Shin Kicks

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Music Man, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Music Man

Music Man Valued Member

I have some questions about Shin kicks in Muay Thai. I am a drummer so I use my feet a lot on the bass drum pedals. I have heard practicing Muay Thai shin kicks deadens the nerves in the shins (I assume the same goes were the foot and the leg meet because I've seen a lot of hits happen there as well).

My question is will these kicking techniques hurt my ability to play the drums with my feet because of killing nerve endings or stiffness or anything like that?

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Kobe Bryant is studying Jeet Kune Do

Serge Ermoll (Australian Jazz pianist) was a 5th Dan Karateka

Mick Jagger used to do Judo

David Le Roth is a martial artist.

Willie Nelson is a black belt

And the list goes on.

You are not as delicate as you may think

Just go train. Beginners aren't sparring with great big ugly killers.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  3. liero

liero Valued Member

You will be fine. Maybe the odd shin clash will make some walking/drum peddling hurt for a day or two but it's just as likely you will trip down the stairs as that happening

4. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

All martial arts that practice a form of kicking within their curriculum are going to have their thing about the shin. Sometimes you hit an elbow with your shin and hurts like no other, other times it's the point of impact for your kick. Of all the things to kick with, the shin has got to be one of the safest parts to hit with. It's your tibia, the weight bearing bone of your leg, having said that, it can still break but, considering what else is in your foot. The small bones and the like in the foot and ankle, you're probably safer in your music career with a Muay Thai style kick. I personally hit with the ankle, yeah I realize it's probably one of the dumber things to kick with, but it is the most comfortable for me. I can also change the point of impact at my discretion to my shin if I aim to hit a rib or my foot if I want to hit the head and simply tap them.

I have an older (to put it nicely) that has been training in Muay Thai and FMA for years. I don't remember exactly how far he got with Muay Thai but apparently he did pretty good, he left Kajukenbo to pursue that part of his life. He ended up coming back, they all come back. :D Anyway, with live stick fighting, there's a saying in some tournaments and between instructors that you're always moving in and out of contact because if you stay in one place for too long, you're going to get hit about 3 times in the legs before you can say "OW!" You'd think that his shins/lower legs are dead to pain or at least not functioning properly due to the Muay Thai and punishments with FMA, but he has some of the better footwork of people I know.

If you think about footwork, there's some similarity to using the drum pedals. There are small changes in tempo and rhythm that are either part of a piece (of music) or to keep your opponent guessing. (for marital arts). You'll be fine, our bodies are surprisingly able to take a fair amount of punishment. Martial arts wouldn't have made it this far or stayed around for this long if a short time in, your fine motor control went to hell and back, ultimately moving onto loss of motor function for basic things. Don't worry about that kind of stuff before you've even started, any good gym is going to do its job and get you ready. Worry too much and you might never start.

5. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

The drummer in my band has been doing Muay Thai for 5 years, and I don't think it has caused him any issues for the reasons you mention. He did get a meniscus tear, but I guess that can happen with almost any MA. He was back playing within a couple of weeks after laprosopic surgery to trim the meniscus - but we layed off on the songs with lots of fast bass drumming for a while.

I have read your threads about picking a MA, and I have to say I think you are over thinking it greatly. Accidents can happen with anything, there is some risk to any MA - but most are pretty safe.

Stay away from breaking cinderblocks, punching iron pans 1000s of times a day, etc. Avoid extreme conditioning to hands and shins/feet and you should be not in any major risk for problems.

6. Music Man

Music Man Valued Member

Thanks all for the great responses and help!

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

From a injury ridden MAPper, competitor. I go with the saying...

"Even tennis players get tennis elbow"

In training you'll get to be sore now and again. However, training smart is key. I been training MT for a long while, I always wear shin guards during sparring but not during padwork. You would ache more from your thighs and hamstrings than from the shins themselves.
    However, very rarely a shin or instep will connect with an elbow. But in all my years, I think I can count in one hand how many times that has happened.

The only time I have heard of people being very careful are Drs and Artists (tattoo artists like Ami James) who train in MMA but protect their hands as much as they can. Mostly doing mitt work and nearly no sparring. Because that is their money maker.

Go train. Have fun.

8. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

My assistant instructor is the drummer for the band Suspect Alibi. He's been training for five years, had 16 interclubs and three fights.

His drumming ability is just fine.

9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

His rhythm and body co-ordination must be awesome.

10. daggers

daggers Valued Member

Obviously if your throwing bare legs against someone you stand a good chance of catching their elbow or knee with your foot or shin which would definitely hinder your bass pedal dexterity but as a rule the shin will feel less pain with conditioning while still leaving your drumming skills in tact :)

11. combatarts

combatarts Valued Member

You are not killing nerves in your shin you are just desensitizing them...