Going To HEMA Session Next Week

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Pretty In Pink, May 9, 2016.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Not 100% sure what to expect. Not too worried about being the new guy. I imagine it'll be bog standard rep techniques followed by more repping (because I'm new).

Been told to bring a pair of leather gloves (like thick gardening ones). Anything else I should know?

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

You would not believe how fast a sword comes at you.

3. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Sick! I'd genuinely love to have a bash at some form of HEMA and some ringan but although there is a place bearish to me it's just too far and there isn't enough space in my training schedule. What weapon are learning?

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Don't try and watch it.

5. Pretty In Pink

Not enough time in the week!

I'll be going less than once a month and that's only if I like it. Primarily in rested in the Saber.

6. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Be very interested in hearing what you reckon dude :)

7. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

What's the club? Want to share a site?

8. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Enjoy the sore wrist if you do sabre!

9. Pretty In Pink

http://www.dawnduellists.co.uk/

They were recommended by a friends parents. As were another group I can't remember the name of.

10. Bozza Bostik

Thanks. Just curious. HEMA is pretty interesting, so I like to have a look at the clubs and that.

11. Pretty In Pink

Pffft, I've had loads of training holding and polishing a sabre :evil::ban:

12. Bozza Bostik

We've got a good school here that does German longsword and Bolognese sidesword:

Very little in English.

http://ehms.fi/eng/

I wouldn't mind having a go there, but I am not sure which style to do! Edit: I think the beginners course you do both, then there's separate classes when you get a little more advanced.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  13. Ben Gash CLF

Ilkka is a well recognised figure in the Bolognese world, also: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrDKaCcXeVA"]Full Assault - YouTube[/ame]

14. Bozza Bostik

@Ben

Yeah. That's his club I linked. He's got a good rep, so I'd go there. there is another club that is supposed to be good, but...

15. Ben Gash CLF

Yeah, my point was that if you can't decide which style to do at his school it would make sense to do Ilkka's Bolognese classes because he's a very well known teacher (and, you know, Spadone!!!!).
    Their German classes appear to be longsword only, whereas the Bolognese classes are sword, sword and buckler, spadone, sword and rotella and sword and dagger.

16. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

The sword seems damn heavy. It looks like that if he tries to put more power on his swings he will lose control of the sword.

17. Ben Gash CLF

Greatswords are more like polearms than swords. He doesn't really need to put more power, the momentum of the blade will be more than enough.

18. Bozza Bostik

Ah, got ya.

Just checked an email I got from them when I enquired about the group, they do dussack too occasionally in the German longsword classes.

But sword and dagger wins it for me!

(We're messing up Chadz thread) But how does the Italian spadone differ from German longsword? Anything in the technique?

19. Ben Gash CLF

They're quite different weapons although Meyer and Danzig do have some greatsword work in their longsword texts. The Spadone is a true 2 handed weapon, significantly heavier an longer than a longsword.This video gives you an idea of the shear size of the weapon [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTXjcg0S_PI"]Zweihander - Two-handed sword weights - YouTube[/ame]
    Funnily enough I just ordered a book on Spadone this morning.

20. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

A spadone isn't that heavy. Usually in the 5-6 lbs range IIRC. Still heavier than a longsword, but not unwieldy.