Pretend there is a cool name here - log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Latikos, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Tuesday, 24.01.17
    JJJC

JJ-Training

I ended up pinned on the ground with a knee on my head, a finger locked to no end, followed by a lock of more fingers and going for a walk in pain.
    All that was after I got punched a few times and my hair being torn.
    Before we even began :D
    So... you might have guessed: Sensei was back. He was underemployed, in high spirits and we had a lot of fun :)
    He also missed hurting me ;)

After warm-up (some running; running with uppercuts -we were supposed to do something else before, might have been punches, but I was talking to my Judo teacher while running :eek: ; some games of catch :D ; jab & punch; some more uppercuts; same on a partner; ... it was fun actually!) we continued to...

...Ukemi, which was combined with jabs or Oi-Zuki, which was also fun. I like doing it like that.
    (My most favorite way of doing Ukemi is coming forward, and the teacher yells at you what to do and you have to do it real fast. We should do that again soon :thinking: )

After that it was back to basics with evading, blocks and throws.
    We were training a bit for the next grading but since my partner was a yellow-belt who couldn’t show up for a while (university stuff) we pretty much started the basics of the basics, so she finds back in.
    I really need to advance in my own program, but I didn’t mind the slightest to repeat things with her.
    After all, I will profit from it as well and she would advance too.
    We also had a lot of fun doing so. We trained properly and all, but had some laughs doing so :)

We did the evading for a few minutes, but not really too long.

With the blocks I just added my own to the ones she had to learn, so we worked back and forth, and she also saw what will come later.
    We did Age-Uke, Soto-Uke, Gedan-Barai (those were the ones she had to know either), Juji-Uke and Uchi-Uke.
    Certainly still needs some work to look good and all, but I’m sure I’ll get there. After all, I do all of them at times during Karate as well.

We skipped the strikes and kicks for today (I need to work on those as well, but she couldn’t stand any more Kihon-like stuff :D ), and went straight to the throws; we only get to do O-Soto-Gari, De-Ashi-Barai, O-Goshi and Ippon-Seoi-Nage (I also need to know and be able do to Ko-Soto-Gake and Harai-Goshi).
    I do know the throws, I know how to do them – I just can’t do them properly :eek:
    I think I will never be satisfied the slightest, if it keeps being like that.

The end was some theory; yes, we do that at times.
    I didn’t remember the translation for “Kung Fu” but aside from that I was the nerd as I usually am, because I like reading about MAs in my free time and love learning new things, no matter how small related to it :eek: :)

Driving back was cool too.
    My Sensei takes me half the way in the car, which always is a chance to learn a lot and/ or have fun.
    Or having a finger nearly broken ;)

We talked a bit (some serious talk actually), had some fun – and I also learned, that I will have the opportunity to go to at least two more seminars this year, because my teacher will be going.
    Plus: He will also probably give another one himself ; I talked to somebody on Wednesday and that someone said, he will ask him.
    I told him about it (was allowed too! Even encouraged to do so), and he would like to do that :)
    I already asked, if I could tag along and could drive with him, and the answer an “Of course” – yay! ^^

So, yeah, it was fun training and the time before and after was great too.
    Especially one of the things my teacher said to me to assure me, that nothing bad will happen to due my medical appointment some days go :)

2. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Wednesday, 25.01.17
    PSV

Judo-Training

I remembered why I stopped going to Judo and attended ATK more often – I don’t think there is any training that leaves me as frustrated as Judo does.
    I mean – I like it, don’t get wrong. But, Gosh, it has me frustrated all the time!
    Nothing seems to be working at all, once there is something new I don’t get it done (well, not correct at least), I screw up the easiest things – and that is with a cooperative partner!

First thing is always a game to get a little warmed-up. Since I injured my foot twice it’s not my favorite game, but it can still be fun.

After that the teacher continued some real calm training in comparison actually: Entering (I’m missing the proper word here, sorry) a throw forward (I chose Ippon-Seoi-Nage), 10x right, 10x left; same with a backward throw (O-Soto-Gari and O-Soto-Otoshi were forbidden, so I chose Ko-Soto-Gari, which I did dreadful).
    After that it was the same but with actual throwing.
    For the forward throw I chose O-Goshi this time, the backward throw would have been O-Uchi-Gake.
    “Would have been” because I didn’t get to throw all of them: After the first 9 throws forward, right, my partner wasn’t comfortable with being thrown anymore, because he has a hurt knee. So it made sense and of course I didn’t actually threw him again, but only entered the throw, breaking his balance and in case of the forward throw I ... “loaded him” (?) up.

