Wow this looks awesome/looking for ju jutsu in melbourne

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by NinjaSkillz, Feb 20, 2014.

1. NinjaSkillz

NinjaSkillz New Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzQBrMlHY90"]Hokutoryu jujutsu demo - YouTube[/ame]

Anyone Japanese ju jutsu in melbourne similar to that of the video?

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

They are trying too hard, IMO.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It looks alright, but there's a lot of pulling punches and kicks that are left up in the air for no reason, and you can't even punch people in the head :'(

4. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Definitely.

At the same time though...looks kinda fun. Like a school boy scrap for adults.

5. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Looks a little like Kyokushin rules mixed with Ju-Jitsu, Looks like fun. Do they compete?

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Looks good to me. Our Shidokan gradings look a lot like that.

7. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

If they train like that all the time I see many injuries in their future.

But if that was just demonstration looks like really good jujitsu!

8. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

If you're going to do JJJ, you should do it somewhere like that.

9. Dean Winchester

Not just me then?

Good to see someone going at it though instead of "hold your arm out while I twist it".

10. Pretty In Pink

Yeah I agree, pulling punches, kicks and knees. I'd like to see this in a competitive format that isn't theirs but they look like they can handle themselves fine.

11. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

It's not JJJ, It's FJJ (Finnish Ju-jitsu ;) ). They have one of the bigger clubs in my town.

They do compete, but I am not sure if it is like an open competition or what. Some of the guys also do BJJ (there's an Alliance club in the same gym here - It's all connected) and have been succesful.

If you are interested, you'll need google translate.

http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hokutoryu_ju-jutsu

12. Dean Winchester

See and there's me being good and trying not to be pedantic. :D

13. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I can't remember the history. The founder (maybe Auvo Niinikedon) was doing some form of JJ and had connections to the UK and Germany. I really know very little about JJ, so can't give you any names of styles. The names Richard Morris and Robert Clark come up in the Finnish wiki and I believe he was taught by them initially. I think he kinda threw it all together and added and subtracted stuff and started Hokutoryu (Wiki says 1992). I believe the name means "Northern star style" or something similar.

This is all stuff that I heard in the changing rooms and what not, double checked with wiki and Stroppy translating, so how accurate it is...I really don't know.

Edit: i think i've taken the thread waaaay off topic. My apaolgiis

14. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Man, too bad it wasn't hokutonokenjutsu, that would be a cool school. I love how the video says CONTROL just after we see a picture of a kid getting knocked out with a kick to the head. Not very responsible for the age and apparent ability of those involved but I digress.

Didn't see much juijutsu, more like a mix of kyokushin, tang so do and a bit of some modern jujutsu thrown in. As exciting as it appears, there are a lot of holes in their performance.

15. Grass hopper

As far as I could tell they demonstrated exceptional ability to strike, throw, and submit. What holes are you referring to?

16. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

A good rounded system from the clip I saw...I would ask to train there if I lived in that part of the world :bang:

17. Pretty In Pink

Well that's what happens when you're fighting a RESISTING opponent. I'd still they looked alright.

18. Grass hopper

That was MY line! I was going to use that as my next response to his retort. :fight1:

19. Pretty In Pink

Haha, next time man :p

20. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Lots of high kicking, lots of grabbing on and failing to use kuzushi(unbalancing), and strategy wise primarily. Some parts look like Tae Kwon Do sparring, others like mixed format rules without punches to the head(another thing I don't subscribe to), so I'm not really sure what I'm seeing. Seems like there are some safety issues but yes the intensity is obviously not lacking in their practice.

Some of it was flashy and over the top(the rolling for example and high amplitude throws-jumping head scissors anyone) and some of their ground fighting seemed to lack positional awareness(more like ground and pound without a good base) and some questionable things that could be exploited by someone with a rudimentary ground game. There were a few questionable finishes after throws that leave the head of the thrower open to strikes and reversals and the weapons work was less than impressive. The kicking of a downed opponent in the throat from near his legs would land you in jail, and it kind of par for the course with the issues I had throughout. Looks cool but...

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014