What is the best?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by DekuTurk, Apr 6, 2014.

1. DekuTurk

DekuTurk Valued Member

I told you i was loaded with questions, and this is one of em. What is the toad-style of martial arts? By that i mean, which martial arts is invincible when it comes to defence, is there a martial art that focuses more on defencing and countering then dealing the first strike? If there are, which one is the best?

Now i know there is no such thing as the best or perfect martial art, and that its the individual practicing, but lately i had a conversation with a wing chun practitioner and he was ''bragging'' about how he would block all my punches, as they learn that. I as a boxer also learn how to block and dodge them, but we learn it in combination with striking. So is there anything like this, a martial art pure focusing on defence? Thank u in advance.

2. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Sprinting.

3. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

When I read the post I was going to say track.

OP, the best form of self defense is actually very simple.

Don't go places where bad things happen.
    Pay attention to your surroundings.
    Avoid places with lots of alcohol and testosterone.
    Trust your instincts. If it doesn't feel right it isn't.
    Walk away whenever you can, don't let your pride or anger get the better of you.
    When out at night clubbing or at a pub always go with friends.
    Don't act like a jerk.

4. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

And don't look like someone people want to fight. There are tons of ways to do it, that tip was the only reason I was able to ovoid several fights in high school when I came out.

5. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

At my school we were organized into two factions and we were always ready to rhombus.

6. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

So basically, don't join the Marine Corps. It does the opposite of every rule in the quote.

7. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

If you are going to take something and you want to be a defensive fighter, there is always boxing, but you will have to look for trainers that specify in defense, but that doesn't solve your problem of if the fight goes to the ground, if you are to get kicked, etc. The one thing you will have to accept about most or all MA's is that you WILL get hit. In sparring, in SD, in a bar fight (where you shouldn't be)... most of the time you will be hit. Minimizing that is something you can work on a lot, but it's still part of the game. I'd get into boxing or kickboxing, Muay Thai, and then get into sparring and just get used to getting hit more... it won't bother you nearly as much.

In short... as the above states, stay out of situations that will get you hit because the answer is NO, there is not MA that will get you super Matrix moves where you don't get hit sometimes.

8. Saved_in_Blood

lol, yeah they seem to look for fights every place they go out to. I've seen a lot of Marines get beat up because of their mentality sadly.

9. Ero-Sennin

Ah yes, these are the unfortunate ones. It's because these individuals fail to realize that as an individual, you are weak. These people tend to go out in groups where they win bar fights and other brawls by superior numbers. Unfortunately they think this means they can fight, so sometime they try to do it alone or in small numbers and end up getting their asses kicked.

This happened in my platoon when we got back from Afghanistan actually. Some of the guys would walk around the barracks talking about how they wanted to get into a fight, gather up guys who wanted the same, go out and kick the crap out of other people. Two guys who went out and did this a few times decided one night, just the two of them, that it would be smart to go out with the same mindset. They picked a fight with a group more in numbers, and came back with busted faces. From my end it was hilarious. :p

On the flip side, I met a Krav Maga instructor who found out I was a Marine. He just had to tell me the story of how he picked a fight with a Marine one night and all of a sudden he had 5 guys kicking the crap out of him and sending him to the ER. I probably shouldn't have laughed . . . . .

10. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

All right, Robin. Let's go at it. a fight to the death, you and me, Mano y mano, just you and me...and my GUARDS!

11. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

For whatever reason I suspect that every single fight the marines get in winds up looking like this:

[​IMG]

12. Ero-Sennin

Yeah, that's basically it. Strength in numbers. A bad lesson for any Marine who forgets it. :p

13. Saved_in_Blood

That's funny... I actually recall when my Wife was still bartending going out to the car and waiting for her and people were still coming out of the bar... so these 2 guys are talking back and forth about 15 or 20 feet apart and they were talking about going out and getting into fights and one guy said something about going over to this other bar and the other guys response was so funny I remember it exactly "well text me and let me know man, I haven't killed anybody in a while so I'm down with that". I sat in my car and just laughed and wrongly had my H&K sitting right under my seat thinking... people just have no idea what might be waiting for them. I have since then matured and don't do that anymore... but I also don't pick fights (aside from the one I did admit to trying to start 6 or 8 months ago on here).