Next we did blocking throws, something I haven’t learned so far (yeah, yeah, I’m sure many think that’s wrong, but I’m pretty sure, that I just wasn’t there).
    So he showed it first against a throw forward, and we had to do it as well – obviously ;)
    We were supposed to do it ten times left, ten times right, but we did it more often.
    And I, of course, did it wrong.
    Didn’t even look like something where you could do something wrong, but I managed, of course.

Block against a backwards throw next, and I guess I did that a little less bad – at least I didn’t get corrections.

Evading throws forward was next – I’m sure I did something wrong, because it was more like blocking again (according to my partner I moved a tad too early).

We skipped counters today, because the other things took too much time and went straight to randori.
    Two rounds on the ground and two standing.
    The ground was fun, even though I got destroyed, the stand-up... well, it was as fun as it can be, when you blow :D
    The first stand-up was nothing special, during the second I threw my partner once – I’m still convinced, that he did that to be nice.
    He told me, that when the partner manages a good entree the partner “plays along” and allows the throw, since it’s not a tournament.
    I even agree.
    But I’m also sure that my entree was a lot of thing, but “good” wasn’t one of them.

A little cool-down in the end, and that was Judo.

JSC
    Free Training

Next I drove to the dojo.
    Someone from the ATK-class agreed to help me with my throws and such.
    “Helping” here means being my dummy, while I try to improve my throws.

I tried working on O-Goshi, Seoi-Nage, De-Ashi-Barai, Ko-Soto-Gake and Harai-Goshi (that one shouldn’t count though, since I only learned that I have to see it a few more times and have to work so much on it, that there is no way, I can do it already).
    Not sure how long we did that, I’d say around 30-40 minutes.
    I was really grateful for my partner being so patient.
    I’m still not satisfied the slightest, but I think they at least got a little better compared to some weeks ago.
    Not good, unfortunately, but at least (maybe) better.

3. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Thursday, 26.01.17
    JSC

Kids-SD

Oh, the fun... :D

I thought I made a BIG mistake with some paperwork on Monday and felt horrible because of it, but apparently everything was correct. So that was good.

The training itself was full!
    16 kids. Plus two that didn’t dare to get on the mats most of the time :D
    Our precursor for Ukemi was hell – for me.
    12 of those 16 kids were under my supervision: Six of them rather new; two, who couldn’t have cared less; three that were disturbing class by being goofy; and the last one was talking to one of the new ones...

The new kids actually did well. The mother of one of the boys told me, how he was practicing rolling forward at home all the time :)

Some of the kids will probably get enrolled, since the parents asked already about it.

Anyway: Since there were new kids and I had to pay attention they don’t hurt themselves I paid more attention to those and mostly only told the others what to do and couldn’t check on them all the time.
    The head coach was caring for the four kids, only once or twice coming over to rebuke the troublemakers.
    I was so glad when we were done!

Afterwards we made the parcour again we did once already, because one of the kids asked for it and they seem to enjoy it.
    I need to improve it somehow though, so that the kids don’t have to wait too long in between. Not entirely sure, what to add or change there yet.

A little tug-game in the end, and that was that.

I actually think we really do better with that playful way and that the kids are more enjoying it like this.
    It’s not real MA-training, admittedly, but we use the mechanics in a playful way and for that age I find it fitting.

Jitsu-Kids

As usual I could only stay for half the class; I still hope to find a work around there, so I can stay the entire class and make it to my other JJ-class!
    It was double dumb, because the other assistant coach wouldn’t show up, without mentioning that first.

I went right after warm-up and Ukemi and during warm-up I was mostly off the mats for talks to parents (in case there are questions or anything; I find it important, that at least one person is accessible in case parents want something. The head coach doesn’t do that, so I do it. Better then no one, I guess :eek: :D ).

I really don’t like when the coach lets kids doing Ukemi from a standing position, when they can’t do good enough from their knees, but I’m not in a position to say something.

So not much, that can be said here.

