changes to hadaka jime (rear naked) in the kodakan?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by TKDDragon, Aug 22, 2014.

1. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

Recently we had a guest instructor of rather high rank "correct" how we apply hadaka jime from an arterial blood choke with an angular application to a wind pipe crush with a straight back application. The reasoning wasn't effectiveness but conforming to the kodakan standard. We've always done it the "traditional" way as an arterial choke, and so has every school I've visited. In fact this does bring light to a discussion I had with a 5th dan about the issues with the shallow entry some schools were doing. Has anyone else encountered this variation and is this change the kodakan standard now?

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Do you have videos of the chokes?

3. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Official kodokan videos show both versions (plus bonus low-percentage gogoplata variant):
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JQhHvwuM2o"]Judo - Hadaka Jime - YouTube[/ame]

4. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

I haven't found an image of the competitive application as a wind pipe crush. Everything seems to be the deeper more arterial version. I'll keep looking but one key difference is elbow positioning on the choking arm. In this case the elbow is parallel with the shoulders which seems to provide a significant opening at the elbow.

5. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

Thanks. 1 is closer to the wind pipe crush. We have always done a much deeper one that is a cross between 2 and 3. Elbow pointed more downward grip closer to the ear with a scooping action as you apply the choke and in kata we would pull the grip more toward the right shoulder if that makes sense.

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I use both all the time, when you can't get the elbow all the way through because of uke's chin dropping / shoulders shrugging I use the short choke, if not iI go for the deeper full RNC.

And if I cant link hands I'll get a lapel and start going for one handed (British strangle/ bow and arrow) choke.