Sword Ban Petition!

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Anth, Feb 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Anyone who wishes to petition against a ban on the sale & possession of swords should sign up before the closing date in March!

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/swords/?signed=a46cc57.ce2f31

With any luck, they will actually take notice of people like us who need swords for our arts!

Swiped from WMA, cheers for posting that, Louie

2. Dave Hail

Dave Hail Valued Member

As of yesterday (5th March 2007) the Home Office Press office website have released this;

Consultation On Samurai Sword Ban
    5 March 2007

The sale, import and hire of samurai swords could be banned by the end of the year, Home Office Minister Vernon Coaker said today.

The proposal, outlined in a consultation paper issued by the Home Office, will help to take dangerous weapons out of circulation and protect the public.

Banning Offensive Weapons – A Consultation recommends that replica samurai swords should be added to the offensive weapons order, meaning the sale, hire and import would be prohibited. There have been approximately 80 serious crimes involving imitation samurai swords in England and Wales over the last four years.

Those who breach the prohibition would face up to six months in prison and a maximum fine of £5,000. Carrying a samurai sword in a public place already carries a maximum jail sentence of four years.

At present there are 17 weapons, including knuckle-dusters and batons, on the Offensive Weapons Order.

Home Office Minister Vernon Coaker said:

“Public safety is our greatest priority. Samurai sword crime is low in volume but high in profile and I recognise it can have a devastating impact. Banning the sale, import and hire will take more dangerous weapons out of circulation, making our streets safer.

“We recognise it is the cheap, easily available samurai swords which are being used in crime and not the genuine, more expensive samurai swords which are of interest to collectors and martial art enthusiasts. As such as we are putting forward exemptions for these groups.

“Knife crime and sharp instrument homicides have remained stable, while violent crime has fallen by over a third in the last nine years. It is already illegal to have a samurai sword in a public place but I want to restrict the number of dangerous weapons in circulation to enhance community safety.”

The consultation proposes exemptions for groups such as the To-ken Society of Great Britain and the British Kendo Association. These exemptions would cover genuine collectors’ swords made in Japan before the existing licensing regime came into force in 1953 or those made by licensed Japanese swordsmiths since that time. It also suggests that specific weapons used in martial arts or samurai swords used in sport should be exempt. It is the sale, import and hire of all cheaper imitation samurai swords – the type of weapon that is used in violent crime and which is not made in Japan under licensing arrangements – which would be banned.

It doesn't look hopefull my friends.

3. Devoken

Devoken On the Path-Off the Rails

Does anyone have any details on what form these 'exemptions' might actually take? The whole proposal seems bogus to me.

4. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

A few days ago, I wrote to my local Member of Parliament regarding this issue. Rather than simply copy the standard spam letter which simply ends up in the shredder, I took the time to write a comprehensive letter, in language that politicians understand, in order to bring the matter to attention.

Rather than the usual "please don't stop me from enjoying my hobby" letter, I took the time to address the issues in hand, to raise points both for and against this type of ban. Rather than just saying "don't do it", I attempted to offer alternative suggestions which would achieve the goals required whilst still allowing legitimate people access to swords and the activities requiring them.

I issued an open invitation for my MP to visit my dojo so he could witness for himself what legitimate sword-based martial arts practice involves. I also offered to put any and all of my resources at his disposal if it would help him to gather information.

I expected nothing to come from it. But I've just got home from work and received a very nice letter from the House of Commons, informing me that the points raised and suggestions made have been passed up the chain to the appropriate ministers so as to inform the discussion.

If we want the right result to come from this situation, we've got to show the government that as a body, we are sincere individuals who can be trusted to act responsibly in regard to the ownership of swords and other weapons.

5. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

6. nickh

nickh Valued Member

An aside: Is it just me, or does anyone else think that the people who actually use the term "samurai sword" are the ones that should be given the least access to them?

7. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

I heartily agree. :)

8. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Pass on a thank you and a well done for that one to sensei Fay for me please Scott!

9. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I agree with that!

Scott - pass on my thanks too!

10. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

I've yet to see a news/media article relating to this subject, containing an image of anything other than the cheap wall-hanging crap bought from any corner shop for £60 (or less)

Knowing the 'warts an' all' otherwise known as the British Kendo Association, I seriously doubt they have the administrative infrastructure to cope with the increases in membership should they actually become one of a small group of "exempt" organisations.

11. Dave Hail

Dave Hail Valued Member

That's the point, both the Law and the media are blind to the difference.

I also find it difficult to understand that the BKA gain an exemption when a sword ban would have less impact on them than the Iai schools.

And I mean that with all due defferance and no disrespect to any member of the BKA.

12. ScottUK

I guess you're not aware that iai forms a decent percentage of the BKA?

13. Dave Hail

Dave Hail Valued Member

No but I'm always willing to learn and try to learn a little more every day.

My appologies for my ignorance.

14. ScottUK

I noticed your profile after I last posted.

Seeing as you are into iai in a big way, I'm surprised that you are unaware of the largest iai org in the UK. How did you start in your training? Feel free to PM me to save going off-topic if you prefer.

15. Dave Hail

Dave Hail Valued Member

I would do so gladly, however, It would seem that your private e-mail is set not to allow me to send you anything.

I would be very happy to discuss both our backgrounds but you might need to e-mail me first so we can get things moving. :(

16. Dave Hail

Dave Hail Valued Member

On Friday 30th March I recieved a copy of the consultation document from the Home Office. It would appear that the only exemptions already in place is for film companies and film extra training agencies.

There appears to be at this stage, no exemptions for martial arts at all, although they have noted that there have been "Several other interested parties".

As it is also an addendum to existing offensive weapons law, it is unnecessary to run the proposal past parliment, the changes can just be instituted.

Edit: by the way, the petition has almost reached the 8000 mark as of 02/04/07.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  17. ScottUK

PM works fine, as stated in my post. However, I have sent you my email address via PM.

18. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

You know, cynical as it is, I seriously don't think that the seat warmers in Parliament wouldn't give two damns if the numbers for this petition even reached 12,000+

19. Dave Hail

Dave Hail Valued Member

Sorry mate, I've got nothing coming in or going out, I've contacted the Mods, hopefully they'll sort it for me.

Dave H

20. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

Update.

You may remember that I posted on 9th March about receiving a letter from my MP, thanking me for my suggestions and promising to forward them to the appropriate members of the committee exploring the possibility of the sword ban.

I honestly expected very little, if anything at all, to arise past this stage. However, I have just arrived home from work to find a further letter from the House of Commons.

I have been invited to put a report together, outlining the various arguments along with my suggested methods for achieving the best outcome for all concerned. This report is not going to my MP (although it was he who forwarded the request on to me). This report is being made directly to the Under Secretary of State at the Home Office at his request.

Now the fact is that I am going to do my very best to achieve the best solution possible from all this. The best solution for all parties I might add because while I am directly involved in one side of the argument in that I am a practicing martial artist, I also have to consider the wider issues as appropriate.

This is what I need from you all.

Firstly, we need to clean up these threads. I will be referencing them directly in my report because I want to show that the common practicing martial arts public is safe to own these weapons. Therefore I'm calling on the mods to make sure this place is squeaky clean please.

Secondly, I'm going to need to pick the brains of some of the more responsible members of this forum. Those who have direct experience of various JSA organisations who can help me gather information, make suggestions and propose contacts in their organisation.

There will probably be other stuff too but I need to digest and think before rushing in.

We're going to get just one shot at this ladies and gentlemen. One shot. Let's please make sure we don't stuff it up! :Angel:

Note to mods - I intend to copy this post to several other places. I know spamming is frowned upon but please be lenient under the circumstances.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.