Observing, looking, and head turning

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Rebel Wado, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I was looking in another thread and got inspired to write down what I provide my students about turning your head and looking. Maybe one day I will finish my book I've been working on :mad:

Basically, we are taught to look first and then move. However, it makes more sense to align the body to attack while looking, then if you must attack, you are ready.

Here is what I wrote down about this:

--------------------------------------------
    Observing, looking, and head turning
    --------------------------------------------

It takes brain power to process what we see. The following methods describe methods for processing what we see.

Observing/scanning
    In this method, you look passed something, process anything that looks unusual or out of place, and then slowly move to the next object/area. It takes time, so it is generally done from a safe distance or position.
    • Scanning around a corner: Start with your back close to the wall next to the corner you will be looking around. If looking with your right eye around the corner on your left, you don’t want to tilt your head but instead align your eye just passed your nose so that your eye, nose, and corner form a straight line. Slowly creep around the corner so you can see more and more around the corner while leaving the smallest amount of your body to be seen by anyone that is around the corner. If done really well, all that could be seen is your eye and a little bit of your head.

Note: The head is not turned, but instead aligned and the body slow turns around the corner from a distance. Take care to keep your hands and arms in as if holding a weapon to your rear side.
    • Scanning for someone behind you: There may be times when you want to see what is following behind you in a more subtle manner. Walk forward with your head down looking at the ground. As you step forward, angle your step a bit to the inside so your body slightly turns. As your body turns you will be able to see what is behind you. Practice this so that it just seems casual and does not give away your intention to see behind you.

Note: When you step with your right foot slightly across your body, slow down for a moment as you look down and back to your left. Do the same for the opposite side when you step with your left foot. It takes practice, but if you walk with a limp, you can see how subtle the look can be.
    • Scanning an area in martial arts training: Rarely do we scan a large area in combat due to how vulnerable it can leave ourselves when not in a position of safety. There are times outside of combat that we do practice scanning. For example, when we salute a classroom of our fellow students we scan left to right and right to left. We keep the head turning to a minimum, preferring to rotate the body and protect our centerline.

Glancing (taking a snapshot)
    As noted, scanning takes time. Instead, a quick look can be used to see an area. You can quickly look towards something and then move back to a safer position to process what you saw.

• Glancing around a corner: Start kneeling three to five feet from the corner. Align your hands to your target through the wall (e.g. if there was no wall, your hands would be pointing towards the target). Lean out to the side and take a snapshot of what is around the corner. Pop the head back and process in your mind what you saw.
    • Looking in martial arts training (striking instinct): In many cases, you are told to look first then strike. This is for various reasons around safety and control, but also so you don’t miss. The premise is that you first look then you move. This premise is somewhat misleading. If you look and do nothing, it is like you have a firearm with no bullet in the chamber. Instead, what is preferred is that you align yourself to attack as you look. Then should you decide to strike, you are ready.

One exercise is to imagine two opponents, one on your left and one on your right. Drop down into horse stance, tuck your head towards your right bicep. With your right hand slap the opponent on the right in the groin and bring your left hand over your shoulder so you spear him in the eye if he bends forward.

Tuck your chin towards your left bicep and prepare yourself to attack the opponent on your left. Execute a double punch to the left opponent’s face (e.g. left back fist and right cross done together).

Tuck your chin towards your right bicep and look at the right opponent. Shuffle in and strike them with your right elbow to your side.

Face the left opponent, front snap kick them in the groin. Follow-up with right punch together with a right back kick (similar to a superman punch).

Note: The range of head turning is shortened in lieu of tucking the chin to see to the side quicker. This takes less brain processing time because you look directly at the opponent rather than turning the head and scanning the area.

------------------------

Well that is a section out of Chapter 6. So far I have nine chapters and six appendixes, but most of it is still in draft form. I don't know how many years this thing is going to take. I want to add diagrams and pictures. :cry:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015