Lau Gar in Edinburgh

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Pretty In Pink, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I have a friend who is training here. Watching WKA point fighting is pretty boring but whatever floats your boat. Just wondered if anybody knows about this school and if it's legit :)

http://www.edinburghlaugar.com

2. butcher wing

butcher wing Oi, Fatso!

Lau Gar is a mish mash of various stuff tbh and they do heavily emphasize points fighting for sparring at most clubs.
    If i was in Edinburgh i'd be looking at here for kung fu:

http://www.yhge.co.uk/

just my 2p ;)

3. Pretty In Pink

Well that looks over priced! :)

4. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I thought the prices were ok, until I saw that the lessons were only an hour. I don't think an hour is long enough for a class.

They look all super serious in the main photo too. The woman in the back row on the far right is the only person who doesn't look like they've got a stick up their bum. I find that weird, but I guess it must appeal to some people.

5. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

£6.50 an hour is hardly terrible, and compared to most other activities is cheap.
    Timewise it depends I suppose. I'm actually going over to shorter classes but I have flat fee pricing and the idea is you will attend more than one per night.

6. Ben Gash CLF

Anyway, the Yees guys have good Kung Fu and fight full contact.
    I don't know about the Lau place, maybe Icefield will.

7. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Some people enjoy that type of thing ;)

8. Pretty In Pink

I was reading about learning in blocks. £120 for ten sessions. BJJ is actually much cheaper :p

@David, my classes are an hour long and I'm doing alright :p

9. pecks

pecks Valued Member

What do you mean by legit?
    Lau Gar does apparently have a bit of a murky lineage, if that's the kind of thing that keeps you awake at night (I suspect it isn't..)
    If they are anything like my club, they will be heavily into sparring, mostly points but not exclusively. They will be good for fitness too. And the (few) Lau Gar Guardians that I have met have been of a very high standard.

10. Ben Gash CLF

???? blocks of 10 are £65 :confused:

11. David Harrison

...but only half as good as you would be if your classes were two hours! :D

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think it depends on what you pack into an hour as to whether that's long enough or not. :)
    Personally I think an hour and a half hits the sweet-spot in terms of value and usefulness but an hour can be fine.
    There are some places where I live that do 45 minute classes. :(

Although why anyone living in Edinburgh would choose to ignore Rick Young's club and train somewhere else is beyond me.

13. butcher wing

butcher wing Oi, Fatso!

Cahdderz trains at Rick's IIRC. It's his mate who is going to the LG club.

The Yee branch of Hung Ga has a very good rep and the prices look pretty cheap tbh.

14. Pretty In Pink

I train two hours everyday, clearly it's not enough.....

15. icefield

icefield Valued Member

if the guys happy why worry about it? training in a made up style that makes you happy is better than training in a great lineage that you have to drag yourself along to lol

Having said that the guy teaching is legit inside lau gar circles by the looks of it, being a guardian means he has spent a lot of time and effort on the art, and also means he will spend a fair bit of time with Yau and John Russell so should know both the points sparring side and the traditional side
    A lot of the Scottish clubs broke away years ago so their is two different lau gars in scotland, this seems to be a club associated officially with Master Yau run by a respected teacher

16. David Harrison

Consecutively?

I think, especially for beginners, that you need longer than an hour for the brain to shut off and let the body learn in a visceral way. My classes are 90-120mins and I almost always see the greatest progression in the last 30mins.

Once you've been training for a few years then you can drop into the zone and still get a lot out of shorter training times. I guess that kids would reach a point of diminishing returns much quicker too, so 45-60mins would make sense for little 'uns.

Still, horses for courses and all that :)

17. Pretty In Pink

Yeah, but in two martial arts :p

Tbh, and hour and a half is the general consensus on training.

18. David Harrison

Different martial arts pifferent smartial farts...

It's all fighting.

...unless you're doing one of those weird ones that aren't really fighting at all.

19. Pretty In Pink

Like Lau Gar or Ninjutsu? :p

20. butcher wing

butcher wing Oi, Fatso!

LOL