmen left here :D With them we practised always from standing position. We had the mats after all! :D Although as most of the others I chose the thinner ones as the thick were simply too soft.
    - We went through: falling forward, backward, sideways and mae ukemi as well as ushiro ukemi (that I did perhaps only once before to no avail, but today was much better with senseis explanation) :)
    - around 100 calf raises

Again, no SD class for me, a friend went through my thesis and was kind enough to go through it again with me and tell me the things to change - formal ones mostly.

3 Sanchin

17. Nachi

Tuesday 26.4.16:

2 Sanchin

Today when I came to the dojo, it was again lively with the group of stuntmen + one stuntwoman practising for the movie they're going to appear in. I was really surprised any of the Czech films or series would need stuntmen as all Czech films tend to be (in my opinion at least) terrible soap operas, but they told me their practising for a foreign one. I'm going to watch it! :) Heh, since I met them there, I used the opportunity ask if I could use the mats they brought for the children trainings. :) Really polite of me, right (considering my plan for the class already included them)? :D

16:00-17:00 - Mini class:

Two boys today. We played some games they enjoyed, practised a bit of punching and kicking the mats, then I tried to teach them how to fall, but it was not easy, so we didn't do it for too long and used the mats for some fighting and shortly practising somersaults.

Sensei appeared in the dojo, but basically only came to tell me he unfortunately has to leave now, so take care of the classes. Oh well... :D

17:00-18:00 - Yellow-belted kids:
    Class full of rascals that's rather hard to teach. And when I occasionaly do teach here, it's mostly with a friend of mine. Who was at work, today... Anyway, I managed to tame them somewhat, sent them to bring all the mats. For a warm-up we did mae-ukemi. I explained to those who wanted r struggled with it, the rest soon turned into a mess.... Using the mats on sensei's advise I practised with them the 4th bunkai of the first kata that includes a sweep and a take down. So they can fall safely. I started from the first moves up to the whole bunkai and didn't have time for any other. Two teenagers of the same of similar grade to me came towards the end and offered help, so I invited them to come and help with the corrections.
    Final work-out I participated in:
    - holding legs slightly above the ground while lying, then leg scissors to sides, up and down and swinging the legs completely up and down in an alternating fashion. Heh, they seem to really dislike this kind of stuff and were struggling quite a bit. Hmm, I'm going to practise with them next time I'm in this class as well :D
    - 1-min plank
    - 10 jumping squats
    - 100 calf raises. They were making faces, but when (at 70) I asked them if they take the challenge to do a 100, they were all up to it :) That's the spirit! :D
    Also one of the biggest rascals there perhaps took my words last time to heart. When I told him that if he wants to be loud etc. in the class, he should be able to take responsibility for his actions and at least do the workout punishment he's always given really well. When today he got 20 push-ups, he came to me proudly to announce that he did 25! :) That made me happy, although then he proceeded to ask if he can cut his next punishment by those 5 push-ups... *facepalm*.

18:15-20:00 - Advanced adult and children class:
    Started a bit late since I needed to eat something... When I came back, the students only kept arguing and thinking about what to do in this class. I'm no boss there, although the final word somehow probably was up to me. I asked for opinions, but everyone wanted something different. Then I decided to repeat the advanced training frm last Thursday, since I was the only one who was there out of this group (the other two came late :p). I did shorten it a little since most of the teenagers always leaves at 19:00. So:

Gekisai Dai Ichi, Ni, Saifa & Seiyunchin:

1. kata slowly
    2. With a stone held in both arms, go through the kata (focusing on the steps, without using hands) and in each step only turn the stone around, so you hold its weight on the other hand
    3. chi-ishi - go through the kata holding chi-ishi in the right hand
    4. ... and in left
    5. Nigiri game - go through the kata holding the vases (I got the somewhat heavier ones), when there's block, hold it up, when strike, hold it up and outstretch wrist with in. In shiko-dachi only keep holding them down
    6. Kata full-power
    7. All the bunkai - people in the circle attack, person in the center defends with each bunkai once

... next kata

For the Seiyunchin there was only three of us left and we quickly went through all the bunkai. The other two remaining people preset worked on their Saifa since they don't know Seiyunchin. Or rather on of them was teaching Saifa to the other...

