White plain gi for hot weather

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by dantounet, Feb 21, 2015.

1. dantounet

dantounet New Member

Hi,

I am looking in buying a new judogi as two are not enough for me to rotate between JJJ and Judo.

I am not doing competition so it does not need to be a criteria however I'd like something plain white (without logo or logos easy to remove).

Also, I currently have a Mizuno Shiai double weave. I like the sturdiness but now that I live in Australia I find it too hot so I was thinking about getting 1.5 weave or gold/pearl weave.

I am eyeing the Mizuno Keiko Pro Judo Gi for example.

Any advice?

2. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Maybe try to find a hemp gi? I've had two over the years and I wish more companies made them. You can have a lighter gi which is just as strong and won't stretch over time. The natural antibacterial properties mean they don't smell funky as quickly which would be good if you're using it quite regularly.

A quick search picked this up: http://gassho-hemp.com/shop/4559455430/hemp-judo-gi-(suit)/3860797

3. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

Unfortunately though for Judo & jiu-Jitsu gi's you won't find a whole of lighter ones!! The fabrics are designed to withstand tear and wear especially for throwing and grappling.

4. Mantis Matt

Mantis Matt Valued Member

This is a bit off topic, yet why do some CMA schools wear the uniforms often associated with Karate instead of the uniforms more common in CMA?

5. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

In part history - in the 70's few had heard of kung fu but most had seen karate in films. So if the punter thinks that white uniform means martial arts then you give them white uniforms.

In part practicality. Kung fu includes both clothing and non clothing grapple techniques. You can go through a lot of T shirts practicing clothing grapples.

Then their is also cost. The high volume of gi sales means that you can get a good product at a good price. because kung fu uniforms very between clubs you often have to get them made specially. This makes them more expensive and often not as robust.