What book are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Anth, Apr 16, 2004.

1. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Is that the twins staring off preparing for battle?

I love all the Druss books, with the first two Waylander stories coming in second. The Rigante series is great too, most of the others were ok but nothing special to me.

2. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I'm back to some Star Wars books (interestingly enough not motivated due to coming movie, but because I just was in the mood again).
    "The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic II: Refugee".
    It's the 16th book of the NJO-series out of 19.

I admit that I needed some breaks during the series, but it was less because I didn't enjoy them, but because it's a lot of books and I have so much more laying around ^^

Some of the characters made some nice changes, I didn't expect like that and the Solo kids became more likable (for me) then I expected from the first book.

I don't want to spoil anything though, so I won't go into details.

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Some of the best Star Wars books I've read were the Rogue Squadron series and the Thrawn books.

Some of the newer stuff lost its way and became ungainly but I liked the NJO books.

4. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Couldn't agree more.
    I love the X-Wing series.
    Both the books from Stackpole and Allston; I have a thing for "outsider-characters" so even that is a match for me.

I also really liked the kids series around Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan.
    I hope there will be more books around Qui-Gon; I think he might be my favorite Jedi.

The Thrawn books I read in German, and they are on my loooong list of books I want to read in English as well. Unfortunately I need to buy them first ;)
    That will take a little while though, because I want some other books first, I don't already own on another language.

There not bad at all.

Major spoiler, so people who haven't read at least until book 9, "Star by star" shouldn't read any further.
    I thought I throw a fit though, when they killed off Chewie.
    I thought it fitting how Han lost it afterwards; sure you felt like cursing him, but it was a "real" reaction.

And with Anakins death I wasn't happy either; I kind of liked him most of the three.

5. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Yes, that's the bit. Seriously? The third Waylander book is 5 times the story the second one is.

6. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

I was never a fan of the joinings in Gemmells books, so that dropped it down for me.

7. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

One book further in the "The New Jedi Order"-series.
    "Force Heretic 3: Reunion".

I come to really love the idea and the potential things that might come out of it about what happens to Tahiri with the Riina personality.
    So far she's still in her coma fighting the "other girl" but the dialogue and everything that gets hinted... I hope they take some of the roads that offers and don't just kill one off.

The thought of the living planet is a nice one too.
    Going for the cover work of the book I wonder if Sekot get annoyed a bit by the Jedi lol
    But I also learned that covers might not have the slightest to do with the stories told inside the books.

8. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Does that include the Skilgannon books? Because Druss in "The White Wolf" is probably my favorite Druss.

9. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

How to Understand the Mind by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, just started it after reading his Introduction to Buddhism book. Scratching my head at most of it at the moment, but enjoying the challenge of reading up on a topic I have little to no knowledge on!

10. Dean Winchester

11. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

The Skull Throne by Peter V Brett, enjoying it because I enjoy the overall story of the Demon Cycle, annoyed because his writing is poor. He also tends to use way too many of his own words it's a little hard following the story or understanding significance when I haven't read the last books since they came out when words like "shar dama ka" "push ting" "kai, dal sharum" are used. "You are just Sharum, Jardir wears the white now, there hasn't been an Andrah since the deliverer". I can't specifically remember the political system or the castes to follow all these words. Should be some sort of glossary to keep up.

12. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Just finished Elantris by Brandon Sanderson, was pretty good and certainly shows the genesis of his style. Now re-reading Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.
    Also reading Kevin Smith's Green Arrow: Quiver which I'm really enjoying.

13. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Currently working my way through the comic book "Lucifer" on the DC Vertigo imprint, as the name suggests it's all about the fallen angel Lucifer.

I'm also about to start on "The Witches: Salem, 1692" by Stacy Schiff, a history book about, well the Salem witch trials. It's supposed to be the most comprehensive account of what happened. I can't wait to get started.

14. CrowZer0

Shadows of Self by Brandon Sanderson, I missed Wax and Wayne!

15. Dean Winchester

I won't spoil it other than to say it's bloody awesome.

Now where's my hat gone?

16. CrowZer0

Wayne and his hats! I'm only about four chapters in, I would be reading now but I have a weird thing where I really enjoying reading after dark. I don't know why.

17. Dean Winchester

Wayne is fantastic, he gets some nice moments in this one.

I put off reading this series because the books aren't as long as Mistborne but that doesn't matter at all. He's set the world up brilliantly and the pacing for these ones is spot on.

Wasing the wanting of doing the thing and I'm glad I did now. :D

18. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Finished 'Lucifer', it's such a good read, and, feeling in the mood for more DC Veritgo, I'm noe re-reading 'Hellblazer'. Fantastic.

19. Dean Winchester

Bands of Mourning by Brandon Sanderson.

Hurry up Crow this one looks like it'll blow the world open.

Set about six months after the end of Shadows of Self we find a rather raw Wax who is dealing with the fallout from the events of the previous book.

Sanderson is really pushing his magic system now, finding new ways to use staple abilities and potentially introducing new aspects.

20. CrowZer0

I just haven't had too much time to read recently, I started around 2am last night I'm about 70% through! I'll try and read earlier tonight.