Martial Arts Planet  

Go Back   Martial Arts Planet > Articles and Reviews > Chinese Martial Arts Articles
Supporting Members MAP Shop Banned User List Terms of Service

Old 11-Oct-2012, 06:28 AM
Banned

Going to a kwoon and finding a sifu. Learning from them in an environment which progressively builds the level of resistance you face. Failing, and being uprooted, and tossed out every day by someone better than you until you finally make enough improvement that you can sink down and hold your own....

There is no other way.
Old 16-Dec-2012, 09:37 AM
Registered Mapper

I practice tai Chi and you may not relise this not many who practice other styles do but tai Chi pushing hands is ment soley for combat it teaches you how to move intercept nullify and attack. Iron palm training iron body traiNing and much more FA jing is all part of it then there's silk reeling or tai Chi symbol pushing hand which is a single hand that changes based on attack kicks and other stuff. Its also known as baqua circle. Next thing we don't strike the person in push hands for a reason. To most its just a game. but to a real practitioner its allot more. It teaches you how to Manipulate your target safely. So you can get in and strike. Next thing. In tai Chi every move believe it or not is designed for a purpose. there set up to hit exact spots on the body that will either nock out and or kill. hence why the push. If you look at the real meaning of the words its not push. but settle the wrist. Its a strike that's ment to hit the spots on on the chest. Hitting one can make you feel as if you've been kicked in the guts and can't breath two equals ko. Cause it makes both lungs contract. I've experienced it first hand. all push hands is is just a combat tool to how to get in deflect nutrilize and strike. In practice and tournaments people usually push the chest or sides its just ment to uproot. But pushands is a rooting tec as well because you can't effectively emit FA jing without root. Just like in iron palm training. Were you just raise the hand nearly to head level and let it fall. Over time you learn to use the FA jing rooting and a few other practices all combined into one. I'm not saying any one is better but don't look at tai Chi chuan as some game or little thing done for health. although allot see it that way but go to china meet with a real master and find have a match. Most likely it'll Cost you a trip to the hospital. Its a serious art and very very deadly in the right hands with the proper training. I agree that you should put your heart mind and spirit into your forms and the basics in the beginning but when you Become an advanced student you'll be unlearning those forms. To quote Bruce lee you want to unlearn your forms until your left with the basics the formless form), then you'll know gong fu its not the form that's important its the moves what the moves are ment for and how you can use them effectively. you fight in the street you can't ask the people attacking you to come at you in certain ways so you can use your form that would be preposterous. in the beginning tell you've reached the peek forms are there to help you learn but break down the forms. Learn to use each movement in different ways on both sides. I was a blue belt in tae kwon do. I read his book, then I was a brown belt and the next Competition came up and I watched.even among the most advanced students they only used 4 total moves 90% of the time mid block, down block, round house and punch. Every now and then someone would through in a side thrust. But because I had broke everything down each move studied it figured out each way it could be used I learned how to use them effectively and I completely dominated in my ranking class. So yes putting your mind into the form is good it makes you e what it can be used for and set ups and combination strikes. But digg deep into the forms don't just practice the forms for the forms if that makes scene.
Old 16-Dec-2013, 10:16 PM
Registered Mapper

SO other than practicing sticky hands, how do one develop rootedness? SHould weight be distributed 50/50 or 30/70? Does practicing circle walking (Bagua) help? Should the toes be slightly curled under as if to grasp the earth? Basically what are the techniques to develop rootedness?
Old 16-Dec-2013, 10:29 PM
Medway Tai Chi Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretjock View Post
SO other than practicing sticky hands, how do one develop rootedness? SHould weight be distributed 50/50 or 30/70? Does practicing circle walking (Bagua) help? Should the toes be slightly curled under as if to grasp the earth? Basically what are the techniques to develop rootedness?
To develop root, you have to be able to soften the core of the body, and sink down into your structure. Doing this in static standing, solo moving, and partnered moving exercises is the only way to develop root.

You can't be balancing on your pins, you have to sink and relax!

A thousand circles
One more day
This lonely practice
Old 23-Dec-2013, 02:03 PM
Registered Mapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bian View Post
To develop root, you have to be able to soften the core of the body, and sink down into your structure. Doing this in static standing, solo moving, and partnered moving exercises is the only way to develop root.

You can't be balancing on your pins, you have to sink and relax!
Thank you! Yes, my instructor keeps telling me I need to soften and sink. So I am trying to overcome the hardness learned in Karate.
Old 29-Jan-2014, 04:27 PM
Banned

rooting in WC has always been difficult for me, which is why i generally favor the JKD footwork, but strengthening the legs and learning balance was always something i found important to rooting one's stance

in WC i used to practice 'yee chi kim yeung ma' while standing up in a canoe while it is floating in the bayou, or by squeezing a basketball between my knees

of course these things taught me balance, energy manipulation and how to strengthen my kicks, but as far as rooting my stance is concerned, i still have difficulty in that area today, and it would appear that some people just get it quickly, and some dont, i being one of the ones who dont
Old 27-Aug-2014, 12:21 AM
Registered Mapper

thanks fr sharing the article
Old 31-Aug-2014, 09:58 PM
Registered Mapper

Good article!
Old 21-Sep-2014, 11:31 AM
Registered Mapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretjock View Post
... Should the toes be slightly curled under as if to grasp the earth? ...
This is something I was also asking myself... I always hear that I should grab the floor with my feet but if I stand in Mabu, then grabbing the floor will set me off balance because the middle of my foot is pushed up by my toes. Grabbing with the toes will always generate an upwards force and tilt the foot (at least I think it would).

Maybe someone could shed some light on this for me.
Old 26-Oct-2014, 04:18 AM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGF00T View Post
This is something I was also asking myself... I always hear that I should grab the floor with my feet but if I stand in Mabu, then grabbing the floor will set me off balance because the middle of my foot is pushed up by my toes. Grabbing with the toes will always generate an upwards force and tilt the foot (at least I think it would).

Maybe someone could shed some light on this for me.
I will try ~ in the horse stance, which seems easiest to start, do the same "toe gripping" with the whole sole of the foot and don't curl toes, just "set" them.
chi breathing and begin settling your stance further in, like your feet were sunk-set a little in the floor.
Keep chi flowing up and down while settling in ever deeper. This is the Iron stance "no push'em" place which is easier to perceive and develop. The more you utilize your chi in movement, the more your "root" is perceived as moving and fixed, movable and fixable, first linear, then on angle and finally spherical - it will be awhile before spherical. The other's is a whole different matter and perceiving and exercising on your own with joy reveals the others and once it is perceiveable, takeable ~ La

That is a lot of doing in a little saying, but the first part is good for awhile and should be immediately appreciable? You will "feel" you are getting it right.
Flow chi through horse to stand on center of earth. From there, fly.