Can I learn krav maga and systema?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by SilatSean, Mar 4, 2015.

1. SilatSean

SilatSean New Member

Thats was pretty funny philosoraptor thanks for the laugh.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Based on what?

It depends on training methodology rather than anything else is the tactful answer

Honest answer? Probably not

3. SilatSean

SilatSean New Member

So if it doesnt work out cross training in krav maga or systema than which one should I go with?

4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

BJJ or judo. Or boxing. Or TKD. Or anything.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Boxing/muay thai & wrestling/judo/bjj:)

6. philosoraptor

Slow on the draw old man.

7. SilatSean

SilatSean New Member

I already did boxing bjj and judoi would like to tryself defnse cus I meant which one should i try meaning either krav maga or systema but thanks for the options. But I will contact the krav maga and systema place to ask them for their opinions on crosstraining between krav maga and systema.

8. philosoraptor

One is never done with BJJ, boxing or judo. The KM place will tell you to focus on KM, the systema place will tell you to focus on systema. Pearls before swine, I tell you what.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  9. Docholiday

Docholiday Valued Member

Did you train all three arts at the same time? How long in each? What makes you think krav and systems are effective? The fully compliant demos or the mystique of deadly operator/paramilitary soldier?
    How did you evaluate these schools? Reviews are often misleading, they're either current students or those with an ax to grind. How do these schools train? Do they spar? How long before they let you spar? I'm increasingly skeptical of what I see from systema, I just haven't seen it in action and based on my experience it doesn't seem plausible. There seem to be a few viable ground escape techniques but i get the impression that a lot of time is spent on compliant unrealistic drills. Don't but into marketing or claims of "the deadly combat arts". Krav can be okay but it often borders on larping. Keep in mind the founder of krav trained boxing, judo, and wrestling. Much can be lost in super systems that claim to offer the best of everything. There are no shortcuts for fundamentals. Go back to judo or bjj, or take up boxing you'll be well on your way to some solid fundamentals.

10. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Not to sound elitist, but one thing i always seemed to pick up from systema guys i met, was they were the sorts of people who tried combat sambo and didn't do very well.

11. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I used to train with some Russian who had done systema. The phrase "never go back" came up a few times. It was all they would say and I think they were trying to be diplomatic.

12. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

If the weather is too cold, stay outta the leglock!

13. SilatSean

SilatSean New Member

Well I know kravzone has sparring and I believe the combat sports academy has a class dedicated to that on saturdays called fight class I believe but your right I just dont know I need to think this through on what im going to do.

14. Mantis Matt

Mantis Matt Valued Member

Ok, I've never taken either Systema or Krav Maga, yet seen both. So, this is just my opinion based upon observing what the students were doing. Systema looks far more 'fluid' (almost like Aikido or Taiji) where Krav Maga has a more direct aspect. I'm not going as far to suggest Systema is 'soft", while Krav Maga is 'hard', yet the styles appear to utilize very different principles. My advice is don't try both, as they are very different and the learning process would be slow as you are trying to learn two very opposing principles. It might be possible to learn either, then pick up the other later.

15. SilatSean

SilatSean New Member

Ok thanks for the help guys I will do more research on it but thanks again.

16. SilatSean

SilatSean New Member

Hey guys just curious if systema doesn't work with krav maga what would be another self defense martial art to learn like combat sambo or something else if so explain to me why the martial art you chose would be a better option. Also is combat sambo a good self defense martial art like krav maga?

17. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Have you started trying either yet? No need to get bogged down in "what if this doesn't work with that" just yet. Answer the first question before moving onto the second.

Try one or both. Decide if one or both work for you. Then proceed to the next question based on your answers to your first questions.

Why bother worrying about combat sambo working with Krav Maga until you have tried a Krav Maga class and made some decisions about studying that? Maybe you will hate the Krav Maga style or school, in which case worrying about how Combat Sambo meshes with it is pointless.

I have seen too many people on forums get all bogged down with questions like these to the point that it delays their actually starting training in any system.

Go try some free trial lessons in all the schools that interest you. Once you have taken the first step, then start asking about the second step.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  18. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Me personaly I would recomend that if your studying one style aimed towards 'self defense' then you would be better off topping that off with something different. A more sporty style like bjj, judo, wrestling, boxing, kickboxing, muaythai or mma would be my recommendation. I know they are not aimed at self defense per say but they will give you an outlet to test your skills and work under pressure.

One big flaw with a lot of 'street' and 'self defense styles' is they often lack a means to test what works as the training is often cooperative wich can lead to delusional beleif in each others abilities. Sport styles may lack 'teh d3adly' but they are honest, if it works or doesn't you will find out quite quickly.

Just my suggestion.

Another thing to consider is that combat sambo is not an easy style to find in the west and it is in many ways very similar to MMA (according to what I have read-never studied it my self) any way so a decent mma class may be the best compromise if your interested in combat sambo.

Id encourage you to read and take to heart aaradias comment above, just get out there and start learning. Worry about the details later just start trying clubs out for now :)

19. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Combat SAMBO is great for teaching you to throw down, and the emphasis on dumping your opponent while remaining standing and finishing immediately if you end up stuck on the ground is a better approach when weapons and backup (yours or his) are potentially in play, I think. As opposed to a tighter approach, geared toward scoring positional points and finishing subs primarily. Both work fine, I just like the ability to hit a throw or trip and then step back. Get away, use a weapon, suppress with strikes when they try to get back up or whatever. It gives you a lot of options and a little time from a dominant position.

The problem is, it's really hard to find in the west, and it still generally doesn't directly address weapons, multiple opponents/teammates, preflight, post fight etc. You'll be able to fight, but fitting that skillset into verbal altercations, varying levels of aggression from your opponent, ambushes, and the legality of your actions is important too.

Honestly, joining an MMA school to improve with regards to fighting ability and moonlighting at a decent RBSD school like Krav or some defensive tactics classes for your scenarios, weapons and all that should cover your bases pretty well.

You just need unscripted, resistant training (scenarios, sparring, etc.) and competent instruction on all the ranges that you want to improve in. As long as you're getting both, you should be fine.

20. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_1ZoqBtxKr0[/ame]

By the way, this is combat SAMBO. It's just a competition format with strikes and chokes. Some people advertise combat SAMBO as some kind of commando killing art the spetsnaz use. I'm sure it's common among them and is very well blooded in up-close fighting in Eastern Europe but it's really just the sporting format. Sometimes actual genuine sambists awkwardly tack on groin kicks, eye gouges, head stomps etc. The stuff you'd see in competition always seems to be well executed (Throws, trips, jointlocks) but the commando stuff always ends up awkward and over dramatic. I think the military hand to hand is always super dramatic over there, though. At least in demonstrations.

An example. Notice how smooth the takedowns and jointlocks are, and how weird the jumping karate chops to the neck are.
    [ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fBjin8zNUWc[/ame]