cool sidemount escape

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Giovanni, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

just saw this on youtube so thought to share.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJh3sxGOnyY"]Carlos Machado - Side Mount Escape | Machado Brothers Camp Preview - YouTube[/ame]

i've been using a variation of this quite successfully, and really i feel like these types of escapes work very well against the ones that love to hold on really tight and put a lot of pressure on in sidemount. but if you know the family of escapes which the video shows, tight pressure just makes it easier to perform the sweep or reversal.

if you play the reversal right, you can also get a knee-on-belly.

cheers.

2. rabid_wombat

rabid_wombat Valued Member

I had the opportunity to attend a seminar taught by Carlos Machado a couple of years ago, was a fantastic experience.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I've seen similar from under kob, never had any success with it though.

4. Giovanni

hey man. so for knee-on-belly, i like the saulo way.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTxqrnNex6M"]Saulo Ribeiro Jiu-Jitsu Revolution 1 - The Cross Body - YouTube[/ame]

you have to be fast about it though, because you're turning your back to the opponent for a sec.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Cool sweep, I'll try tonight!

What's really interesting is he is world class bad-ass BJJ fighter, wearing a gi that doesn't match the pants. Nobody would ever call him on it either.

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

They both kinda rely on the guy with side control being bad at it though. I don't like escapes that assume my opponent is stupid.

7. Giovanni

it's just another tool in your toolbox.

besides, i like how kurt osiander puts it. "if you're here you've already 'messed' up", in more colorful language of course.

guarantee you that same escape that i posted by saulo, if saulo is the one giving you the knee-on-belly, you're (or me) are probably not getting out of it. lol same goes for machado.

8. rabid_wombat

Virtually all escapes, sweeps and reversals are intended to capitalize on either a lack of knowledge or mistakes made under live roll conditions.

If your opponent doesn't make the mistake on their own and you're not able to force them into making it, you get mangled.

9. Dead_pool

There's a difference in escapes that exploit technical errors, and escapes that exploit errors in timing, and base etc.

I spend 20% of my time on the first type, and 80% of my time in the second type.

10. Giovanni

11. holyheadjch

But is there any point in learning to capitalise on specific mistakes that only novices would ever make? In both of the cases Machado presents, there are probably a dozen different ways to take advantage of the poor position of your opponent - you don't need another (lower percentage) way of escaping from that position.

12. Dead_pool

White belts YouTube hits.

13. rabid_wombat

Absolutely, that's how individuals learn and grow. Be exposed to them all, keep what works for you, but be aware of it all.

Percentage of success varies based on skill level and physical capabilities of both people. Escapes from a bad position are, in the broad view, low percentage by their very nature. If you have high success with one, then you are proficient at dangling the right bait for a given technique, someone else may not be able to do the same.

14. holyheadjch

My point is, these techniques are not particularly useful in the situations he describes. If someone puts on a sloppy kesa gatame, I'm not gonna faff about looking for a gable grip - I'd be gone long before that.

15. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It's not sloppy. The opponent is not off base. He frames and then pushes them off base and then capatalizes on THAT.

16. holyheadjch

He doesn't have the arm, he doesn't have the hold.

17. Dead_pool

I think your talking about 2 separate escapes.

Chad is talking about the very first one, the chest to chest SC, (Yoko shiho gatame?) frame head, turn etc

Your talking about the 2nd, the modified ( kazure kesa gatame?) scarf escape, which only works if he's sloppy with where his own nearside elbow is pointing.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  18. holyheadjch

I have issues with the first one too, but I'd need 10 minutes on the mat to check it first.

The second one definitely isn't a thing though. If someone has so little control over the arm, you have several options that don't have as many moving parts - I have found this to my cost on many many occasions. And in reality, no one is going to let you 'lever' the arm like that to begin with - you'd need to be massively stronger than the other guy and again, if you're massively stronger, just reach over the top and pull.

19. Dead_pool

I agree, its giving someone a massive underhook on the far side.

It's really stuff a really experienced lifelong bjj'ers does for fun rolling with less experienced partners.

20. holyheadjch

yeah, like when my coach cradles me like a baby with my feet waving in the air.