Another Rousey camp/teammate post UFC thread

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Combat Sports, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

She is respectful, game, tall and well conditioned...those are huge attributes in an MMA match, especially the conditioning aspect, which has been her biggest strength in her matches. Her wrestling is also very good

Striking wise I think she is bloody awful and throws looping sloppy shots with no power and she also eats every bit as many shots as anyone else you are deriding for having "poor defense"

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

OK, just watched the fight now and this whole discussion is ridiculous. The conclusion of the fight had nothing whatsoever to do with her technical striking defence and everything to do with the fact that she was so badly rocked by that elbow in the clinch. The fight was effectively over as soon as it landed and there's nothing meaningful to be discerned from what came after.

3. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

So you are saying it doesn't matter, since she got hit while strikes standing up (the relevant part of the conversation) which lead to her getting hit by even more strikes standing up. She didn't look dizzy to me, she looked overwhelmed.

Nevermind the body-head-head combo she got hit by before that as if she were standing still. Or the punches she took in the first round?

4. Ben Gash CLF

Clinch and standup striking are regarded by most people to be different things. Did Vitor have terrible standup and bad boxing coaches because Couture beat the snot out of him off a collar tie?
    Newsflash, fighters take shots. Unless you're an elite level striker fighting a pure grappler you're going to get caught. No-one is perfect all the time. GSP got knocked out by Serra.
    She didn't look dizzy? She immediately went from being competitive to being flat on her feet and barely able to keep her hands up after eating an elbow that made me wince.

5. Combat Sports

So again I have to bring up that we are talking about a pattern. Did they all just "get caught"? Sure people get caught sometimes. "News Flash" Girls in this camp are getting caught all the time. And some of them are literally losing striking defense the longer they stay there.

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Or there just fighting better opponents. ........ just like what happened with rosi sexton.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  7. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Ja, I think it a stretch to suppose some sort of 'Curse of the Rousey Striker's Camp' without taking a statistical sampling of all the other women's camps to see if the same thing isn't occurring elsewhere.

It could be a matter of expectations of Rousey on our parts.

8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Yep I think Hannibals point about the old guard being pased by is on the money, and as much as I like Rosi she is a classic example of this, the new breed of fighters is simply on another level both striking and grappling wise

As for this fight it was really all over once the elobws started landing, up until then it had been a case of a better grappler fighting a better striker but doing ok on her feet, she wasnt rocked or hit hard in the first round but after those elbows in the clinch she was like a boxing bag on the cage wall, she even volunarily backed up to the cage when she managed to break free at one stage, she really was out on her feet

9. Ben Gash CLF

You're making a classic mistake of statistical analysis. There isn't a pattern there's a cluster. Whether that cluster is significant there's not enough data to say. Also what really is the cluster? A fighter well known for her iffy standup gets knocked out. A fighter gets knocked out by a sweet punch in only her second pro fight. A fighter who's only won 3 fights gets out pointed on the feet by a more experienced Thai boxer. None of these things are especially unexpected in and of themselves.

10. Combat Sports

I don't agree, but I guess time will tell.

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I am by no means a fan of Rousey or her stablemates, but to blame the recent losses of Duke, Shafir, and Baszler on poor striking coaching is a bit far-fetched. It's incorrectly linking correlation with causality. Sure, I said in the past that Rousey eats up punches on the way in to the clinch. But no more so than any other fighter, male or female, in any other weight class, in MMA or boxing.