Jedi Training Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Obewan, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

I really need to step it up a notch, the dark force has entered the mid section of my galaxy. I must expel them before they take over. Mornings are the only time I have available to train, the problem is I'm not a morning person. :confused:

We'll see how it goes. :cool:

2. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Ok, Wow, getting started finally. Leg day, my knees are a problem from day one. It's knee bends all day 5 of 10 reps anytime I get a free moment. So far 100 squats. Must strengthen the joint for low stances in hyung practice.

3. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Ok, that didn't go very well. Let's try again.

Today was weapons day. All weapons hyung (8) 4 times each. Thats 32 hyung non stop took me 45 minutes I'm spent, however I feel great and I feel I accomplished something.

I've set up a six week training program to up my cardio and perfect my hyung, The object is to lose weight gain endurance and strength.

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Post your training program!
    It's interesting to see cos i like to change mine if i see something i like in yours!

5. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

This is a Hyung (forms) only training.

Here's the plan:

First two weeks, switch between empty handed forms and weapons forms every other day. Yesterday was weapons, today is empty hand. There are eight of each so at four times each that's 32 hyung per session.

Next four weeks Monday Wednesday, or Tuesday Thursday, all weapons and empty hand forms four times each, 68 hyung. The other days will be rest and perhaps a 1000 kick session on an off day Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.

That's it in a nut shell it's simple, no equipment necessary.

6. Mangosteen

Well whats your cardio plan like?
    And do you want to gain strength or strength endurance?

7. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

It's all bundled together, the cardio is the non stop hyung which take approx 45 minutes, the strength endurance which is probably, as you pointed out, the benefit of the workout. I'm not looking to bulk up, however I will be expecting to tone up. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Do you watch the ol' diet? That accounts for at least 75% of toning up IMO

Keep it up!!

9. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Yes, I'm starting that today, salads fish and chicken. :( gallons of water.

10. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Keep away from processed foods, drink a lot of water, exercise right, sleep frequently, and have a great determination and you've got yourself set :)

Besot of luck with your goals!!

11. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Thanks, Seventh all natural foods you got it. Just finished my empty hand hyung night, what a workout, I'm spent again, but I feel real good about the workout. Soaked to the skin with sweat, my wife isn't liking the laundry LOL. I'll weigh in tomorrow, two days ago I weighed 194lbs. My legs are shot, but I got a good stretch afterwards.

12. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Ok weigh in at 190lbs this morning :D, OMG I think I'm going to have to rethink the quantity of my workout. I got through it, however 3/4 through I threw up a little in my throat. My knees are swollen a tad. I think I'm going to listen to my body. Rest tomorrow, light workouts over the weekend, maybe treadmill or bag work. Next week I'm going to adjust my workout, focus will be on quality not quantity. I'm cutting the workload in half but push myself harder through lower stances and more speed and focus. The gains should be similar except the skill level of the hyung should improve. The theory is "practice don't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect"

13. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Here's the new plan:

week 2
    Mondays- 5 empty hand hyung 4 times each.
    Tuesday- 4 weapons hyung 4 times each.
    Wednesday- 4 empty hand hyung 4 times each.
    Thursday- 4 weapon hyung 4 times each.

week 3 & 4

Monday- combine all empty hand forms 4 times each
    Tuesday- rest
    Wednesday- All weapons 4 times each
    Thursday- rest

Week 5-6

Monday, Wednesday- All Hyung weapons and empty hand 1 time each
    Tuesday, Thursday- Rest

Friday-Sunday light to medium workouts- Kicks, Bag work, Mats, Self-defense techniques.

Could change depending on how my body reacts!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  14. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Ok new plan started today, Man that was great! The workout took 40 minutes with half the amount of material covered. My body was taxed at the end without the knee pain. I was able to concentrate on technique and stances. I got way more out of this workout than the previous ones. The low stances made my legs burn, and my chest was burning as well. The pain was the "Good Pain" I was looking for from the workout. Can't wait till tomorrows workout. The diet is going OK I fell off on Saturday and Sunday, but got right back on it today. I'll weigh in tomorrow and see where I'm at.

15. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Are you doing any resistance training?

16. Mangosteen

i agree. he should do some resistance to strengthen the joints and keep away the achey knees

17. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

No not right now, My goal is to improve my endurance. Doing the hyung 4 time each is pretty tough. Today I will be doing weapons hyung the extra weight of the weapon will provide some resistance. I get as low as I can in my stances throughout the hyung to help with my core, it's amazing the difference between my workouts, instead of just going through the motions of my forms as fast as I can, By working on stances and moving correctly I still get a good workout and my technique and balance will improve.

Here's an examples of an empty hand hyung. Pay particular attention to the last couple of stances, he doesn't do a good job of holding them low all the way through. I try to keep my legs at 90 degrees throughout. This is about the speed I do them when I'm doing them 4 times each. This is one of the longer forms they range from about half to a little more movements depending on the belt level.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHWdkFLUaZ8"]Kuk Sool Won Baek Pahl Ki Hyung Huy Pham - YouTube[/ame]

18. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Ok yesterday was staff.

Single Short Staff x 4
    Double short staff x 4
    Middle Staff x 4
    Spear x 4

About 30min

Great Workout I was spent, Concentrated on balance, timing, control of the weapon, and stances.

Weigh in 188lbs! :)

19. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Yesterday was treadmill day 45 min, good workout had to rest my upper body, old injuries were rearing their ugly head. Diets going well I'll weigh in tomorrow. Tonight will be the other half of empty hand hyung training. These are the big ones, high level, many kicks and intricate hand movements. Should be fun!

20. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Good for you for doing that. I can't last more than five minutes on a cardio machine.