could i have beat this kid or was he just better than me???

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by WrestelingIsfun, Apr 25, 2016.

1. WrestelingIsfun

WrestelingIsfun New Member

around 2 months ago I went to the JV county's wresting torment. I wasn't even supposed to go but the 182 starter got hurt and I weighed around 163 at the time and I was went. anyway I won the first match against the lowest seed(it was a 12 man bracket of all the county starters). I lost my second against the second seed. I won the third match against the 6th seed(im the 7th). then after then I was supposed to face the 4th seed but he left the torment with a few teammates in different weight classes for some reason, probably mad at a ref for a bad call, so I got a forfeit win, then after that I faced the 3rd seed and lost. I ended up taking 4th in jv county's whice I was really surprised by, I expected to maybe get passed the first round tbh but not place (in an admittedly not very hard bracket)I have ocd about loosing. im perfectly fine loosing to someone a lot better than me, but when its a close or somewhat close match I feel terrible about the loss. I watch the videoe and think about things I could have done differently to win. the second seed was really good and way better than me. the 3rd seed wasn't nearly as good but still good. I feel really bad about the loss even though it was a while ago. I mean he did pin the 6th seed in 1 min and I beat the same kid 5-0(I couldn't pin the kid he pined in 1 min) and had a 16-5 record and my record was 5-8 but I still feel I could have won, here's the vid... im the kid in the maroon singlet.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwvfFaPnGeo-X2RseEVsaXhTc0E/view?usp=sharing

as you saw he messed up on his shot and I got the first takedown. then after that I pretty much woke up a sleeping giant and it went downhill from there. do you think if I wrestled better I could have won(by the way I never shoot my strategy is snap downs and locking hands and sprawling, I have never shot in a match before). Do you think this kid was legitimately better than me and he just messed up his shot and and I got a lucky first takedown or I could have won? and yes I know I suck at getting off my back and should have fought off, in some recent offseason torment's ive been doing better at that. also here's the match of me beating the 6th seed 5-0(this kid in the first vid pined him in 1 min) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwvfFaPnGeo-bHVpdFdpU3VQM2s/view?usp=sharing

2. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

It's been a while since I have been in wrestling tournaments, so take this advice with that in mind. But my feeling is that all things being equal, it is random chance on the moves tried, way you are feeling that day, etc. If one is stronger, more aggressive, more skilled, then they are more likely to win. But luck is always a factor, and second guessing after the fact is a waste of time, unless the only goal is to make yourself better.

3. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

It kind of sounds like what you want to hear is that you could have beaten him, that he wasn't better than you and that you're the more talented/skilled/promising/whatever athlete. I want to say that these kinds of thoughts offer no refuge. They are false comforts, absent of any substance. Take your licks. You got beat. It was a fair match and you lost. OK. Time to move forward: how has this loss changed your training habits?

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Philosoraptor and Guitar Nado have a point.

I think the better question would be "what do others see here that I could work on to be a better wrestler and improve my skills?"

Anyone can have a good day or a bad day. He was better than you that day. Think about overall improvement rather than beating him. That ship has sailed. But there are many knowledgeable people on here who could offer input that may improve your chances of better days in the future.

I don't wrestle, but I like watching real wrestling and look forward to reading what some experienced wrestlers can say in the way of feedback.

Do you work on developing your skills to do this? So that you have that option open to you in future matches? I would say, why limit yourself and say you never do this. Develop that tool so that you have it as an additional option.

BTW, Do you truly have OCD? Are you truly having an obsessive issue with this? If you do, ignore the next paragraph. And let me know, because maybe I could offer some advice to help with that. OCD can sometimes interfere with martial arts progress when you get obsessive about a part of it. Been there, done that.

If you don't really have OCD, please don't say "I have OCD about losing." . It is defined by how much it interferes with your life. As someone who lives with OCD, I really don't like how it has become a catch phrase by people who really don't understand what it is like to live with it. I am not offended or anything- just a bit annoyed.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  5. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Seriously? Obviously if you'd wrestled better you could have won, but by virtue either of lack of skill, lack of focus, lack of conditioning or because of some tactic he used that you couldn't match, you were unable to wrestle better. Competitive sport is not merely physical, and people who aren't necessarily technically better than you will beat you time and again due to other factors.

6. WrestelingIsfun

thanks for the input. tbh I dont want to hear that I was better at all, more that he was just better than me and i should have lost. im fine loosing to someone legitimently better than me at wreteling . I hate loosing to someone I could have beat, and after a match I could have won I feel terrible and theres nothing I can do about it. especily this match because it was for third place, it wasn't just a match. judging from the vidioe was this kid just plain better than me or did I wrestle badly? also what could have I done better to win? btw the second link in my post is a match of me beating the kid he pined in the first period 5-0 if you wanted a other match for refrence.