JJJC

JJ-Training

I came late.
    I’m never late to this class.
    But since a mother enrolled one of her kids at the other club and asked me, if I have time for it, so I did it today.
    I didn’t want to say “no” and I still would have made it nearly at time, if the train wouldn’t have started the moment I reached its door.
    That was annoying.

Since I was fifteen minutes late, I first asked, if was allowed to join anyway. I got an “of course” in a tone that showed that there are stupid questions after all and was told to hurry.
    I was early enough for circuit training (still hate it, but at least here we don’t have much tools, we could use), only missing two stations *at least somethong good came out of being late ;) ).
    And apparently Sensei was in good mood again, because he managed to be close to me a lot – because otherwise he couldn’t have had me pestering all the time ;)
    He can act like a personal tormenter :D
    He might sound like an ass, but he's great really :)

Ukemi as usual.
    I was so concentrated on not touching the ground with my knee during rolling backwards, that I forgot my arms :eek:
    But at least my sideways roll was recognizable as such, which couldn’t be said about all of the others.
    Finally training a lot did something for me ;)

Afterwards it were two free techniques we were showed (trying to grasp a lapel and something when being clutched at the wrist) , followed by a bit of grading stuff again.

And again I got lucky: This time my partner was a yellow-belt who wasn’t there for months (this time due to an injury) yet again :D
    So basics again it was, this time strikes (Oi-Zuki, Gyaku-Zuki, Tate-Zuki, Morote-Zuki, Shuto-Uchi and Haito-Uchi).
    If it stays like that, that I get to train with our people, that couldn’t come for months and we end up doing Kihon-like things, it will start feeling like another Karate-class :D

But that’s what you get, when you don’t do much Kihon, which really isn’t the main focus at our club :eek:
    But I’m not complaining, I’m actually glad, we don’t do it that often. And when we do, it’s often during warm-up, so at times it’s even fun ;)

After we did those so long, that we both got frustrated ;) we changed to locks: Juji-Gatame, Ude-Garami, a shoulder lock in prone position(? Dictionary says that’s the word. When the partner lies on his stomach), Rio-Hiza-Gatame, Hara-Gatame and Kote-Gaeshi.

So, yeah, we didn’t do many different things but what we did we at least did for quite a while, so there’s a chance we might get better after all :eek: :D

4. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Friday, 27.01.17
    JSC

Woot woot – failure day – woot woot

Karate-Kids

That was a very interesting class – for me – this time.

First thing was a lesson in “How to tie your belt”; they were shown two ways to do so and I bet most of them will have forgotten it already ;)

The coach divided class into the new(er) ones (five) and the more advanced ones (three), starting right after warm-up, which was my job to do today.

Nearly directly afterwards, during Ukemi, he divided the class and gave me the responsibility over the beginners – all on my own!
    That amount of trust was quite cool, to be honest.

So I went through basics Ukemi with kids and they really tried. One boy in particular still has some troubles, especially backwards rolling or sideways falling, but with time and his diligence I’m sure he will get there sooner or later.
    A new boy, who was there for the second time, did surprisingly well.

Next I was told to do some Kihon with them, the things they have to show for their first grading, so we have a good starting point.
    So we did Oi-Zuki, Mae-Geri and Zenkutsu-Dachi.
    To my surprise most of the time Mae-Geri actually looked a bit the way it was supposed to and not like a soccer kick.

After doing that for a while is was striking and kicking against pads.
    They sure had fun doing the kicks, because they were explained to kiai – from all the kids the newest boy did that best from the beginner kids, which was interesting.

We ended class with a little game: The coach and I went into turtle position and the kids had to try to turn us on our backs; the three older and advanced kids tried on him and I had the five beginners.
    It was funny actually: Since they didn’t know how to do that yet (it was supposed to just be fun, no technique training) they tried really hard and fought like lions – but to no avail.
    I think I was half naked in the end, because Uwagi and T-Shirt were everywhere but where they were supposed to be :D
    But the kids had fun – which was the goal – and I like that they don’t have any fears of contacts.
    That’s why I love training kids!
    They’re so incredibly natural and not “spoiled with a dirty mind” or afraid of contact. And honest.