3 Sanchin (still in class, I already did 2 at home before classes)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  18. Nachi

Wednesday 27.4.16:

3 Sanchin

17:30-18:30 - Beginner class at uni:
    - Warm-up with a game of tag either stepping only on the green or on the red and blue mats. Heh, we didn't play it much this semester, it was so much fun, though! :D Sensei pushed me in a crner and threw me out of the designated field so I had to do push-ups, but I paid him back right away. Always, when I got the tag and sensei was nearby, he started out so quickly that it simply drew my attention and I just gt an urge to catch him in particular. He probably also took it as chellenge to escape, until he ended up with ne foot on one red field, second foot on a completely unrelated red field and since there was nowhere to run to anymore, he just jumped away, landing flat completely on the green :D Heh, it was kind of satisfactory :D

- "kata challenge" - in pairs we practise technique sensei thought up and after a while always a selected person picks another technique and we practise the whole sequence. I was paired with my friend with the broken rib (she still thinks it's perfectly fine to come to trainings), so we took it easier and I didn't really tried the final takedown on her, while she was very gentle when trying on me. Hopefully she won't aggravate it :(

- 4 short rounds of sparring, only head contact forbidden. I went lightly with this girl, then was paired with another who obviusly had some MA history and it was fun. She kicked a lot and I was nicely surprised I developped the reflex to block kicks with my leg. She stopped when she kicked my knee. I didn't intend to, but somehow the blocking started to come automatically...
    - Last round (slightly longer than the others - sensei had a good partner, and at those occasions he tends to forget himself :)) the Shotokan guy came to me. I got a bit afraid what he was up to, because he put on his own gloves and gumshield... So I thought he didn't looked like he's coming for a light spar :D Hehe, good for me, though. Never sparred with him before. It was good. He left the attacking to me at the beginning and used my openings. I got hit in head repeatedly before I realized he's not buying into the "no head contact" sensei announced. Not that I mind, but I was more careful when I found out and attacked back. Luckily managed to always stop soon, since I had no gear... From the beginning my partner tried some really nice kicks, I'd say and was going for my front leg with his sweeps. It wouldn't be that easy, though... Until I got in a bad position and totally knew that a much better sweep+push was coming and I am going down, so I grabbed where I could, because, naturally, I don't want to go down alone! :D He managed to keep on his feet, but I got his neck or something, so he was bent over me and I was just trying to again annoy him with my legs (best strategy ever, I know! :D) and if possible take him down. We were struggling like that for a while, until I pulled (not that I intended and even realized, but he said I put him in) an armbar (too bad I don't remember how it happened XD), so that to prevent me from finishing it he lifted me up from the floor (damn the weight difference! XD). I would be TOTALLY super happy if he tapped out somehow and would keep reminding him till the end of time! :D :evil: He's making fun of me and provoking me way too often lately! :mad: After that, though, I took him down, but after a while he stood up so we would continue striking, but it was the end of the round. It wasn't long, but I enjoyed sparring with him :) He does sparring more than anything I reckon. And it was visible, or at least I think he was really controlled, since whenever he hit my head, it was always a "safe" punch to the forehead.
    - Then a ground spar with the muai thai friend, because he probably made me mad with some of his stupid remarks, which originally inspired the Shotokan guy anyway... :D Lol, he actually praised me I was learning, since it took him a while to tap me out (he went lightly and slowly on me, though, as always :)). Because I don't know any techniques, but I know that whichever limb of mine he's trying to get, I don't want to let him :D Basically I have no way to win, but I'm going to struggle until the end! :D

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  19. Nachi

Thursday 28.4.16:

I have no idea when or how it happened but yesterday when going from the training my right wrist started hurting a little, getting worse today. I don't recall hitting it or hurting it in any way, but today moving it hurts :(
    So when I came to the dojo and saw the children class was a sparring one, I didn't feel particularly happy today

18:30-20:15 - Beginner adult class:
    - slapping sparing game - cca 5 or more rounds (I was generally using only one hand, though bandaging and thus fixating the wrist helped really a lot)
    - stretching in pairs - quite thoroughly today. I ended up partnered with sensei, so it was thorough all the more considering his strenght and weight :D
    - Partner drills with gloves on - variations of attacks and strategies to use in sparring
    - 3 rounds of sparring
    - Again, I don't even knw how I got the habit to block kicks with my shin, but it sure proves effective :) First partner gave up kicking when she kicked my knee and it only hurt her, second partner was all fired up and put more strenght into her strikes and kicks... So she kicked hard and I already knew it wouldn't end well the instant I put my leg up. She kicked her shin hard into my knee and ended up down. I feel really bad for I know how much that hurts - I still have a bump on my shin and it hurts a bit, although it's a five months old injury X( I hope she'll be fine...

Today I spent most of the day before training travelling from one side of Prague to another to print, bind and hand in my (finally!) finished diploma thesis. Therefre I was really looking to trainings, but unfortunately the second, advanced training was cancelled for we were putting together our registratins and payments for the World Budsai in Okinawa this summer (so I guess the time was after all spent well) :)

1 Sanchin

20. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Hope the wrist heals up quickly! Injuries suck, particularly those you can't figure out how and when they happened!