14. DekuTurk

DekuTurk Valued Member

You mention boxing, so do you think Floyd Mayweather has one of the best defence of all martial artists? Because he is pretty good yeah.

15. Saved_in_Blood

Floyd is the absolute epitome of defense... but watch him and you'll see he occasionally still gets hit, but it's quite hard to get him clean.

I wouldn't try to mimic his style though because it was one he was brought up with by his Father, there are other good examples of boxing defense if you want head movement, look at Wilfred Benitez and Pernell Whitaker are 2 great examples... the problem again though is that if you aren't getting hit, you won't learn how to avoid getting hit. Are you afraid to get hit? No shame in admitting that if so, I'm just curious.

16. DekuTurk

DekuTurk Valued Member

No, its funny you ask this. I do get angry when being hit, i can take a lot of hits, as an in-fighter i get hit a lot when trying to come in. I am afraid to get wounds and bruises on my head. It's funny because after 2 years of boxing, its for the first time i have a swollen eye, which happened today. You know, its not attractive, but yeah. But thats not the sole reason tho, because a hurt head means a lot of negative things. Brain damage, plus prejudice. If you get on the streets people will think you got beaten up, while they dont know my opponents face is bleeding like hell. But thanks for your help man, i find you very useful. You are right, everybody gets hit, i was shocked to see floyd with a nosebleed tho.

17. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Does "anti-striking" exist? Here is a simple test.

- Hold both of your hands into a big fist.
    - Hide your head behind it.
    - Extend your arms toward at your opponent's face.
    - Run toward your opponent like a mad man and try to use your big fist to hit on his face.
    - Let your opponent to try to hit your head.
    - You use your big fist along with both of your arms to deflect your opponent's head shots.
    - When your hands are close to your opponent's elbow, shoulder, neck, use arm wrap, over hook, under hook, head lock, ... and prevent your opponent from punching you again.

18. Saved_in_Blood

Yeah, against Cotto the word was that Floyd was fairly sick in that fight, but he's not an excuse maker... that came from someone in his camp that leaked it.

I wouldn't worry about the headaches to much honestly. Concussions is where your brain is taking to many hits and getting injured. I would spend an hour a day at least working solely on defense... look at where your holes are when you shadow box in the mirror and figure out how to close them up. You could also fight a good muay thai or KB instructor and incorporate leg kicks into your boxing knowledge. Even the best of boxers will crumble with a well placed leg kick ;)

19. DragonMMA

DragonMMA Boards don't hit back.

Lol. Oh man. This. So much this.

20. Remi Lessore

Remi Lessore Valued Member

Defensiveness is more about your own mentality. Some posts have already mentioned awareness and the simple art of being elsewhere.
    But if the fight begins, even if you can avoid or block the first attack, it will keep on coming and eventually get you unless you learn to counter-attack fast, simply, efficiently and effectively.
    In Krav Maga we teach to counter immediately (simultaneously, if possible). We have stress drills to accustom you to being attacked so that it is less of a shock to the system when it does happen, multiple assailant drills (you WILL get hit, though safely), games to increase conditioning, awareness and relaxation - a relaxed limb strikes much faster and harder than one that is simply strong.
    But Krav Maga is like any other art, there are good and not so good clubs. I do not know if the FEKM are present in Holland, but we have affiliated with them and they are pretty good. Consider: [ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcOkUjNzo4c"]FEKM - Krav Maga Bercy 2013 - Richard Douieb - YouTube[/ame] and [ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS59i6eh2Ug"]KRAV MAGA : Démonstration KMC92 Rentrée 2012 - YouTube[/ame], for example.