ATK

A little warm-up game where I nearly injured my wrist; that’s why I don’t like playing with them – some of them get to aggressive and use too much strength without knowing when it’s okay; and I'm really not squeamish at all.
    I got an elbow to my hand which stroke right through the wrist.
    I left the mats for some minutes and cooled the wrist, and admittedly nothing has happened after all, but it still takes the fun out of it anyway, when some people just throw around with their elbows.

Anyway, I came back during the last minutes of Ukemi – and should have stayed outside a while longer.
    I managed to dodge the first stunt (one person was in turtle and you were supposed to make handtstand next to him, “fall over” the turtle and do a roll.
    I can’t stand on my hands).
    I also can’t to a cartwheel but the coach insisted, that I do the next anyway (one still in turtle, now you were supposed to cartwheel over him). He was rather consistent, so I was afraid to stay with my “No” even though some others were allowed not to try.
    But I know, that he expects more from me, so I guess I have to be thankful for that :thinking:
    I tried and because I'm so awesome combined it with a sideway fall.
    Well... either becasue I'm awesome or just to dumb not to fall ;) :eek:

The next was repetition of what they did on Wednesday.
    I was doing Judo then, so I didn’t knew the techniques and it looked just like this.
    I pretty much did everything wrong, that could be done wrong.
    But it also showed me, that it probably was the right decision to keep Judo – I made a lot of mistakes, admittedly, in my three or four tries, but I also saw that it’s not really difficult and I should be able to get there – whereas Judo needs wayyyyyy more work with basic stuff alone!
    So even though Judo has me frustrated, I think it’s the better choice if I want to progress as a whole.

The end was a bit randori on the ground.
    My partner was a young and light girl that comes for some months now, but knows even less what to do on the ground than I do; plus weighing less, so it wasn’t the biggest challenge (weight-wise alone) so I let her play a bit after I had her twice in hold (I was just to heavy for her, so it wasn't an achievement to get there), so that she got an idea how to turn me around for example.

Karate

I start considering if you can die on an overdose Kihon ;)
    Not only keep I doing that during JJ at the JJJC during the last weeks and today with the Karate-Kids – we also did it the entire Karate-class today.
    We went through the techniques for the firsts grading and later took the first look at “my” greenbelt techniques (apparently it’s time I start training for the next belt-test. Seems logical, the last Karate-grading was roughly seven or eight weeks ago lol I’m pretty sure he meant the other beginners more with that, but just kept adding me as well).

I took a Karate-beginner as my partner and was even able to help him a bit: With two or three tips just as well as with staying calm and giving him the time to think.
    We talked about it months ago and Kihon is difficult for him, so I could stay relaxed and therefore help him with that.
    Plus: I totally know that feeling. And also the frustration when you don’t get to rethink a bit :eek:

We did several things: Tate-Empi, Mawashi-Empi, Yoko-Empi, Ushiro-Empi (that was new to me, but doable, which is weird because I usually snap), Shuto-Uchi, Haito-Uchi, Soto-Uke, Uchi-Uke, Juji-Uke and probably some others I forgot to list.

We also did two combinatios (I need to check the right English term; really stupid, because I’m sure I read it already) in the end, because I will need those in my next grading: Uchi-Ude-Uke migi, Mawashi-Geri Chudan, Yoko-Geri Gedan against Oi-Zuki-Jodan and Uchi-Ude-Uke hidari, Mawashi-Empi-Jodan, O-Soto-Gari against the same attack.

Especially the combinations aren’t set in stone but only were examples for what is possible; I have to chose some free combinations, so I can play there a while, when it’s time.

Kickboxing

Here came the total failure.

Psycho-Gen made its way through: People I didn’t know plus cirquit-training with tools made me give up.
    I’m not at my best psyche right now anyway, so that was a bit too much for me at the moment.

After the first three or four rounds the coach got me on the mats by telling me to stretch, so I did at least that. And running between the rounds.
    My groin still feels weird and I’d really love to know what might be wrong with it.

Anyway, after that it was a little more stretching, because my partner hasn’t had stretched yet and I didn’t want to stand dumb at his side.
    Then we went through part of his grading-techniques: Green belt stuff today, Monday we go to the bluebelt.
    For someone experienced it’s not really a difficult program: Today he did some hooks, punches, jabs, crescent kicks, sidekicks, hookkicks, axekicks, ... in different combinations.
    Four SD-techniques in addition.
    So really nothing major; condition might be the worst of it in the end.

5. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Saturday, 28.01.17 & Sunday, 29.01.17

Nothing.
    Bored to death.

Monday, 30.01.17
    JSC

Kids-SD

Another new boy, but one or two other didn’t come; one more boy will get enrolled though. Nice.
    Main coach asked me again, what we should do, because she doesn’t has material... Some day I will start yelling, that she should get some.
    Seriously, the same every single time.
    It's not that the club gave me some material, I looked for it!
    I searched the net, she could do the same. I even told her how to find the cool video!

Anyway, most was okay.
    A bit unruly, but I think that’s part of the age, so I don’t really mind.
    The new boy was at times a bit difficult, because he would run off the mats to his Mom, but that got a bit better, when we finally closed the door.

What really had me annoyed today: Two boys were rumbling and the main coach told them, that when she has to say something again, they would get sent off the mats.
    I looked at them, telling them that I’d do the same, and that they know that to be true.
    Later on I saw one boy kick the other in the rips on the ground and did as I said – I sent him off (he’s also the grandson of the main coach) – so the coach came to me, telling me that the other boy should have been sent off as well, because after all he hit her grandson on the back earlier – there I have to admit, I lost a bit of my patience, and told her that in that case, she should have said something (yeah, it was in an annoyed tone, I admit that. It’s not my fault that she only talks and doesn’t do anything and it also has me annoyed, that I always have to be the bad one due to that)!
    She claimed that she has but whether she did or not, obviously she didn’t walk the talk.
    The boy later came to me and apologized, so I even left him back in during the end game; not sure whether or not that was the right thing to do to be honest, but he is the one kids that knows, that I also let him sit on the bench the whole time, so I risked it.

Kids seem to had fun, so I think it’s working out after all.

Jitsu-Kids

I actually missed half of the class, because the chairman (still not sure if I use the correct term here, sorry) came in and we had to talk.
    I have had my regular self-doubt weekend and pestered him question, so in return he questioned me today, about the “why”.
    So I told him, that part of it was the fact, that I don’t want to teach the kids faulty techniques; I explained I don’t want to talk the main coach down or anything, but that she shows the things with mistakes in them.
    He assured me, that the board still stands fully behind me (which I really appreciate!) and that I should tell her – which I still think is out of my place but tried anyway.
    He added that I do a real good job as a trainer (which I appreciate as well), but I still don’t know what to do.

To make things worse: The other assistant starts telling wrong things as well.
    He made a point, that the kids have to totally straighten the arm, when doing an Oi-Zuki/ Jab (even agains a pad), which sure as hell is something I have been warned of from the beginning, because of the risk for elbow and shoulder.
    He also told them a wrong move with their arm when doing Kihon: To take back both fists to the hip between each Zuki, which is something we don’t do.
    The striking hand stays in front, the other fist gets to the hip – but not both.

Anyway... We did a choke with the kids later (after warm-up, Ukemi and Kihon), Juji-Jime.
    Where, by the way, an important detail was a bit forgotten, but that could be added easily during the corrections of the kids.

We have two siblings, a boy and a girl, who are doing their stuff well from the beginning; they even went from white straight to yellow, and skipped white-yellow.
    For quite a while now they are talking more then training, which is something I noticed today again and will have a look our for from now on.
    It already annoys me at times, that they start the meditation in the beginning and the end, because we have yellow belts, who have the belt longer. They are almost always there though, so I get why they are allowed.
    I admit though, it mainly annoys me, because they get nosy due to it at times and seem to think it makes them more important; especially the girl.
    Don’t get me wrong, I like those two!
    I just think, they might need to get more in line again a little.

But I digress.
    Most kids managed the choke, and it was quite interesting how most of them made the same mistakes (not going in deep enough and not using the narrow(?) side of the arm).
    The end made a little ball game, mainly because the siblings had listened to what I have said, otherwise it wouldn’t have given a game ;)

My own JJ-Training

During warm-up I was outside a few minutes: Talks with parents (I still think it’s important; today I learned that one of the kids has his "bad and tough boy-phase" and that it’s totally fine with his Mom, if we raise the strictness for him for a while, because he needs it. And, yes, I think that’s important to know and to do, and also yes, the Mom knows it’s not our job to raise the kids ;) , but if it can be helped like that, I don’t mind.) and talk with my own teacher: He wrote a confirmation in my budo-pass, that I was part of the judges during an internal competition.
    So in case I decide to ever do my orange belt in kickboxing, I’m free to go now.

