Title meaning>?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Kframe, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Hey guys I know im not in anymore, but I got some news in my feed about A few of the Japanese shihan getting new ranks. Noguchi Shihan and Nagato Sensei both were awarded Dai Shihan.

I am just curious what it exactly means, for them and for the organization.

2. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

Hmmm intriguing....... The 'dai' in this case could be 'bigger' 'better', sort of 'more senior, seniors' I think? Why he chose those two is a bigger question I think.
    Rest assured gaijin holiday making 'shihan' under one or the other, or worse both! Just increased their fee per lesson !

3. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I suspect that he's simply re-iterating which shihan are the ones that we should follow

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  4. Pankeeki

Pankeeki Valued Member

Or its just another new rank to aspire for, since here a so many 15th dan in the world, everybody and his dog already has a gold medal and the other extra menkyo. Maybe Hatsumi sensei is all out of presents to keep the masses happy. So I believe there will be more daishihan very soon.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Paraphrasing the words of the legendary Nigel Tufnel..."these grades go up to eleven".

6. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Yup for sure

"Keep going" rewards perhaps

7. Bonesdoc

Bonesdoc Valued Member

Saw this posted by Duncan Stewart elsewhere and seemed to make the most sense based on what little we know of this:

I haven't seen the kanji. Standard kanji would be:
    大 - Large,Big.
    師 - expert, teacher, master.
    範 - example, model.
    Dai Shihan in the art of Shakuhachi refers to Souke or Grandmaster status. It's primary meaning was " the
    one who brings water."
    From Wikipedia:
    "The title of Sōke-dai as a title for their assistant as the leader of their school. The Japanese character dai used in this context translates as "in place of." Thus, a shihan-dai, sōke-dai, or sōke-dairi means "someone who teaches in temporary place of" the main instructor, for reasons such as the incapacity of the sōke due to injuries or illnesses.
    So, here you go, there are a few possibilities as to the meaning of what this all means. However, we cannot be sure exactly and we should wait to hear it directly from Soke and Nagato Sensei. Please just continue training!
    南虎

8. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

It is a term I have seldom seen used, but when it was it was in the world of traditional Japanese music. It basically means this:

http://kotobank.jp/word/大師範

世界大百科事典内の大師範の言及
    【大師】より
    …大師範または大導師の意。釈迦,あるいはその教えを尊んで大師と称するが,中国において学徳すぐれ帝王の師となるべき高僧の敬称として用いられ,やがてもっぱら死後に贈られる諡号(しごう)となった。…

Here is a rough translation of the above.

If you are not in the organization, it means nothing. If you are in the organization but not the person receiving this rank, or one of their deshi, it means nothing. If you are the one receiving the rank, what does it mean after a lifetime of dedication to the arts? A black belt is the first step but the Menkyo are all one needs . If you don't know what this means, do not speculate. The translation ends with this haiku:

What is the sound of one hand googling?

Just kidding. The definition is of a master, grandmaster, or master level instructor. I came across a music teacher of a traditional Japanese instrument who used the title themselves on their business card but that was the only time I ever saw it. They were quite pleased with their own prowess, so that might tell you something. It was kind of like calling yourself "maestro."

The above definition says the term originates in Buddhism and originally was used for the Buddha(Shakyamuni, or an ambassador that revered his teachings. In China, it was a title reserved for a master who taught the Emperor, usually received after their death.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  9. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

. I did google it, and honestly didn't know what I was looking at. Yea it means nothing to me but I was curious. Edit out whining. Pr your a fount of knowledge but I sometimes struggle with trying to understand what your saying behind what your saying. The inflection. For some reason I took that very combatively. Which im sure was not the case.

You are how ever correct, for me outside the org now, and probably a lot in it, it does not matter or affect them. Part of the reason I asked was because I don't know a lot about how organizations like this run. I didn't know if this was some kind of power reshuffling or some other thing.

10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

dai shihan - Doesn't that means they've been promoted to being welsh?

11. Please reality

Not combatively, not at all. Just being tongue in cheek(if you read the spoiler, you can see I answered the question). However, I have learned to ignore a lot of the things that many spend a lot of time on. I don't really care what happens in the Genbukan or Jinenkan except as a point of curiosity because I'm not a member. The why's and how's of why x Sensei left or what y Sensei said is really unimportant. It's funny because usually what you hear when you listen to rumors is much more mundane when the truth comes out. I comment on a lot of things but the only thing that I care about is the movement, which you can only get from the ryu.

What is important is following your teacher, stealing their movement, correct practice, and nothing else.

Whatever awards or titles one has, they won't change your taijutsu. There is only one way to do that.

12. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

I seen it in a karate organization I was once in 'Nippon dai budo Kai '
    Maybe 'greatest Japanese warrior organization '? I always thought.....
    but if your a >45kg curry munching basement dweller, with beer bottle bottom glasses, you likely don't care

13. skuggvarg

skuggvarg Valued Member

Dai Shihan means just 'big' shihan or 'great' shihan. People can interpret it any way they like but please also note it says 'Bujinkan Dojo Dai Shihan'. People aleays confuse the Bujinkan with the individual ryu-ha. Soke is not soke of the Bujinkan but of a couple of Ryu-ha.

Regards / Skuggvarg

14. Niinpo

Niinpo 万変不驚 Banpen Fugyo

Firstly congratulations to Nagato and Noguchi Dai-Shihan's they certainly deserve what ever reward they get as they are both excellent very dedicated students of Soke and have been for many years.

From my perspective you will have to wait until you receive the reward until you know what it means to you, at least this has been the case for me for each grade and award I have received from Soke. (Sorry if that sounds patronising - not meant to, just my personal explanation :) )

To some extent when Soke gives you an award that is personal to you from him and may be for a number of reasons, there is an element of recognition but also many other things.

The main thing, as usual is just to keep going.....

Regarding the meaning of "Dai" we use this in a few places in the Bujinkan, at the start and end of every class we say "shikin haramitsu dai koumyo" which roughly has something to do with big or great white light as does Soke Hatsumis birthday seminar which is called Daikoumyosai - again something to do with going towards the great white or shinning light - I take it to mean going towards the shinning example - the teachings of Grandmaster and former Grandmasters being a beacon of light.

15. Pankeeki

Pankeeki Valued Member

I know somebody in the Uk who got a gold medal for having his own teeth.
    That is what I have been told at least....

16. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Perhaps it was a comment on his social skills? He was telling him he was lucky someone hadn't knocked them out yet?

:D

17. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

Let's not get too carried away here. Dai is regular japanese meaning that thing your talking about to a greater extent. For example, the big earthquake of 3 years ago wasn't just a disaster it was a great disaster.

18. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Not sure I see your differing of opinion with Niinpo. Are you not just saying the same thing?

19. Please reality

Kind of different. I think benkyoka is pointing out that 大 just means big, and not to attribute any special or mystical meaning to it. For example, you have your big and small ben, shoben the one you usually do standing, and dai the one you sit or squat down to accomplish. Nothing great or mysterious here, although if you haven't been able to do so for several days, I guess I can see how it could be a relief. So, it is used in very mundane everyday language and not worth making special mention of things that may confuse. We aren't talking crap or anything, just discussing another thing that distracts people away from training and improving their taijutsu.;)

20. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Thanks for the information guys, I appreciate it. PR I did infact go back and read your spoiler, as I missed it the first time.

I wonder why he would do this though. I would think by now that they no longer need incentives to keep going, as they have been with him this long, why leave or stop now?