Weightless Exercises Links

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by GhostRider, Jun 26, 2004.

1. GhostRider

GhostRider Student Of Life

I'm going to start this so folks don't have to do a whole lot of searching when they can start with these links and go from there. If you know any yourself, feel free to post. However, this is about weightless exercise links you know of that you might want to share with others. You can count Matt Furey, Pavel Tsatsouline (not his Kettlebell stuff), Dynamic Tension, Charles Atlas, Harry Wong, Jack Lalanne and others like them to be good examples of what I'm looking for. The sites I'm including are those sites that offer a good workout plan, various exercises, and other goodies that are free of charge to the public and easily printed out...

Zen In The Art Of Self Resistance

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/shenandoah/OBB/OBB.html

Doing Push-ups the Right Way!

http://www.american.edu/IRVINE/denis/pagefront.htm

The 5BX Fitness Plan for Men

http://www.statesa.com/gettingfit/5bx.php

(go here to find a link to download the 5BX Plan for free, legally!)

As I find more links, I'll post them here, train hard and have fun folks!

:cool:

2. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

3. xubis

xubis New Member

I do Scrappers stuff, how much gain do you actually get though?

4. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Did I hear you ask for "Links"???

"Body by Fish" most definitely KE (and you're dead on about MF;) )

Here's another:
    Workout Without Weights

5. Knight_Errant

Last edited: Jun 26, 2004
  6. GhostRider

No problem, I just remember how damn hard it was to find some of those places originally so why not shorten someoneelse's path for them? And thanks everyone for the sites you're posting, obviously they are sites I haven't found before and even though some of the exercises look brutal, it'll just add to the challenge, so thanks folks... :love:

7. Domestic_Rat

Domestic_Rat New Member

Tanx for those links! But I wanted to commet on the navy seals training program. The navy seals main aim is to get fit. To have alot of stamina, there training methods can actualy make you slower! As a martial-artist, speed is very important, so I wouldn't reccomend the navy seals's program. Just my oppinion though. :)

8. Knight_Errant

You're wrong, sorry. There's no way cranking out a load of exhausting exercises can make you any slower. Not as fast as if you'd been doing a program of high resistance exercises (preferably involving weights). But definetly not slower.

9. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Sorry KE you are dead wrong.

High volume low intesity exercise CAN make you slower.

10. Cain

Cain New Member

uh...I've heard the term used many times.........but what the hell does volume mean??? :confused:

|Cain|

11. YODA

Number of reps

12. Knight_Errant

really? wow! :eek: How's it do that then?

13. YODA

There will always be a trade off between muscular endurance and muscular strength. Speed is more dependant on strength than endurance.

14. GhostRider

That really cleared things up, thanks for putting it in English. :)

Now my question is, is it more important for a martial artist to have more Muscular Endurance and Slow-Twitch Power over Speed and Fast-Twitch-Strength? :confused: OR... is this one of those questions that depends on what style you take, what style of martial artist you are, or what your body type is?

And if it's the latter, is there any need to be one over the other just in general terms? :confused:

Is there a way to train for both, or is this one of those times you can't sit on the fence??? :confused:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2004
  15. YODA

You CAN have both - but you must accept that training too much for one will have a negative effect on the other.

16. GhostRider

17. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Awesome info GhostRider. Does anyone know if that self resistance stuff works in building more muscle? I was trying it a bit just now and it seems to get a nice burn going.

18. Knight_Errant

yeah, isometrics as described do indeed work- however, they only train muscles used IN THAT POSITION, so for fully functional strength as in martial arts they're pretty much a dead end.

19. GhostRider

All of it's good, some work best on whole muscle groups, some focus on specific muscles and other types of weightless exercises concentrate on endurance of the muscles.

And since some of it's great in building muscle since some exercises focus on whole muscle groups like push-ups and hindu squats, etc... however the ones that focus on a specific muscle or type of muscle group (what K.E. was referring to) treat them like body-building exercises. Exercise the whole muscle group, for example do some sets of Hindu Push-Ups, then go to Pull-Ups from the Floor, then, if you want concentrate on individual muscle groups and types and isolate. Generalize, then isolate the weak areas... that's a good general rule of thumb.

20. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Gotcha. I try not to isolate things too much. The only thing I do isolation is when I work my biceps so I can get them equal strength (right is stronger than left one...grrr...) but even at that, I do pullups and other compound movements to help work them as well.