Warm-up, Ukemi next (I finally manage to keep my knee of the ground - in exchange it was difficult to get up. I'm useless), as usual.

Afterwards we did a little stress-drill: One big circle, one person in the middle and this person gets attacked by some sort of gripping the revers.
    What can I say? I suck :D :eek:
    But at least I tried.
    I still think too much.

From there we went to gripping the revers (or choking) on the ground.
    I did those techniques already sometimes, which was good, so I could focus on the important details and not only try to somehow manage – I like that too, but I still hope to at some point be able to do some of it during randori :eek:

Among those techniques were Juji-Gatame (no way around that :D ) and the Omoplata.
    With any luck we will do more of it next Monday as well plus stress-drill on the ground! That would actually be cool, even though I probably will screw that up as well :D

Oh, and I was allowed to be Uke.
    Darn it, I’m such a freak for liking that :eek:

6. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Tuesday, 31.01.17
    JJJC

Pre-Training

My teacher and I met earlier to train a bit for the seminar on Saturday, where he is one of the instructors.
    Of course he already had some ideas what he wants to show, but we worked on the details and made sure, that it is fun as well as good.
    I had lots of fun during that time, honestly. And pain :D

I think he found things to do that really should be fun and we’ll look for more things on Thursday.

Since the seminar is about Ajukate, a hybrid-system, he made sure that the techniques are from at least two arts.
    Mixing (for example) JJ and Aikido, JJ and Judo, ATK and Judo/ JJ and Karate and ATK.
    It has Yoko-Otoshi, Zuki, Juji-Gatame, Soto-Uke, Harai-Goshi, an ATK-transporting technique and some more.

I’m really looking forward to Thursday and the seminar itself :)

Regular Training

Lots of running during warm-up, gymnastics and Ukemi – the usual beginning.
    My condition is bad enough that I could have done with half the running ;)

Afterwards we trained a bit for the upcoming (well, in summer, and only if one is ready then. We spend a little time on it now and later again, in between probably doing free techniques) grading again.
    For me and my partner that meant doing throws most of the time, followed by locks.

I worked on my Harai-Goshi and De-Ashi-Barai and a little Ko-Soto-Gake; I found another throw I’m too dumb for. Yay.
    Harai-Goshi.
    I need to get more secure in it, just to not be afraid to fall down, once I’m only on one leg :|

Between throws the Judo-teacher talked about O-Goshi and Harai-Goshi and when to use what and such, so pretty much some theory behind it – which I liked.
    And I also had a right idea about Harai-Goshi, that chances are, it’s more difficult to block.
    I was happy that he said, I’m right.
    At least in theory I’m not dumb all the time :eek: :D

End made a stress-drill.
    Three attacks we had to react to.
    I screwed up, was annoyed about it and asked twice if we now could switch – stupid idea, which nearly sent me off the mats :eek:
    But I hate it so much to make a fool out of myself, that I made that stupid mistake, despite knowing how he would (rightfully) react.

Oh, yeah, and there was a new person again today.
    I still hate new people, no matter how nice they might be, it’s stress.

I also changed the intake of my medication; taking my tablet at night by now instead of in the morning. It’s a bit experimenting, admittedly, but the tiredness got so bad, it wasn’t fun anymore: Sleeping 10-12 hours, waking up tired as hell, staying awake for one and a half hours and crawling back to bed just was too much.
    I need to see my doctor within the next few days anyway, and will talk to him about it.

7. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Wednesday, 01.02.17
    PSV

Judo-Training

Interesting mixture between “fun” and “frustrating as usual”.

After the warm-up game we did... well more warm-up ;)
    The killer-warm-up, which is way more fun, when you let others do it compared to when you have to it yourself :D : One partner lies on the ground, has to get up, run to the other, entree to a throw, running back, lying on the ground... rinse and repeat.
    Twice for a throw forward and twice for a throw backward.

