Another Rousey camp/teammate post UFC thread

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Combat Sports, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

So some time ago I noticed that Jessamyn Duke's striking defense actually degraded when she moved into the Ronda camp and started using Ronda's trainers. This manifested in her losing her last two fights really badly.

Then another member of the "Four Horsewoman" (Shafar) got knocked out cold against an opponent who was by no means top notch.

And now, Shayna Bazler who was a long time pioneer and veteran for women's MMA also gets decimated. And again it looks like people go to Ronda's camp to forget how to defend against punches.

http://www.mma-core.com/news/UFC_17...ut_Shayna_Baszler_In_the_Second_Round/1069699

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  2. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

You might want to put spoiler tags around that last bit, but yeah, I didn't see the fight but I've read terms like 'brutalised' to describe that particular match.

3. Combat Sports

Go watch it, seriously. It's like these girls get their boxing defense rewinded back to novice. My 9 year old girl could hit these girls and she only started boxing a couple of months ago. There is some video of it on Facebook I haven't seen any on youtube.

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

This entire thread is a spoiler to be fair. Title alone gives it awat.

5. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I don't understand this. If these are the same coaches that have helped Rouseys' striking power and movement develop, how are they failing the other fighters?

6. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I could see a couple options.

1. Rousey gets all the attention

2. While Rousey has improved, she's still arguably behind where some of the others are, particularly Bazler for instance. The coaches might be good enough to help Ronda but not the others.

3. Rousey's striking improvements seem to have coincided with the team expansion. Its quite possible the coaches are still bad but she's been learning off the other women.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

And I think Rousey' s improvement is in offensive striking rather than being savvy on defence too.
    Most people think she gets hit too often and the most likely way she'll lose is to fight someone (like Holm) that can take advantage of that with some real stopping power.
    Could be her coaches are good at teaching how to hit but not so good at teaching how not to be hit.
    As I believe Cordeiro was in the past.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  8. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Rousey does hit hard now, but her defence is hardly air-tight. She gets away with it because she's hard as nails and no one has managed to make her fight on the outside for any lengthy period of time.

9. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Bazler?

Bazler had issues before going to Roussey's camp, Did you not see her fight, which was the first in the TUF season she was on?

The fight that happened a couple of days after getting there (way before the coaching staff could influence her)? The fight after she proclaimed she was equal to Roussey, so she didn't need coaching? The fight where she showed she learned NOTHING after getting whupped by Pena?

Bazler has had the sport pass her by. Just as it hits the big leages. I would feel sorry for her if she didn't have such a poor attitude.

10. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I've changed the title for now, I'll change it back in a day or so when its less spoliery.

11. LemonSloth

Probably this.

Lol, that's a hell of an insult!

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Baszler has NEVER had a decent punch defense so why this should be blamed on the Rousey camp is a bit strange.

13. LemonSloth

I thought she was one of the female fighters who was hyped up to have "really good hands" from TUF?

I never saw her lose her fight so I have no idea if it's true or not.

14. Combat Sports

There is a difference between average and horrendous. And when you put that info together with the results the other girls are getting in that camp, it starts to become a pattern.

15. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

so..... another one bites the dust?

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Have you ever seen her fight? Cyborg walked through her and Pena - a girl who technically looked appalling - managed the same. She always had a pop-gun offense too - never KO'd anybody or even looked close to doing so

WMMA used to be pseudo novelty but now is in ascendancy and the level has increased dramatically. The early forerunners just can't get away with not being top level anymore

17. Combat Sports

Yes. I have watched her fight. And now I just watched full fight. Her striking defense went from ok to nearly non-existent. And you keep ignoring the rest of the data. EVERY girl that is coming out of that camp gets hit. Shayna's grappling looked good in the first round but she got popped, and thankfully went to clinch. In the second round Shayna looked like a heavy bag with arms in the up position. It is really a coincidence that three girls out of that camp have terrible striking defense, including one who used to have strong striking? (Jessamyn)? I don't feel that it is.

That fight was sad to watch. Even her catch coach was telling her not to worry about getting hit. You can disagree with me if you like, but I feel something is wrong and I am not alone. The same issue has come up in other forums so it's not like I am hallucinating or something.

18. Combat Sports

You are literally the only person I have ever heard suggest that Juliana Pena was not a good fighter. She proved herself again and again that season.

19. Combat Sports

One point I also forgot to answer.

Cyborg walked through her? CYBORG WALKS THROUGH EVERYONE. What's your point? Name a fighter who has ever fought her and not gotten trampled?

20. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

WAR CYBORG

I have become a fan of her since the Rousey beef. ROUSEY KILLER CYBORG