Getting Involved in Pro-Wrestling

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Mangosteen, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I'm curious, as I know a number of people on this site have been involved in or know people in pro-wrestling, how do you get involved in pro-wrestling?

There aren't exactly many clubs and it seems that people are involved through family or contacts. A majority of interviews I've seen seem to be the same as sumo - they get strongmen involved because huge guys are the best promotion.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I know a place in Dumnfermline, taking place on Sundays. (Or at least it was)

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Most of the local promotions will have training schools or affiliated schools

The quickest way is to ask an actual wrestler where they train at. These days it is a lot easier since kayfabe no longer applies

4. Hannibal

A good starting point is google these days

http://www.ringsideworld.co.uk/trainingSchools.php

For me I actually stopped an indie wrestler when I was at work and as I was speaking to him I told him I enjoyed his last match. He was so suprisedb he actually laughed and we became friends after that....I am still a mark at heart

5. Mangosteen

whats kayfabe?

6. Hannibal

Oh sorry....Kayfabe is this pretence of reality. In "kayfabe" a small high fligher can match up with a 290lb monster and The Undertaker can turn lights off with a gesture.

7. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

The fiction of wrestling. So the characters, personas and storylines

8. Hannibal

Ninjered! Lol

9. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I just got asked. There was a wrestling school that trained in a Muay Thai gym I was training in, I had done freestyle with some of the guys (Robbie Dynamite) and they just asked me if I was interested. I said no. If they'd asked me years later, I would have said "hell yes" as Sabu is god and Mexicans rule!

So it's just a case of asking them to join in the training when or if you find a school...or them asking you.

IIRR, nor everyone who trained "fought", bit like martial arts.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  10. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I used to travel to Essex with my wrestling coach as he taught at a Pro Wrestling school.
    A lot of Pro Wrestle guys train Freestyle as well as most come from that kind of background.

What I like is that Lucha Libre for a while had a bit of a come back in London. Performing in East somewhere and thats my favourite type of wrestling. (I got a full on Rey Mysterio costume somewhere)

11. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

There's a pro wrestling school in Swindon and I do have some contacts.

12. StrikingDragon

StrikingDragon Valued Member

Turns out a guy i do judo with is an indie wrestler...

Go and watch a show and then ask someone?

Where are you based?

13. Broadwalk

Broadwalk New Member

What country are you in? If Canada, seek out Lance Storm. If USa, seek wither Booker T or the Team 3D academy.

14. Mangosteen

im in the UK :)

15. Hannibal

SNAKE PIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Broadwalk

Broadwalk New Member

Then get a plane ticket ;-)

17. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.