ATTN: Kneerider

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Pretty In Pink, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Need to start running. Don't want to do it alone. You said you'd be up for joining me in spirit. Soooo...

[​IMG]

axelb likes this.
  2. Pretty In Pink

Also, blisters. Really big blisters. My mind can do it but my body needs breaking in.

3. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Is that your first run?

Just curious.

4. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Well done chadderz!

Yeah I'll get on this with you. I've not run for a couple months so need the push to get back on it.

5. Pretty In Pink

Eh, I've ran before. That might be my first 5 mile run though? Is that a bad time? Wasn't difficult but harder on my body than my mind. There's a lot of uphill in Edinburgh mind....

Cheers man, I'm the same. Gonna start pushing it.

6. Bozza Bostik

Well, I didn't think it was the first time you had run ever in your life, no! ;)

No such thing as bad times, there's just the run. I love running myself, so I was honestly just curious about your running and schedule.

Why not do The Royal Mile to Arthur's Seat and back a few times. It's only a couple of K up and you'll get some nice views from the top! :p

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

If you're getting blisters maybe you need new shoes or new socks. I love the Hilly running socks and their twin skin socks can help to limit/prevent blisters.

8. Pretty In Pink

Have you ever ran all the way through Arthur Seat? It's amazing and I never knew it was so big!

Yeah I've never had serious blisters before. This is the first. I'll buy some anti-blister socks. In the mean time - Savlon is king.

9. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

You don't have to start with 5 milers. Start with shorter distances and work your way up.

10. Pretty In Pink

Fight coming up, so it's a five mile minimum I'm afraid :p besides, a pair of anti blister socks and I'll be golden.

11. Bozza Bostik

No, no! Just walked up it and around the place when I was last there some years back (I like Edinburgh - If I moved back to the UK, I'd look at moving there. Sorry, mate, I'd ruin your kali classes!)

Five miles is pretty heavy if you haven't been running much.

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Damn young 'uns. I spent weeks gradually building up to 5k and still had problems with my shins and ankles. Chadderz just cracks off a quick 5 miler like it ain't no thang.

Good luck on your next fight my man.

13. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

For not ever running, and doing five miles in the time you did on a course with hills, that's not too bad. On flat ground it would probably be considered a jogging pace with the time frame but most people couldn't even walk five miles without dying xD.

Get it down to a seven minute mile average and you'll be golden for your current level of comp..

I remember watching a documentary on Canelo (boxer) and he was pushing 5 minute mile averages for 5 miles :cry:

Also, this is an awesome idea, the whole thread.

14. Ero-Sennin

Oh yeah, I forgot I was going to comment on blisters as well.

I don't know what they would call it over here, but if you have the blister already pop that mess (just a small hole, don't tear the skin off, you just want the liquid out and the pressure off) and then slap some mole skin on it. Mole skin is a kind of felt like material with a very sticky backing, and you should be able to find it at a local drug store. It takes the friction off that area and keeps it from getting worse.

If you have a bad pair of shoes that have constant hot spots, you can try to shave those hot spots down. This probably isn't going to work with shoes though, I'm used to doing this with boots made of leather that allow for this sort of thing. If you can't wear the hot spots down, put mole skin on those areas prior to running.

Also, if you are breaking in your shoes and that's why you're getting blisters, walk with them in water and then walk around while the shoes/boots are wet for a mile or so and then let them dry. They'll be broken in after that and you shouldn't have blistering issues unless your feet just aren't used to the miles.

15. Pretty In Pink

Sounds like a good goal!

16. Pretty In Pink

Before I started martial arts I couldn't run 400m jog without gassing completely. I mean like DYING GASPING FOR AIR ON THE FLOOR gassing. Took five years to get somewhat athletic.

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

For me it's not the gassing it's just the general weakness of my joints and body. :(

18. Ero-Sennin

Drink the blood of your enemies and grind their bones down so you can add some to your protein shakes. That'll help with the joint issues.

This is all basic stuff Smitfire, I'm a little disappointed in you : /

(or stop playing the young man's game and do low impact cardio xD xD)

19. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Chadderz, you hyperborean bugger why couldn't you have got on this when I asked (and was actually running)? ;) I'll be doing mine on Sunday. Likely I'll only be running once a week due to time and other training (judo and back to jitz and MMA).

I'll have to keep it to 3-5k (2-3miles) for first run just to get my shins, feet, calves etc used to the stress. Then I'll ramp it back up from there to 10k(6 and a bit miles)and above. Usually only takes a few runs to get back to standard historically.

It had better not be raining, else I'll be mad at you :p

20. Pretty In Pink

Because I was like "meh, I'll do it tomorrow"and just put it off. Not today :D

Super motivated for running tomorrow. Gonna shoot for 6ish miles but flat ground. Really hoping I get a better time.