Ways to avoid swollen ears

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Greetings!, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Greetings!

Greetings! Valued Member

Greetings everyone,

Six years ago, I previously took BJJ for 5 months and greatly enjoyed it. The only reason I stopped doing BJJ was because, as I understand often happens in BJJ, my ear swelled up with blood and had to be drained, on two separate occasions within that 5 month time frame. Regrettably, the medical professional working with me at the time advised me to discontinue doing BJJ because of her concern that if my ear swelled up with blood a possible third time, and she subsequently had to drain it, it could possibly become infected.

It now being 6 years later, I would like to give BJJ a try once more, hopefully, without the recurrence of swollen ears.

6 years ago at the time, in an effort to salvage my ability to continue doing BJJ, willing to try anything, I think I maybe dabbled with using a headgear piece a couple of times to see if that would possibly take some pressure off of my ears. If I recall correctly, that did not at all work. In fact, if I am recalling correctly, the headpiece maybe (I am not completely sure since it was 6 years ago.) in fact actually contributed to accentuate the pressure into my ears unfortunately even more so. (?)

The above being said, has there been possibly some advancement in headgear technology design within the last 6 years that may now actually help me?

Or, are there possibly other better ideas for me to be able to resume my interest in BJJ without any possible repercussions to my ears?

I don’t know if the application of vaseline to my ears before every workout would possibly help my ears. (?) However, I have to admit that, even if vaseline actually would help me, if I would want to have to put that greasy mess on my ears before every single BJJ workout.

Thank you very much for any possible responses.

The best to all,
    Greetings!

2. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

If your ears are prone to cauliflowering and you train BJJ for any length of time, you're almost certainly going to end up with them somewhat messed up. You're also probably going to have to disregard the advice of various nurse practitioners who tell you to take up long walks instead because minor joint injuries are SUPER DUPER DANGEROUS.

If either of these possibilities bother you intensely, I wouldn't bother with BJJ, to be honest.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Yeah, either get better head gear or man/woman up and accept cauliflower ear will happen.

4. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I was told, that when you ears were swollen once it might happen again easier - and in my case that's true.
    Its hardly noticable but right now my right ear is again slightly swollen, my left ear had the same months ago.

I admit though: I didn't let it drain.
    Until I noticed something weird with my ears it was pretty much too late and my Doc told me it would nearly entirely go away by itself - which it did.
    Well... Mostly anyway ;)

Regarding earguards: I had to use one when my left ear was swollen and if I were smart, I'd probably be wearing it right now as well, but I just don't like it.

The reason I don't like it though isn't because it wouldn't work.
    Actually it did work rather well and would have workd even better, if my head apparently wouldn't have stopped growing too soon ;) (yeah, the earguard is a little bit too big; but it would hold anyway).

Why I personally don't like it: It impairs my hearing a bit, which I really hate.
    I can't stand it, when I don't understand what it said to me or if people talk in my back and I don't at least roughly know what is going on.
    And worse: It made it difiicult at times to hear a tap out by my partner; one of the reasons why I personally try to always tap at my partner himself, is because it can't be overheard and with that thing it nearly happened once or twice.

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

1) don't rub your ears into people / don't fight the crossface once its locked in
    2) wear good headgear
    3) Get cauliflower ears treated by a professional.
    4)be strict about hygiene
    5) man/woman up - couliflower ear is minor compared to most injuries, ive lost count of the fingers ive broken.

ps theres less CF ear in gi then nogi, maybe try that?

6. Greetings!

Greetings! Valued Member

Greetings PointyShinyBurn, Chadderz, Latikos, and Deadpool,

Thank you very much for your responses.

Latikos, you mentioned that your headgear piece worked to protect your ears, even though overall you did not like wearing it for other reasons. If I can ask you, please, what was the brand/model of your headgear you were using?

Deadpool, you also mentioned, “Wear good headgear.” Do you have a brand/model that you would recommend to me? You also mentioned, which is a surprise to me, “PS there’s less CF ear in gi than nogi, maybe try that?” I would have thought the opposite, that, for instance, if anything, the rubbing from the rough gi would contribute more to cauliflower ear, as opposed to rubbing your ear up against the, what I should think be relatively or comparably, softer human flesh. Perhaps not?

Thank you very much, everyone! Indeed, MAP is the place. “Y’all top of the food chain!"

Greetings!

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

There less stand up / sit up guard fighting for head position in gi, less guiloteens in gi, and less crossfaces in general and less fighting out of cross faces in gi.

I've never had to wear it myself, but ive heard good things about, brute, adidas, and clinchgear.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  8. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Sure, but I doubt it's of an help, sorry.

To be honest: I got one of the cheapest I could find (little over 15€, I think) that could be delivered right away :eek:
    It's a very simple one from a German homepage about MA-gear and similar; name of the manufacturerer is same as the homepage: "Budoten", but again, I doubt it's of use for you, sorry.