After that we got a short drinking break and he continued: We had to get together in trios. One partner in the middle of the other two and this one has to run the first, leapfrogging (which I didn’t do. I’m absolutely sure I can’t do it and I’m not keen hurting myself or my partner whilst trying), run to the other, crawl through his legs, back to the first.

I’m pretty sure the rounds were 90 seconds each, but I don’t know.
    I do know though, that I’m surprised to be still alive! My condition really is bad.

Since he noticed that no one would bend his knees when entering the throw during that warm-up, next was a short journey to picking the partner up for the throw – not actually throwing, only picking him up.
    10x right, 10x left.

That I thought to be interesting, since my partner weights... I don’t know, I haven’t asked, but a lot. 30kg more at least.
    I did manage though and it didn’t even felt overly difficult; not sure about actually throwing admittedly.
    I got a few corrections from my teacher as well as my partner (who is actually the assistant trainer, 4th Dan (I admit, I don’t care too much over that), former competitor (which is more impressing), so he knows what he’s talking about.

After that my teacher stood up to his thread, that we would do counter-techniques today.
    First thing I realized (yet again!) that my repertoire is way too small.
    Yeah, sure, I had heard about the throws I used, I did them a few times – but I’m so far away from actually being able to do them properly, it’s not even funny anymore.
    So using them as a counterattack, when I hardly can do them without resistance was... challenging.

I was supposed to do Ko-Soto-Gake against Koshi-Guruma.
    Awesome! After all, my Ko-Soto-Gake is horrible.
    I got something similar to an idea on doing it, and it sort of worked with time, but “good” is something different.
    I keep reminding myself, that I did it for the first time, so I don’t feel utterly useless :eek:
    My partner was satisfied enough and told me I actually did well, but I’m not really happy with my tries.
    Ah well, Rome wasn’t build in one day either. I just need, to remind of that.
    Often.

Strictly speaking we were supposed to do more then one counter, but it was okay that I worked only on the one, because it was new to me (I’m the lowest belt and less experienced in our group, so that’s some sort of puppy-protection, I guess ;) ).

Next thing sort of was a second counterattack: My partner tried Seoi-Nage but for whatever reason lands on the ground in turtle (that was idea: Throw, going in turtle, attack turtle).
    I was shown a very simple and basic choke.
    Both coaches agreed, that it hardly gets trained anymore, because it’s just so simple and not fancy: You grab one collar, and the arm goes against the other side of the neck.

We ended class with Randori.
    Twice standing, twice on the ground.
    I was told to stay with my partner, whereas the others switched partners.

So – I threw a blackbelt today! During Randori!
    Of course he was over 70 years old.
    And kept his eyes closed.
    And let it happen.
    But he said it was done correctly and done in a good way, so he had to fall with the first one. I sort of doubt that, but I appreciate the thought – I know he wouldn’t fall, if the impulse would be wrong.
    First throw were O-Uchi-Gake, second O-Soto-Gari and the last Ippon-Seoi-Nage.
    With the last one he was especially kind, because he could have walked out of that easily :eek:

Between and sort of during Randori as well, he also showed me another attack against turtle, because he saw that I try the same thing often and that this would be fitting technique for that.
    What I try is getting hold of the arm on the far side with both my hands and try to get it towards me, and therefore breaking my partners balance a bit (the description is bad, sorry), so I could turn him around.
    He showed me a hold from this position, which seems to be quite nice.

Afterwards he let me take him in Kesa-Gatame, where he tried to free himself – he didn’t manage, despite trying very hard, and congratulated me, for a very good hold.
    That was cool, to be honest.

Next was Mune-Gatame, but I prefer to pretend that one never happended :D

What was especially nice: After training the assisting coach took a minute to talk to me.
    I was about to go when he came to me.
    He told me, that I was doing very well today; that I somehow showed, that I wanted to do more by going into the techniques more serious and the such.
    He also added that I made lot of progress compared to a year ago.
    I admit, that I don’t the see that in the slightest, but I guess he doesn’t really have reason to lie to me.

JSC
    Free Training

After Judo I drove to the dojo, for roughly 45 more minutes to train.

I worked a bit more on my Seoi-Nage and on the counter from before.
    It’s still not good, but I might be at a point, where it’s at least recognizable, which actually is progress of some sort.

