Gloves for sparring

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by conure1986, May 4, 2015.

1. conure1986

conure1986 Valued Member

Hey guys,

I've had three classes now and have decided to buy my own gloves, as the ones the gym provides are pretty tatty and don't fit great. Everyone else in the class has their own so I'm hoping I'll wont appear like an 'all the gear, no idea newbie'!

Anyway, there is a shop nearby that sells boxing gloves - would these be fine for training? I know I'd need a different set for sparring, but this is purely for pad word and general MT practice.

Alternatively, I could order specific Muay Thai gloves but they'd not arrive until the end of the week most likely.

Should I wait it out, or is there no real difference in terms of training?

Edit - Sorry, the title should be gloves for training, not sparring.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Getting your own gear is always a good idea. First off I'd say don't bother yourself with bag gloves, use one set of gloves for everything. It helps you get use to wearing them. Buy hand wraps, as they are essential.

Also, you get what you pay for. If you have no problems sticking with combat sports for the long haul, get something £30+ to wear. Also shin pads are exactly the same. Get what you pay for.

Good luck :)

3. conure1986

conure1986 Valued Member

Thanks for the advice again Chadderz :) Do you think something like this:

http://www.sportsdirect.com/lonsdale-pro-safe-spar-training-gloves-762250?colcode=76225062

Would be decent for a beginner? If so, would you recommend 12 or 14oz?

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

14-16 oz. is a nice size range.

Enough padding so you won't damage your hand/wrist when punching a bag, nor will you hurt your training partners (too much ;) ).

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I wouldn't reccommend Lonsdale or everlast for gloves. You're looking at fairtex, hayabusa, twins, venum or kings.

You will need 14-16oz gloves. Anything smaller is unsafe for sparring, the only real factor is the size of your hand and your weight.

6. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Buy Sandee gloves. They do a good low end range with quality stitching. Will cost about £35. Their better kit will cost about £55-£65 And is also worth a purchase. I wore a pair for my title fight.

Blitz do some decent low end gloves aswell. Much better than anything you'll buy in Sports Direct.

Boon, Windy and Raja also do decent gloves. Yokkao too though I think they're overly expensive compared to other brands of the same quality.

Venum has gone downhill. I wouldn't buy from them now. High cost and low quality.

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Would you always buy leather gloves?

8. Unreal Combat

Myself personally? Yes. But for me they see use at least three times a week if not more. My Fairtex have lasted me for years now.

It really depends on the brand and how often they will be used. For a beginners first gloves I wouldn't advise spending alot because they may find after a few months that it's not for them. So a pair from Sandee's low end range would be a good choice because they're only a little more than Sports Direct offerings but of a much higher quality due to superior stitching.

If after say six months they want to get a better pair then I would say start looking at more expensive Leather offerings.

9. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I've had my cheap-end Sandee gloves for 7 years now and I'm only just having to replace them. And that's only because the velcro's buggered, not a problem with the gloves per se.

10. Unreal Combat

Yours are likely to be leather, not synthetic leather. Sandee only just released their synthetic range a few months ago. So I wouldn't call yours low end?

11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

In boxing I spar with 14oz. But with Muay I go down to about 12oz.
    As what Chadderz says, I glove for all. To get used to the glove. I hate bag gloves, go straight for sparring gloves.

12. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Price wise. Mine cost 35 if I remember right which seems cheap for a decent pair.

13. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I use the Bad Breed 16oz ones and certainly have no complaints. Unfortunately they seem to have stopped doing the Firepower ones which were really good value for money.

14. Unreal Combat

Might still find some Firepower gloves on eBay or Amazon. Shop around a bit.

15. Kave

Kave Lunatic

I use Boon 16oz gloves and I find they are great for sparring. One of the guys at my gym used to use Hayabusa, they were like rocks and I hated sparring against him.

16. VoidKarateka

VoidKarateka Valued Member

I've been using some 160z RDX gloves for a while now, no complaints at all. The shin guards are ace as well. Grabbed mine from Amazon and they sent me some weightlifting gloves too, couldn't complain :)

17. Adsy

Adsy Valued Member

Dont get anything from Sports Direct for Muay thai, not unless you dont intend to punhc anything with them.

Any of the thai brands are good, i do a lot of photography for SANDEE and i can vouch for it being absolute quality, you will more likely ditch them after three years becasue they start smelling, not because they fall apart.

This is a great deal at the moment,

The SANDEE CLassic V2.0 was one of fave designs of last year, but it was always a limited edition. Get a pair with a 50% discount while stocks last,

Use CLASSIC50 code at checkout for a 50% discount, this code isnt event on the website.

Here is the link

http://www.sandeeboxing.com/boxing-...-black-white-yellow-leather-boxing-glove.html

18. conure1986

conure1986 Valued Member

Hi Adsy,

I already bought the sports direct ones as they were only £25 and I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy Muay Thai. It's been six weeks now and I still love it so just ordered the ones you linked! They're only available in 12oz as they're almost sold out, but I think this will be fine and when I start sparring down the line I can buy a second pair at 16oz.

Thanks very much for the code :)

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  19. leeroyjenkins

leeroyjenkins Valued Member

I went for MTG personally, they have lasted me 2 years, but they have started spilling some foam out the front. Make sure to take care of them, i'm guilty of leaving them to rot in my sports bag

20. Unreal Combat

MTG are decent quality.