Youtube playback problem.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Kframe, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Hey guys. My tv problem went away after I unplugged it and then got a universal remote. Thanks for the help on that.

Im having a strange problem with youtube. The progress bar at the bottom of of the screen that shows you how much you have watched(the red bar) and how much is loaded(the grey bar) keeps going backwards.

Lets say im watching a documentary on the Sumarians, and while watching it, the red bar is progressing and the grey bar is moving forward as well. The video will suddenly stop as the grey bar will loose all of its progress and resume its buffering at the point at which the video stopped. Then when it begins again, the video will play like normal, the grey bar will keep going forward but then shortly later, it will do it again. This goes on and on and on.

I hope I described it good. If you need clarification ill try my best.

Thanks guys!

2. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

What's your OS and browser? Also, have you updated Flash recently?

3. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Lastest version of IE and Windows 8. I checked and adobe says flash is fully updated.

4. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Use Chrome. Google's stuff increasingly only works properly with Chrome.

5. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Using Firefox resolved all of the increasing problems I was having, as well.

6. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Is there a particular reason you're using IE? I don't know much about it anymore. I hate using it.

7. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Its the browser that came with this crappy laptop. Ill consider switching to chrome. What are the advantages of chrome or firefox? Are they secure like IE?

8. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

I haven't heard anyone say that IE was 'secure' for a long time (and I work in Network Security). I really can't bash IE 11 as much, since a lot of under the hood changes and improvements were made. Personally, I've been using Firefox for a very long time (since ~2004). A couple of nice addons make Firefox very secure (install Ad Block Plus, and NoScript if you're super-paraniod, but I recommend against it). Chrome, with it's background updates, is also quite secure. Once again, a rich library of addons to choose from (Ad block, once again, is a must).

Chrome and Firefox both support sync features, which let you keep your settings the same across any device you have FF or Chrome installed on (saved passwords, bookmarks, etc). I personally love this feature.

9. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

IE is not really a secure browser. Microsoft have admittedly gotten better in recent years but almost anything you use will be more secure than IE.

I used Opera before switching to Chrome. The nice thing I find about Chrome is its everywhere. I've got it on my Windows, Mac and Linux machines, my phone, and my iPad and Android tablets. You can almost be 100% certain youtube will work better in Chrome on Windows.

Extensions are also the mutts nuts, but Firefox also has these.

I also run the Adblock extension, everywhere except here obviously :angel:

If you want to keep using IE though, I would try clearing out your browser cache, then restarting your browser. Since it's IE and I literally haven't used it for anything other than downloading Chrome in years, I can't tell you how, but a quick google should help.

10. belltoller

Someone make a sticky of this, please.

11. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

"The mutts nuts". Need to remember that for my next appraisal at work :evil:

So there you have it Kframe. Fix your problem by using anything other than IE. Which actually solves a great many interweb issues. It's like killing a whole species of birds with one stone. :)

12. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

It's not down to the browser you are using, it is youtube using DASH (Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP) which buffers a video in small segments. Just get the browser extension Youtube Center.

See this link for more info.
    http://www.cnet.com/au/how-to/return-to-youtubes-old-way-of-buffering-full-videos/

13. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Cool thanks for the advice guys.

Hey Boards, does that explain why it would buffer a bit, then suddenly go backwards and pause the video?

14. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

yep

15. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

So after just ignoring the issue with youtube only buffering for a bit, then going backwards and loosing all progress. I Decided to download firefox. I just did it. Now I cant even get youtube to load..

The screen is just a white background with some primitive looking links in the background. I tried to play a video and it does not work.

Several other sites come up with this weird white blanky look. According to firefox and adobe im up to date. So what is going on? I went to firefox so I could get youtube center and get rid of that annoying dash. Now its even worse then before..

16. belltoller

Kframe, go to https://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER and download CCleaner. Run the application, including and especially the registry fix utility and see what happens.

17. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I cant get that to work. When I down load it, it wont advance past the windows security scan after download. Must be heavy traffic tonight screwing up my internet.

I honestly feel like I wasted a lot of time with firefox.. Half of there own webpages wont load correctly, yet im all up to date. I hate this dang youtube nonsense, but atleast I can watch videos and get the webpages to load with IE.

Thanks for the help guys, ill keep trying. Wish I was more computer savoy.

18. belltoller

Man, I'm sorry about that. I was having Youtube playback issues till I got rid of IE and began using Firefox - you need something to clean out your cache of all the hidden junk and I'm a mind that you've registry errors which are complicating things further.

All that crap will slow down your PC as well.

I assume you've an updated virus scan. Are you able to access your firewall?

If not, that's a red-flag.

19. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Ya my virus scanner is running as we speak. Updates automatically.. Im using Kaspersky..

Im not sure how registry stuff will affect a page loading?

What I don't understand, for as good a review as I keep finding for firefox its not as plug and play as IE. PCmag gave it top reviews yet, hear I am 3 hours later and I have yet to get a functioning firefox following Mozillas own instructions.

Heck if I go to the main Mozilla webpage, ill get the same problem as youtube.

20. belltoller

Who?
    Which leads me to believe that your PC has deeper issues than browser compatibility.

How old is your PC? If the virus scan turns out - look, even if it does show "clean" I hope you know that doesn't mean you've not recombinant malware - but if it does pass, run the scan-disk utility on your drive and then check to see if it needs a de-frag.

That won't solve your problem, mind you, but it might make getting to the root of the problem easier. Maybe then you can download CCleaner or another similar type of programme.

Try going to Windows Defender and see what happens. Have you checked your ISP for outtages or other issues?

If you can manage to get Saz back on, maybe she can offer better help -