How many times a day to you have to eat to be big and strong?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Bubble99, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Bubble99

Bubble99 Valued Member

One or two times day is going to make you skinny. To get big and strong to you have to eat 4 to 8 times in a day? Or is that only for bodybuilders or MMA fighters?

Eating two or three times a day and lifting weights will do nothing. Have to eat 4 to 8 times in a day and be lifting weights two or three times a week?

How any times does Ronda Rousey eat in a day?What does she do to be very strong?

People who do Judo or karate takes lot of energy and eating two times day is not enough.

Mostly bodybuilders and martial arts people eat protein with very little carbs.

2. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

It's really based on metabolic rate (catabolism and anabolism) in addition to calories in.
    Your body is going through this exchange of what it's burning as well as what it's intaking. You can eat 5 times a day but if you burn the equivalent of 6 meals, you're going to lose weight. You can eat 3 times a day but with a lifestyle that burns 2 meals a day, you're going to gain weight. Eat a properly balanced diet. Eat normal food, like home cooking but make sure you can balance it off with the necessary nutrients. If you eat 2000 kcal in one sitting or eat 400 kcal each sitting for 5 sittings, you're eating the same amount of calories, it's just that your body can also use those 400 kcal meals a bit more efficiently and not having to store it.

Ronda Rousey and other professional athletes have nutritionists and the budget to pick their meals and have it well balanced, either through their own power or through a chef. Normal people like you and I don't have that same luxury of buying the best cuts, so eating normally and exercising properly and often will go a long way.

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I have just read an article that said:

The dinner that you eat daily:

- 1/4 is for yourself.
    - 3/4 is for your medical doctors.

Also,

- you should not eat anything after 7 pm.
    - If you don't feel hungry when you wake up in the morning, you must eat too much the night before.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  4. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

I read something that also said, eat when you're hungry. Stop when you're satisfied. Not stuffed like a turkey, but ... not hungry anymore.

5. HairoNoSora

HairoNoSora Valued Member

So many plans and 'strategies', but counting calories is really the only way to go. One day might mean 3 meals, another means 6, etc.

6. Ros Montgomery

Ros Montgomery Valued Member

Whyever not? I eat constantly from 6.30 pm to bedtime.

7. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

So much this!
    When I lost(!) weight (the first 25kg; for the rest I changed it a bit) I ate at around 5 times a day.

I just took care of *what* I ate.

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

total calories, not meal frequency, govern changes in size. strength training makes you strong. strength training and a relatively high-calorie diet make you big and strong.

eating many times a day lets you better control what you eat, and can be used to ensure you get more calories in.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  9. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

It doesn't matter how many times you eat. What matters is how much and what you eat. The only people who really need to eat at more times are really big people. If. Someone's at 130kg with 5% bodyfat they would need more protein if they wanted further muscle mass. Since you can only process 20 to. 40g per session depending on who you ask they need to eat more often. Just take in more calories if you stop growing and get to a stage where I you need more just add more frequent meals.

10. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i think you need to do some independent research on dieting.

11. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

12. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

When you are sleeping, you should let your stomach to rest. Try to sleep with full stomach can give you a lot of health problems. Today, our problems are not because we don't eat enough, it's because we eat too much.

13. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

14. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Admittedly, dieting/nutritional math is not exactly my strong point, but I do cut weight for competitions. So here's my 2pence worth.

I'm 5ft 11 (6ft on a good day).

I usually walk around at 88kg, compete at 85kg (sometimes at 80kg). I usually give myself around 6 weeks worth of dieting. And I would eat around 3 or 4 times a day.

Morning - 25g of carbs (bread/toast/oats)

Lunch / Dinner - meat and leafy greens (lunch would sometimes be replaced with a protein shake)

Snacks would be nuts or rice cakes with almond/cashew butter for cravings.

Obviously, the more I exercise the more I tend to eat. However, I try to keep a "rough" 1200cal a day. If I go over, then I go over. What I do is keep an eye on my weight, rather than what I'm eating on the day and have a guesstimate.

What I'm essentially getting at, if you want to be big, eat loads. But be sensible (obviously) if you simply want mass etc. But if you want to compete, then you have to be more...."sensible-er".

Otherwise, eat whatever. You're not competing, so I don't see why carbs whilst off-season/in between comps is an issue. Saying that, I am a foodie, grew up in a restaurant environment and will destroy anyone that stands between me and a peanut butter oreo.

15. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

pleb food!

you want a sticky toffee pudding on a layer of bananas with a short bread biscuit base and a scoop of vanilla ice cream (real pod only)

16. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Heresy!
    (an Americano would wash this down very well)

17. Bubble99

Bubble99 Valued Member

I think that is mostly true for people that are not trying to big like bodybuilder.

I sure bodybuilders eating every two hours.

18. Bubble99

Bubble99 Valued Member

I think it was some bodybuilder web site that where saying you have to eat 4 to 8 times in day or more.

Eating two or three times in a day and lifting weights to get really big will do nothing.

19. Bubble99

Bubble99 Valued Member

I think many people think that lifting weights two or three times in a week will allow you to bulk up but if you eating very little that will do nothing.

Say that people that try to bulk up have to eat lots.

May may it is that lifting weights and exercises takes lot of energy and makes very hungry.

20. Bubble99

Bubble99 Valued Member

From what I understand bodybuilders and borderline bodybuilders eat mostly protein with very little carbs.

Most MMA fighters eat mostly protein.