An analysis of Holly Holm vs. Ronda Rousey...

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Combat Sports, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Jack Slack is a legend. If he told me the sky was going to be pink with yellow spots the night of a UFC PPV, that's where I'd put my money.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Jack Slack is great. HH vs RR is a good match up next year.

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

She has to get past Rocky first :rolleyes:

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I thought Fallon Fox fought at 145? :p

6. holyheadjch

Unless Rocky shows up in a Monster Truck, I don't see much to get past.

7. Southpaw535

Hence the eyes. I'm annoyed because I like Pennington, but even ignoring that its such a blatant feeder fight its embarrassing.

8. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Last I heard, Roussey's next fight is against Zingano, not Holm. Holm has had how many fights in the UFC?

Let's not jump the gun here.

9. holyheadjch

Like the article says, the road to a title shot in the UFC doesn't have anything to do with the number of fights you've had or who you've beaten.

And let's be honest, Zingano will do well to get out of the first round against Rousey.

10. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

Sad but true. I agree. Zingano is a great fighter but I don't think she has the formula to beat Rousey. Elite striking is going to be what gets her. If Zingano tries to go to the ground with Rousey it will be Arm Bar in the 1st.

11. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I don't follow that closely but if I'm not mistaken (and if the article is to be believed) Holm's striking is considered pretty damn good.

What's her ground game like?

12. holyheadjch

Compared to Rousey's? Non-existent.

13. Southpaw535

Striking will be what beats Rousey in the sense a wonder punch is the best people can hope for at this point. Holm is a very good boxer, but generally speaking of she's in range to try and box up Rousey, then she's in range to be clinched and either there or on the floor she's going to be laughably outclassed.

I thought mma has established a while ago that odds on a striker v grappler match should favour the grappler.

14. holyheadjch

Rousey could be beaten by a world class BJJ fighter. Her stand up is OK and her take downs are good, but she normally just beats people up on the ground. If she fights someone with a better ground game, then she will have to rely on her weaker areas.

15. Southpaw535

But with none of those in the mix at the moment we're left with wonder punchers.

16. holyheadjch

Yeah, and Rousey has a chin on her too. It's just not fair.

17. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

RR 's confidence and talent is crazy high at the moment. I want to say that it'll take that special someone to take her into the later rounds and see how she does under such pressure.
    But at the moment I can't see anyone who can do that.
    Like Southy says, it'll take a wonder punch. Holly Holm might be the one who would be able to deliver it though.

I believe her striking is way better than Rousey's despite RR also pretty much KOing girls as shes going along.

It'll be a great fight to watch, if they both get past their current opponents.

18. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Boo Rousey

19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

WAR ROUSEY!!!

20. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I thought holm always trained kickboxing and mma but competed In Boxing, so it might not be so clear cut.