having some leg difficulity

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by furinkazan, Sep 5, 2015.

1. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

ok so recently with my karate training, Im finding the inside of my right leg, right where the muscle meets the kneecap has been making some consistant cracking and popping, thing is it feels sore, slightly swollen and no amount of massage or rest is making it go away. Its not like my usual tension stuff either because its actually causing sharp pains around the joint whenever I kick or twist into a roundhouse kick. Its been going on for 2-3 weeks and Im not sure what Ive done but Im starting to get a bit concerned. I can still walk and stuff on it fine ad go into stances, but explosive movement makes me feel weakened in the area. Could be a small muscle tear or strain for all I know

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Do you fully lock-out your leg when kicking?

3. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

Not particularly, I think it started when I messed up turning on that leg during a roundhouse

4. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Sounds like a situation where you should see a doctor to figure out what is going on. It could be a tear and a slight dislocation.

Are you used to this type of injury or is this the first time? Once you get the swelling down, you can feel your good knee area and feel the bad one both visibly and with your hands. Note any differences such as tenderness, anything loose or out of place, grainy areas, or holes. Holes can be tears in the tissue. Something out of place can be a dislocation. Grainy areas could be scar tissue or fragments.

None of this replaces a doctor, but you should take care of yourself in the mean time.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Perhaps not turning your planted foot when kicking? Could cause some injury very easily.

6. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

if it was a bad turn during a roundhouse it's likely to be a ligament. go to a doctor.

7. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

To me, that sounds like you have a minor tear/sprain of the ligaments. Then again, it could simply be a touch inflamed.

I would go to the doctor and get their opinion, but in the meantime you might want to consider a knee support to give you some stability.

8. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I agree with the "go to a doctor" crowd. I've never had this sort of injury, so I don't even know if you should ice it or not. :/ Sorry.

9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

10. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

You need to have it looked at to have it clarified what is going wrong. You've already described complaints that could be from either your knee or your patello-femoral joint and discussions will only give you a bit of info. Your injury mechanism could have hurt either of the two structures. People on here are thinking your knee but what you have said sounds more like the knee cap. It's not clear and there are lots of factors that could affect either problem eg stiff hip, tight ankle, knee groove depth, ITB tightness, glut medius weakness yadda yadda.. see a GP or an orthopaedic/sports physiotherapist. The only problem I have with a GP is the tendency in some places for patients to be given meds to settle the thing down and told to be inactive which isn't really conducive with most martial arts training.. It there isn't anything wrong (it's healed) then scar tissue/weakness/tightness/coordination issues need to be addressed to prevent re-occurrence of the problem. This might be addressed by the GP but in many places they don't have time for this as they are over worked and they may or may not be able to offer physiotherapy treatment through their offices.

So yeah, best advice is get it looked at :' D

LFD

11. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

I've decided Im going to head to the physiotherapists in my town, theres a massive waiting list for all services at my local doctor's and since Ive got seminars coming and a grading next month I need it looking at a lot sooner than the doctors can give me.

12. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

I might suggest asking if the physio is a member of the MACP or has trained in orthopaedic medicine (or similar) things. I would still go to the GP and see what the response is as first always make sure that you are covering your safety. Most things are simple but it can't hurt to have 2 opinions and dangerous things may not always show when the first person see's you. I doubt there is anything serious but it's not costing anything to see the GP and if things don't improve you have your foot in the door to make use of the NHS's resources.

LFD

13. Hortone2321

Hortone2321 New Member

I know a friend who had a similar experience with his legs. He used to say that he had some sort of constant or pinching pain around the kneecap region and once he rests for some time the pain goes off. Initially, he doesn’t take much attention to that, but then the pain got severe and frequent cracking in his knees. Then he consulted a chiropractor of a sports injury clinic in Toronto called AESM. I’m not sure what treatment he had there, but when I see him after the treatment, he was well fit with no problems in his knee. So I think you should try consulting a chiropractor asap.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2015
  14. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

Been seen by a chiropractor in the last few days, She diagnosed that what's going on is the muscles in my outer leg have shortened (something thats common when you work as an animator) but overall the clicking isnt harmful. Makes sense cause I have been gradually feeling less flexible for a while. There's nothing necessarily damaged in my knees though, which is good, just got to keep moving a lot more and do what I can to increase my flexbility.

Same's going for my shoulders and other joints, got a shoulder that gets huge stinging pains in it during bench or push ups, but its just really tightened neck and back muscles, even though I thought I'd torn my rotator cuff at one point

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2015
  15. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

Ok, so theres been more problems with my leg in the last few days, by which I mean a sudde horrible snapping sound right below my glute. It's swollen and I cant rotate my leg out or in very well. Spent some time limping about too. I cant straighten it fully either, so Ive gone back to the doctors, they want to scan it in case my hip cartillage has torn

16. bluelaser

bluelaser Valued Member

Naturopathic nutrition, check out dr peter glidden and dr robert morse on youtube.

Basicly you need to feed your body the raw materials (vitamins and minerals and efa's 3,6&9) it needs to fix itself, which it will.

I take a product called tangy tangerine 2.0 multi vit and mineral suppliment, theres alot of mis / disinfomation about the product so ignore thoses comments, if one needs proof that nutrition works check out todd harrison this guys recovering from muscular distrophy.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aE7-cpvZNw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aE7-cpvZNw[/ame]

17. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Recovering from Muscular Distrophy by taking a multi vitamin supplement. Really?

Curing an hereditary disease using a multi vitamin. Excuse me if I'm sceptical.

Professor Doug Turnbull, the Professor of Neurology at the University of Newcastle says this, "there are currently no treatments for most of the muscle wasting conditions we support".

http://www.musculardystrophyuk.org/progress-in-research/

18. bluelaser

bluelaser Valued Member

Yes i know it's hard to believe, but facts are facts.

The problem is the md medical system is known as allopathic reductionism, in which the md's are taught the body cannot fix itself, and the only sollution is drugs which manage symptoms and surgery.

heres a glidden video

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGiPZPog1GQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGiPZPog1GQ[/ame]

19. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

have you completed a medical degree?

if not, you have no idea of what MDs are or are not taught.

Dead_pool likes this.
  20. bluelaser

bluelaser Valued Member

No i haven't.

But i'd just like to say i'm not selling anything, i'm only recommending a product which i use to improve my health, after researching naturopathic wholistic medicine (ND).

I'm skeptic about telling people about ''alternate'' medicine.

All i can say regardless of your medical condition you can improve and recover your health using naturopathic medicine..

Do your own research youtube is full of naturopathic doctors.

If your capable of learning martial arts, your capable of recovering your health.

But according to john hopkins university quote

Allopathic Medicine (M.D.)
    According to MedTerms Dictionary, allopathic medicine is defined as "The system of medical practice which treats disease by the use of remedies which produce effects different from those produced by the disease under treatment. M.D.s practice allopathic medicine. The term "allopathy" was coined in 1842 by C.F.S. Hahnemann to designate the usual practice of medicine (allopathy) as opposed to homeopathy, the system of therapy that he founded based on the concept that disease can be treated with drugs (in minute doses) thought capable of producing the same symptoms in healthy people as the disease itself."

http://web.jhu.edu/prepro/health/allopathic.html