7. WrestelingIsfun

about the comment on ocd. I do have some degree of it. for example when I watch the vidioe of a match I could have won I cringe and think of ways I could have won and feel guilty about it.

8. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Part of finding out if you are made of championship material is in how you deal with both victory and loss. If it helps, anyone can lose. The question is, what are you doing now to get better?

One formula for success is to review the video, learn from it, then move on. The moving on is very important and it helps to have a short memory. If you have learned and are ready to move on, that is a sign of a champion mindset. Treat each and every match as a championship.

As for the would of, should have, could have... well do you know the saying, the scoreboard talks, not you.

/end pep talk

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

That isn't even close to being OCD

10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Mate, I cringe at some of the fights I've been in. Part of the process. Literally EVERYONE who has performed at anything does this.

11. WrestelingIsfun

Glad to know im not the only one who does that. I guess its easier said than done, its easy to think of what you could have done better watching it.

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Hindsight is always 20/20

In any competitive environment you win or you learn, so either is a positive

13. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I've only been in about 50 or so wrestling matches compared to the 100s of my colleagues so I'll throw my few pennies in.

Crap happens.

He pancaked you, made you worked hard getting up, whilst having your arm tied up and then spun you down and 1/4 nelsoned you. And it all started from the Ref position which is hard anyway.
    It's up to how you deal with your losses. I got really low when I was on a massive losing streak. But by the next tourney, that was far from my mind and I was determined just to get through the first match.

Singlet on, boot laced. (hanky in the sock). Shake hands and wrestle.

14. WrestelingIsfun

I didnt relize he planed that whole thing at the end. that explains why I couldn't get my hands locked and snap him down. i just wish I took that match more seriously. he had a much better record than me so I wrestled a very defensive match. I should have gone in for the kill. at least next time ill know to be more aggressive and wrestle a better match against an opponent that I don't think I can beat or someone with a much better record like this kid had.

15. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

There aren't a lot of wrestlers who won based purely on their defence. Playing defence is a self defence thing. In competition you must be the agressor or at the least a counterer.

16. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Don't sweat losing. Every time someone beats you they have given you a gift to improve yourself. Either he was a better wrestler or he wasn't. It doesn't matter. He beat you. So take that gift and don't let it go to waste.

17. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

And don't start looking for excuses why you lost.
    All this: "Ooh, If I would have known that..." and the such some people tend to get into, are nothing but excuses to make oneself feel better and sugarcoat it a bit.
    In my opinion anyway.

That won't help anyone to get better at anything.

You lost - learn from it, grow due it, improve and you might get more lucky the next time.

18. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I'm a counter-person so it works(ish) for me. But yes you do need be the aggressor at times.
    My favourite throw is the over the shoulder throw.
    Its simple, effective, gives you the points and can even lead to a pin depending on the landing.
    However it has also been a downfall to me many times as I have to expose my side/back to get that throw in.

My best execution of it was when we were in the collar/elbow tie and as my opponent was physically bigger he was bulldozing me towards the redzone. Using his momentum I changed my foot position and i grabbed the overhooking arm and threw him. His momentum + my throw = both of us in the air and I landed on him and I went for the pin. But we were out of the ring.

That was me going from defense to attack.

Like others have said, loss is a learning tool. Speak to your coach and your team mates and practice some positions/counters/attacks.

Maybe start off from the Ref position more, with an arm/leg hooked. Or even start from flat.

Also dont worry about the other person's record. The fight game has shown that anything can happen.

I've lost to people who according to my coach "shouldnt of" yet I've managed to hold my own with the competition favourites.

(Saying that, my team went up against the Russian Oly hopefuls and...well....lets just say my team had no chance anyway)

19. WrestelingIsfun

I am ussuly much more aggressive vs someone who I am almost certain is inferior to me. Like in the same tornment I wrestled this kid ranked above me but 1 look at him I knew I could win. He was shorter, weaker and not in as good shape as me and I won 5 to nothing. 1 look at the kid who beat me in the vid I knew he was good. I've seen him give studs a run for there money in other tornements and he was taller than me and maybe stronger. I think I need to start treating all opponents the same no matter how good they
    are.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  20. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

So you only want ot fight, or better: you only feel good fighting people you "know" are not as good as you?

Yeah, that's the spirit...