Police Martial Arts & Self Defence

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by WhiteRhino, Sep 3, 2014.

1. WhiteRhino

WhiteRhino New Member

Hello there,

I was just wondering what martial arts or self defence styles are best suited to policing environments. Are there any Officers on MAP that can advise on the best suited and most appropriate styles of martial arts or self defence that may be geared towards policing situations.

I myself am a PCSO, with my only form of "OST/DT" training being one day in the gym some six years ago, and half a day around four years ago, with no offer of refresher training.

I did attend a couple of Atemi Jutsu sessions but a new shift rota stopped me training and re-attending.

Thanks folks,

WR

2. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Keep an eye out for Hannibal, he should give you some good advice as well as Alansmurf if im not mistaken.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

This is how Chinese police train. I also have Taiwan police training clip if you are interested.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7-bW3VqB2U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7-bW3VqB2U[/ame]

As a police officer, you want to put your opponent on the ground, control him, and then put handcuff on him.

[​IMG]

4. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Don't expect the 'keys to the kingdom' in either case without a certain amount of demonstrated maturity and felicitousness on the seeker's part.

5. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

Koyo was a police office IIRC - he was our Aikido wisdom for quite a while here on MAP (God rest his soul).

Our head instructor in this area (Shorin Ryu) used to be the defense tactics instructor for the Howard County PD. He made quite the use of his training while on the street prior to teaching at the academy. His wife also used Shorin Ryu while on the force.

6. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

One of the instructors (4th degree black belt went and opened his own school) of our sister schools (Kajukenbo Chuan-Fa Gaylord's Method) was SWAT and a Marine, he used Kaju quite a lot to subdue suspects.

Here is Kajukenbo (Original Method) being taught/used by Military Police.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFR9CWnlHVQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFR9CWnlHVQ[/ame]

7. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

8. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

As a former police officer in Nort Carolina I received a lot of training from retired army and marine drill instructors. As Alansmurf has suggested it is best you visit a few different schools/styles. See what they offer for law enforcement officers (if anything). Make sure to discuss weapon retention. If the instructors look at you like you're an alien when you mention weapon retention I suggest nixing that particular school.

9. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Well, make that 'key to the kingdom' :)

10. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

There are other threads (and one quite recent actually) about SD use in Police.

There are a lot of Police Officers out there who don't do any SD training apart from what they are given in mandatory training. Bit of general gym/fitness, but mostly what they get by in, is being aware.
    As long as everything is justifiable and necessary you should be fine.

Saying that though, what is in your area? I'm pretty sure there's a strong Wrestling culture up in Lancashire.

11. Alansmurf

The thread where I got grumpy ......

grumpier than usual :woo:

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Shake on it?

:p

13. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Resistant training is vital. Take some dude who is a ninja on a static range and have him actually fight someone who is shooting at him live (with simmunitions or airsoft) and it's a totally different game. You get people forgetting how to draw, you see groups widen by miles... I've even heard of people repeatedly trying to cram flashlights into their mag wells simply because they haven't been exposed to the stress and dynamic changes you see in real conflict.

The same applies to empty hand or contact weapons. If you don't regularly apply your techniques against someone who is legitimately resisting or actually fighting you, you will not be competent.

Note that this isn't specific to any particular martial art or even to law enforcement.

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

My choices would be:

1) Wrestling
    2) Judo/BJJ

This is entirely based on role and requirements which are control, restrain and remove. These systems are based on drilling under pressure and are quality controlled via an in-built mechanism. For taking down a perp and cuffing them there are few better. Supplemented with a boxing/kickboxing game and you are full of win from an LEO perspective

Now there are many other arts than will fit the bill too, but they take slightly longer and quality control is patchy.

15. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Virtually no UK martial arts schools will teach you weapons retention as it's a redundant skill in an unarmed society (indeed funnily enough the places most likely to teach weapons retention will be Koryu, but retaining a sword isn't what you mean) and the Op won't be armed anyway.

16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

He'll have an extendable baton and pepper spray.

17. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Most koryu / xkan schools cover weapons retention & in my experience this is easily adapted for UK Police Officers

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Do PCSO's get issued with those?

19. Alansmurf

Nope...

BTP PCSO s get handcuffs.

Smurf

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

That's what I thought...even experienced coppers spray themselves with pepper spray so I can't see a PCSO getting some (no offence to PCSO's).