apFit

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by ap Oweyn, Jul 9, 2013.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Sadly, I have absolutely nothing to add to this thread yet. Aside from the following: I'm in imminent danger of having a stroke.

There's a cold shower for ya. Time to get serious about looking after myself. More to follow. (There damn well better be, by the sound of it.)

--End transmission--

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

No more cupcakes for you!

Seriously though, I hope things work out for the better on a consistent basis for you ever time you go to get that checked on. My grandfather (92) is recovering from a minor stroke he had two years ago and a few family members of mine have passed due to strokes. Not a fun thing. If the danger can be alleviated through health/fitness then get to it! We'll have to schedule all the MAPers in the DC area to go run with you on every other day, and to fend off the cupcake vendors.

3. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Welcome to the training logs, ap! Best of health to you.

4. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Sorry to hear about this. :eek: I hope that it is something you caught in time.

5. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Stuart, I was in the same boat. Changed my lifestyle, slowly but surely so that I would adhere to the changes and make them stick, for good.

I try to follow simple rules to make it stick, too.

1) White is bad (white bread, white rice, white sugar, white alcohol, etc, etc.)

2) sugar (unless fructose or honey, is bad).

3) water is your friend. be thirsty for it all the time (1.0L upon waking, 750ml 30 mins before meals, 1.0L before bed, minimum).

4) just like in FMA, move to save your life. Run, Bike, Swim. Take the stairs. If it's 1km away, choose top walk it. Bike to work.

5) Eat less but often. I eat 5- 6 times a day, every 3h30mins more or less. roughly fist sized servings or carb and protein.

6) juice and smoothie raw veg with fruits.

7) banana is your friend

8) if it says HFCS on the tag, stay away.

9) dark chocolate is good.

10) coffee without anything is good.

11) wine and beer (for as long as it is taken in one serving size, is generally good for you. unless you're taking that p!ss they try to pass off as beer or that vinegar they try to pass off as wine).

12) move every 30 mins or so.

There's my summary of my dirty dozen. Will chat you up soon bud!

Gumagalang,

Martin

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That's a terrific list, Shooto. Thanks my friend.

As some of you may know, I have poly cystic kidneys. And the blood pressure comes with it. I've largely ignored it for reasons both personal and STUPID. But I really can't afford to anymore. So more to follow.

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Good luck with your training! :)

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I'd echo this.

For me at 47 and with a busy desk bound job it's less about training and more about exercise and movement.

I move to keep supple and exercise to keep trim(ish) and healthy, although my diet could be better.

I used to train like a man possesed and at my peak my resting pulse was 47.

Now though life has taken over. 4 kids, a wife, demanding job, bills and so on.

Forget training, it puts thoughts into your head of 3 x 1-2 hour workouts per week.

Exercise though can be done with the family.

Walking is excellent. I've started playing knockabout tennis with the family and I jog/walk occasionally.

The joy of this approach is that I'll (hopefully) still be fit and moving well into my later years.

Good luck to you AP.

9. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I'm really sorry to hear that Stuart. I hope that things go well for you.

10. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

The key is to keep moving. Continual low level exercise is good. Walking is very good for you. Ditch the car and walk whenever possible. Also do you have access to a garden? Again gardening very good for you. Note remember to stretch before gardening. Ive seen way more injuries due to over zealous gardening than i have through marital arts.

Transcendental meditation is good for reducing stress (and lowering blood pressure). Chi gung also good for lowering the blood pressure.

11. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I couldn't agree more. You have to forget "training" and do something you enjoy that will benefit you (or maybe that is training for some). Hope that makes sense.

Time to buy a dog me thinks! Couple o'walks a day will do you good.

Good luck!!

12. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Great advice from everyone so far.

One thing I can add from my own experience is that when I dramatically changed my diet (from: mainly salty meats/fried potato based protein/carb input and refined sugar snacks/cheap chocolate bars, to: primarily veg, pasta/noodles, boiled potatoes (the occasional red/white meat) and fruit for snacks (it's a lot less boring than it sounds!)) I found the most success from doing it gradually.

It becomes less of a shock, as you can "parachute" down to Earth from eating the stuff you love but is bad for you in excess.

You probably know this already, but with both the diet and movement (exercise/training, whatever movement you can get in), don't let one or two lapses provide justification for you giving up. Changing your habits is never done overnight, and "two steps forward, one step back" is still progress!

Best of luck and keep us updated.

Harry

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Excellent advice everyone. Thanks!

Okay, so after work yesterday, I jumped rope in front of the house while the kids rode their scooters in the street. Then the family and I went for a walk after dinner. Small things obviously, but good for building some sense of momentum.

One of my problems (which people have already hit on here) is that I get it in my head that I have to have a complete training plan, etc. And when I can't do that, I just stop. So I'm going to take the sage advice presented here and just make the priority to move rather than worrying about logging everything, etc.

That said, I will try and keep track of a few things.

So far today, breakfast was a banana (thanks Martin), a yogurt, and water.

I also remembered to take my meds. So three cheers for baby steps. Sleep is obviously all whacked out because of the new baby. And stress levels are high owing to his fussiness right now. This too shall pass, as the saying goes.

Later today, I'm planning on going down to the school gym. Not worrying too much about what I'm going to do down there. As said above, that'll just divert my attention to planning instead of doing.

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Like father, like son. I start a plan and then try to make sure that every muscle group is catered for and all the fitness angles are covered and then it gets overly complicated and silly and I don't find the time.

15. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

My brother in law has had very good results with a key fob step counter. You just keep it in your pocket and it counts your steps. He started with a target of 1000 steps a day and is now up to 5000. Having a target to aim at really helped him.

16. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

More baby steps. I went to the college gym and spent a little while (no concrete measurements here, pal!) jumping rope, shadowboxing, and doing carenza (FMA's version of shadowboxing).

All were embarrassing to behold. But the point was to do it anyway. I've concluded, though, that I do need some plan. Just nothing too elaborate.

I dearly wish they'd put the heavy bag back up in the gym. Some bright bulb kicked the last one (despite the sign next to the bag clearly proclaiming you shouldn't) and broke the hook it hangs from. So they ordered a replacement hook. And (wait for it...) someone stole the hook overnight. The hook. *sigh*

Anyway, I need to find some other people to train with. Next objective: Don't eat rubbish for dinner.

Oh, and I've not had any caffeine today. I'm trying to quit that. Bad for the kidneys apparently. And, even without that, it's a roller coaster ride I'd like to get off.

18. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

good luck with your changes. you can do it!!!

19. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Good work and attitude so far, keep it up!

20. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Dogs lower blood pressure. Plus you have to walk them everyday.