Judo vs. Wrestling against heavier, stronger strikers?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by WarriorMonk7, Jun 1, 2016.

?

Judo vs. Wrestling against heavier, stronger strikers?

1. Judo

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Wrestling

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. WarriorMonk7

WarriorMonk7 Valued Member

Hello lads,

I know a lot of you practice BJJ, but what style do you focus on to get a much bigger opponent to the ground - say, a heavy striker.

Do you prefer wrestling or judo techniques for heavier, stronger opponents that want to remain on their feet?

Marcelo Garcia ---> [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tjRZwdGm-M"]Marcelo Garcia: Wrestling vs. Judo - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEJfMkGxBVA"]Mat Chat 7 - Wrestling vs Judo Takedowns for BJJ - YouTube[/ame]

http://www.ejmas.com/jcs/jcsart_leonard_0802.htm

Thoughts?

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Wrestling for me. As much as I like judo and it is cool, there are too many things that work against it in BJJ. Things like sacrificing your back to throw an opponent, not being able to grab the legs etc.

Wrestling has all the throws + more techniques to take advantage with.

A friend of mine who does both says that judo has a big place in scrambles. Like when someone is trying to clinch back to the feet, THAT'S when you throw.

3. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

My standup is pretty abysmal so whatever I say take it with a grain of salt, but I've found it easier to implement wrestling based takedowns than judo throws.

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

However you're learning MMA wrestling from a skilled Judo practitioner. Without the Gi Judo is pretty much Greco with leg reaps and trips, which is essentially what a lot of MMA wrestling is. Also the leg grabbing is school specific and was a massive part of Judo ten years ago.
    If your back is at risk doing the throws your arm control is really poor, again without the Gi you need an over under clinch to do most of those throws anyway, and hip tosses and mares are bread and butter throws in CACC.

TKDDragon likes this.
  5. Ben Gash CLF

In San Shou and Combat Sambo people hit Judo type throws against striking all the time. I remember one of my guys hit 5 hip throws in a round once, and another threw a guy out the ring with seoi nage.

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I've learnt the arts separately too. Judo today is incredibly limiting. You can certainly modify it to fit BJJ, but modifying wrestling is a lot easier right off the bat.

You're not allowed to suplexes in great iirc. Everything that appears in Greek, appears in freestyle.

I'm not against learning judo at all, I'm just taking op for "if you had to choose one over the other....." I would choose wrestling. If you can do both then do both.

7. Ben Gash CLF

Yeah, both is best.

8. webcrest

webcrest Valued Member

Both judo and wrestling sounds good but in my opinion wrestling is far better then judo as judo has limited techniques and throws while talking on a wider sense. wrestling is best in the context that it has more tricks and techniques that equip you more to put your opponent on the ground and help yourself from being knock out.

9. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

It's wrestling, because the take-downs which allow you to cover the biggest weight differential most consistently are low single legs. You don't have to engage with his strength advantage at all, you're just using your speed to attack the structural limits of his limbs. Watch any Kazushi Sakuraba fight where he's risking his life against a heavyweight e.g. vs. Igor Vovchanchyn.

10. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Yah, I just switched to wrestling from Judo for basically the reasons Chadderz listed (although I don't do BJJ so I'm not stressed about how they fit.)

I really like Judo but I never fell in love with it. I didn't like grip fighting with a gi and I found all the rules a little complicated. Wrestling feels to me much more fluid and intuitive and I personally take to it far better.

Judo is still fantastic though and you really ought to try both to see which one clicks with you.

11. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I personally favour wrestling too. That's really due to exposure though. I've only done tiny little bit of judo and a few yrs of crap JJ and so most of my functional training has been from a wrestling base.

12. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

The only grappling style I tried was Judo and only did it for weeks then thought grappling isn't for me. I'm definitely giving BJJ a try though. From all my research, Muay Thai and BJJ have the best reputations followed by Boxing and Wrestling. Dog Bros Kali is good too though.

13. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Wrestler (ish) here!

Although maybe strapping a Gi on soon. See what happens.

14. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Everything in judo is also in wrestling really, but the emphasis is different.

In the context of the question, if their wearing a clothes its judo or gi wrestling, if their not, its wrestling or nogi judo! (Or your at the wrong night club)

15. hewho

hewho Valued Member

I did judo a long time ago, and my only wrestling experience is in my last year of san shou, so this may not be the most valid opinion, but I'd go with the wrestling, only because I'm used to using it against strikers. (side note, also do traditional jiu jitsu, not sure how much of it transfers)

16. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Judo has atemi/striking and weapons. Of course, I claimed BJJ has striking too, only to find out later I was talking about training for Vale Tudo. :hammer:

Look at this maybe in a more simple way. The majority of striking requires good use of the legs and/or gravity if you need any power. Get the opponent where they can't use their legs or gravity against you and you can take a lot of the power away from striking.

You don't have to look at this as a take down required either. For example, run a long distance, gas them out, and their legs go away. So you might be looking more at which one between wrestling and Judo is going to gas out the opponent the most reliably.