Boxing or Kickboxing

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by EdiSco, Nov 22, 2015.

1. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Hello everyone :)

Complete noob to Martial Arts though have had to fight a few times :mad:

Want to take up Boxing - I LOVE the simplicity of it (been watching youtube):

Jab
    Cross
    Hook
    Uppercut
    Guard and footwork

But, in theory, wouldn't kickboxing be better in actual streetfights as you could also use kicks that have longer reach? I wanted to do boxing then thought of additional advantages of kickboxing and now I'm thinking Muay Thai also has knees and elbows and clinch! :confused:

I know Judo is also awesome but not sure I would enjoy it (no harm in trying though!).

Anybody does all three? I'm mainly looking for self defense and I also lift.

Thanks

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

Why now try each class and see what suits you?

Sometimes it's more about training in the right environment with the right people.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Taekwondo will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Small arms, can't reach. :cry:

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

But some magic tricks with feet

6. EdiSco

:) loved Predator!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3rfAjpHOyI"]Predator - Sexual Tyrannosaurus Scene - YouTube[/ame]

7. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

If you train in Kickboxing make sure you join a full contact club.

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

9. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Welcome to MAP. :)

Firstly, don't partake in street fights, its never a good idea. Sparring should always be done in a controlled envioment. For self defense, you're better off learning how to avoid situations and running away if you do find yourself in a pyshical conflict. Although lifting is great for your physical health and will help when it comes to training, its not a substitute for good technique.

Give all three a go, and stick with one for a while before cross training with any of the other two. All three are equally good martial arts, its matter of finding a good club and coach.

10. EdiSco

I can't seem to find a full contact kickboxing club where I live in UK. Could I pm you? They're either light contact or semi contact and a Krav Maga place don't spar however they are more "reality based" so it's mainly pad works/drills and fitness according to their website.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  11. EdiSco

This may be a stupid question but is the clinch in muay thai anything like Judo? I mean, if all I did was Muay Thai, would it cover a little Judo-like techniques as well ie grappling?

12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Thai covers some grappling, but not the full range like judo does.

But that said, anyone good at the Thai clinch, will be a handful in the standing clinch.

13. EdiSco

Interesting....so it's either Judo + Boxing or Muay Thai. Here's my dilemma: I really wana do boxing...I just REALLY like it (from watching youtube videos - love the simplicity!) but doesn't Judo have like a billion gazillion trillion moves? I want something simple and Judo doesn't sound simple so with Boxing and Judo combo, I don't get kicks/elbows/knees and I also do Judo which is probably too complex for me...If I did Muay Thai, I get everything but no boxing... and with a Muay Thai and boxing combo, I get too much of punching and not enough grappling....HOW DO WE RESOLVE THIS CONUNDRUM MY FELLOW EARTHLINGS? DISCUSS!

14. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

If you want to do boxing... just do boxing.

Do that for a while and then think about what might compliment it.

There's no need to find the perfect mix of martial arts before you start doing any training. Just start training and figure it out as you go along :)

15. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Just do boxing, if you feel the need later on add Muay Thai or Judo, but more importantly just turn up and train, regularly.

16. EdiSco

PMSL - good point! Boxing it is! No need to over analyze...boxing as a base and then dabble in Muay Thai and Judo if I felt like it.....:fight1:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  17. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Depends on the style of Kickboxing really.

18. EdiSco

Very interesting and informative article by Geoff Thompson - if anybody knows reality based streetfighting, it's this guy:

http://www.geoffthompsoninspired.com/questions-to-geoff-thompson/
    I found it interesting that this guy rates Boxing and Judo the highest if you wana learn how to defend yourself. I've been watching youtube videos of Judo and these guys are HARD AS NAILS!!!! being thrown on the mat and throwing someone makes you a real bad ass! Boxing is probably the most underrated martial art in history. People say it has rules and they wear huge gloves and headguards and gum guards but that just proves its lethal credentials? without rules and headguards and gloves a boxer is lethal as a solid hook or a cross after setting up with a jab is enough to floor someone in the street (without gloves, it's far more destructive)....that's without resorting to lethal stuff like Rabbit/Kidney punches...these rules keep people alive in the ring...outside of the ring a boxer is even more lethal as he/she doesn't have to follow obey the rules? So doesn't this make boxing even more lethal than the deadly arts as they get to practice their weapons (punches) at full intensity and become experts at just punching/footwork/guard etc.? not to mention the most important aspect: they learn how to take a punch too.

I also found it interesting that bouncers on the weight lifting forums are more concerned with how NOT to seriously hurt someone as even if you're not the instigator and hurt someone very badly, you could go to jail! Not sure why anybody would need more than boxing (and Judo) to defend themselves. I just wana make clear that I'm a noob to martial arts as I've said before so no haters please.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015