real punching routine

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ade1971, Apr 27, 2014.

1. ade1971

ade1971 Valued Member

hello just bought myself a new punch bag so
    my routine is
    50 jab
    50 cross
    50 hooks
    50 uppercuts
    all done each side
    then I do 30 palm heel strikes
    various elbow strikes 30 each side
    I do this 4 time a week I was wondering if this a good routine to follow as I am trying to increase my punches and strike as i do ju jitsu and we don't spend much time on power punching any suggestion thank you

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

The punch bag is an excellent tool, but it can actually slow you down.

It's all to easy to load up on the bag, keep your feet static and forget to use the bag as an opponent.

Rather than count the amount of punches I would have you do timed rounds.

When I teach private lessons I have the student stand just a few inches out of distance from the bag.

Round 1

Step/shuffle forward and jab. Then move back (only just) out of distance (punching range),

Round 2

Same distance, but this time you can throw the rear cross as well as the jab.

Round 3

You can now throw the hook and uppercuts/body shots.

Round 4

You must now throw a minimum of 4 punches, so double jab, rear cross, lead hook for example.

Round 5

You can now throw the elbows, as well as your other punches

Round 6

Now include your palm strikes, knees and kicks.

Each time you should check your distance, keep soft knees (don't stand straight legged), keep the head movement and don't stand directly in front of the bag (use angles).

Another thing I do is to place a bit of tape on the floor 6 inches away from the bag. You must stand at all times (out of range) behind this tape. This forces you to step just a few inches into range before you punch.

Once you have that down put another bit of tape 8-10 inches behind the first. You now have to do two steps t reach the bag.

Finally have a third bit of tape behind the second. It now takes three small steps to reach the bag and three steps to get back into position.

This is important because if an opponent double jabs and you only step back once, you end up leaning back, rather than stepping again out of range.

Here is an example.

Hope this helps a bit.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt_OF4gEmJ4"]TVP July/August - Technique 5 - Technique of sliding in to punch and out to evade counterpunches - YouTube[/ame]

3. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

You should start on technique rather than power IMO. Treat the bag as a opponent rather than a static entity start adding power when you have the technique down.

Hit and move, slip and punch,...you get the idea.

Jab, Jab, cross, slip, left hook to body ect.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

This guy's you tube channel is well worth subscribing to. he has some great stuff and this particular video if for those of us who don't fight in the ring, but want to use the bag for a workout and to improve our punching/movement.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMQZLqA0zBQ"]Beginner Heavy Bag Workout Concepts - YouTube[/ame]

5. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I would suggest to train combo instead. Combos such as:

- jab, cross,
    - jab, hook,
    - jab, uppercut,
    - jab, cross, hook, hook,
    - jab, cross, hook, uppercut,
    - jab, hook, uppercut,
    - jab, hook, back fist, uppercut,

It will be "less boring" than to throw 50 jabs. if you repeat "jab, cross, hook, uppercut" combo 50 times, you are throw 200 punches in total (50 jabs, 50 crosses, 50 hooks, 50 uppercuts). Also it makes you to think about "combo set up" instead of just "solo" punch. A punch can be just a punch. A punch can also be used to set up your next punch. When you think about to use one punch to set up your next punch, your training has just moved into "combo". You are no longer in "solo" training any more.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  6. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

A double hook for a beginner seems a little bit to much, that leaves you open for that half a second longer that you can be countered. Me personally (not an expert), a double hook is good to have in your punch arsenal, but only used sparingly when the opponent isn't expecting it. That's just me though.

7. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The right hook can turn into a right back fist or reverse right arm head lock. IMO, the double 45 degree downward hooks (or haymaker) may be the best defense to be used to against jab and cross.

8. RaKzaroK

RaKzaroK Valued Member

Woah, I like how I got attacked to death asking about the same thing.
    Seems legit!

9. Saved_in_Blood

Yes, a hook can be used, but simply slipping the jab, stepping in, dropping the shoulder, and throwing a driving straight right is a better counter, and a fight ender if done correctly. A hook is a longer punch, you have to try to go around a fighters guard and there are all kinds of counters to a wide hook... this is of course depending on the level of skill of the opponent as well, so I'm not saying that you're wrong, just my take on it.

10. Fujimoru

Fujimoru Valued Member

I'm surprised a lot of people count their drills. I just go by feels. Don't have a heavy bag any more but I don't think I need it. I feel like I can get as much power as i need just throwing punches by feel.

11. Saved_in_Blood

you don't "need" a bag IMO, but it helps me with my kicking technique, which is getting better, but my instructor doesn't say it's perfect then to me... it's still poor.

12. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Hey, good routine, nice and basic I love it, don't stop it just evolve it, that's what its all about in this life. Ok heres some little advice from ole body shot, and I see your getting some similar comments as well. SHADOW BOX, mix some foot work in there with those punches, heres what ya need, step, shuffle lunge, pivot. That stuff is easy don't frown like you don't know how to do it, its simple ok. go for timed rounds to build cardio and muscular endurance. your doing well, but also try back fist, hammer fist, and spear hand strikeing, clawing motions are good too.

13. bodyshot

Hey this is far from bad advice my friend. I would like to add a little of my own two cents here though. You can train single technique, and you can train combo technique both are effective and essential to your progress. I spend ten minutes on single technique each class and ten minutes on combo technique, one builds form the other builds endurance and form right. Combine the two, also try sometimes weights while punching solo form, turn it into strength training, throw combos slower and turn it into form only training.
    My point are both are very usefull for both strength and form concepts.

14. bodyshot

Alright last comment on this thread lols cause I feel like a kid in the store with this thread the reason why is because Its essential basic stuff free of all the usual M.A. jargon. Ok any way WHY NOT, why not throw the double hook, newbie can do it, its not rocket sience, drunk frat boys do it all the time effectively, just kidding. Yes double up on the jab double up on the hook and jab off the hook if he dodges or not, hook, jab then cross, its all good.
    If it dosent hurt to do it and it keeps you interested and comeing back ok throw it. BUT... heres the big but, don't get sloppy baby, keep your form, throw them right.

15. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Do you have a boxing/striking coach or input? I ask because the routine has been critiques well by everyone here already, but the important thing is that the reps need to be correct - 50 of each punch done incorrectly will give you practice at being wrong. Striking work independently needs to be tempered by instruction in the correct technique.

Ask your instructor for more striking instruction or else look to supplement elsewhere (boxing gym always a good cheap option)

16. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

At my gym we train a combo to DEATH! Then we do another. TO DEATH. ETC. All while doing the previous ones to.... you guessed it...to death. then we learn a new one til death do us part.

17. bodyshot

Nothing bad about combination training my friend. In fact if you train like that youll fight like that, I always look at it as helping to train the fight or flight response you know how some people freeze well if you train to agressively throw multiple strikes you dont freeze as bad, your bodies natural instinct is to fight back I mean really fight back not just duck and cover.

18. neems

neems Valued Member

I prefer to do my harder/more complex strikes first while I'm fresh,say 3 rounds.

Then just box the bag working at all the different ranges,maybe another 3 rounds.

Then combo drills for 1 or 2 rounds,1,2 left hook,change the angle,right roundhouse for example.

Then when I'm tired and technique could be suffering I do intervals,just 1,2 with as much intensity as I can.