Very Excited, named base instructor

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Kwajman, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I've been named base instructor for martial arts (TKD) on the military base I work on. We have limited resources regarding mats that can be used for training. We have to share time with gymnastics, dance, a few other activities. 3 of us who wanted to teach were asked to submit proposals and resumes and I was chosen. There were two TKD instructors and one karate instructor, I was very pleased to have been chosen.

I asked the other TKD instructor to assist me and she chose not to so hopefully I can find a student with experience. We are a extremely small military garrison that is very remote and has with limited resources so it might be difficult. Thanks to those of you who offered some insights on how to approach my presentation to the commander and rec office. I've been teaching here for about two months and only have a handful of students so far but they are very dedicated and enjoy the classes....

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Congrats Kwaj, keep us posted on how it goes

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Congrats Kwaj! Keep us posted on how it goes

4. Kwajman

Thank you sir, I'm very excited. I only have about 23-25 students right now but I have a lot of room to expand during my time using the mats.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

That's a fair amount of students man! BY no means small. Well done!

6. Kwajman

Thank you sir, being a military garrison we have a lot of transient students, TDY, etc. But we have a lot of fun, work up a lot of sweat and it pays well...

7. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Well done Kwaj, happy for you.

8. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Congratulations! :)

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Great stuff, congrats :)

10. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Very cool - congrats!

11. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

That is super cool. Good job!
    And > 20 students in a class consistently is a lot, by my standards!

12. Kwajman

Frodo, thank you. Your opinion really matters!

13. Kwajman

Thank you Aiki, I love teaching and that was one reason I got the position is my fee's are really low. I appreciate your opinion and all the hard work you do here!

14. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Kwaj,
    Welcome to the island life style.. I taught on the Airbase here on guam for almost 20 yrs until I had to give up the class when my work shift went from 8s to 12 hrs shift and changed schedule every 17 weeks.. If there is anything that you might need help with, let me know and I'll see what we can do..

Bill
    Defensive Tactics Guam

15. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Well, thank you back. That's a nice thing to hear. Hope everything goes well for you in your new role! :)

[​IMG]

16. Kwajman

Kuntaoer, I was here 30 years ago and again about 10 years ago so I know what I was getting into, and that's in a good way. Love the islands, love the lifestyle. The best thing about being here is there's no tourism so we don't have to deal with the issues that brings. I am having some trouble getting Tiger Claw to send me gear here. May have to get it shipped over on our bi-weekly supply ship. Thank you though, I'll keep you in mind. My schedule is extremely flexible. As long as I get my work done I pretty much set my own hours so I can teach whenever mat time is available. We're still sorting schedules out right now...

17. Kwajman

I have about 30 students full time now and have hired a assistant instructor from the states. I'm running about 20 adults per class and about 10-12, give or take, kids every other day. The commander is very pleased, two of his kids are in my classes and so far we've received very few negative comments!

18. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Excellent! :)

19. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Sweet man! Good luck with th rest of it :D