After that I went through few locks (Juji-Gatame, Ude-Garami, Rio-Hiza-Gatame, a shoulder lock, Hara-Gatame and Kote-Gaeshi) and chokes (Juji-Jime, Ushiro-Jime, Okuri-Eri-Jime, Harami-Jime and two more).
    I only went through these once to be honest, as I’m rather sure with them (it’s not about randori, but only showing how they are done properly).

In the end my dummy and I did some ground randori.
    We played mostly, so that we both could try a few things, but it was exhausting non the less.
    Once or twice I was mean and took him in Tate-Shiho-Gatame, without giving to much space, but he got really good.
    That, or I got even worse :D
    We had quite some fun, and I think I might have damaged him.
    Or, well... maybe he told me so.
    He said he never was so tired after training like today :D

We both had fun and I’m grateful that he is so eagerly volunteering to help me out :)

8. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Thursday, 02.02.17
    JSC

Kids-SD

Three new enrolments today; if some day every kid actually shows up, we’re screwed.

Anyway, we started with a game of catch (as usual; don’t kids ever get tired of this game?!) but skipped Ukemi today.
    They were all so full of energy and Ukemi is rather boring for them, so we chose to skip it.

Ever tried to tie a belt of one kid, when three or four or jumping and climbing you? :eek: :D

Instead we let them run, jump, crawl, whatever from one wall to the other and later started the very first step for O-Soto-Gari – literally only the first step for a few minutes.
    It’s probably normal, but it still amazes me, how difficult that alone if for some kids.

After that we did two little tug-games again: At first all we wanted them to do was gripping the Gi and tug the partner pretty much anywhere afterwards we made circles out of belts of which they were supposed to pull each other (I would have let them shove as well, but pricipal thing is the move).

We ended with a ball game, and for once I wasn’t the evil coach who sends kids of the mats, but it was the main coach.
    Finally!

JJ-Kids

I usually leave earlier on Thursdays and today was supposed to be going even sooner (to train for the seminar), but since my Sensei couldn’t make it due to work, I chose to stay with the kids (after all I don’t like the training of the bluebelt anyway, so I don’t feel like missed something).
    I actually had to change back, when I read that, so instead of going earlier, I came later... :rolleyes:

Warm-up, Ukemi, as usual (I wonder when the other two coaches get told that the change we were supposed to make for Ukemi had the goal to make it faster :eek: ) and I took one of the boys to practice a bit backward rolling.
    He makes it hard on himself, because he spreads the the legs when going backwards, so I took a little ball and put it between his ankles.
    It worked a bit, but he also accidentally let the ball loose at times. But he’ll get there :)

After that we repeated Uki-Goshi and Juji-Jime.
    Some did better then others, but I noticed that some kids put there feet where I showed them, instead so weirdly in the middle, which -I admit it- I liked.

I also got reminded that I don’t like doing chokes with kids.
    We have a young boy, with whom I’m a bit concerned if he would tap out or if he makes a game out of it and don’t tap; not out of malice or anything, just because he might think it’s funny.
    So hard to tell.

Because they mainly behaved well again, we let them “play” in the end and did the game with the belts on the ground with them.
    Actually they would need to “fight” more often, I think, but at the moment we use it as bait, when they behaved.
    Not the best way, I think, and one that will have to change at some point.

My own JJ-Training

The actual coach couldn’t make it due to work either, so he told his stand-in to do throws with us.
    Yeah... the stand-in told me later, that with the people that were there, he couldn’t really do throws, because it wouldn’t work for most (I was one of the exceptions, with three others), so instead we mainly worked though four kicks: Mae-Geri, Yoko-Geri, Mawashi-Geri (Chudan and Gedan; sort of Gedan. Nice in a downward movement against the thigh) and Hiza-Geri against pads.

Personally I got bored to death during warm-up, because it was like forty minutes, which I thought a bit too much.
    Plus it was done by a person I don’t get used to like this. I really the guy, because he really is totally nice, but it’s a change in my habits, which I dislike no matter what.

After the kicks we spent a few minutes on two simple throws: O-Soto-Gari and O-Uchi-Gari, both out of a slap to the face.
    So really nothing major.

What had me happy: I don’t know how good or not my technique was (it was good enough to get a nod) but my groin didn’t hurt, which is awesome, because it’s a recurring nightmare :rolleyes:
    Since I pulled the muscle once and kept training (yep, stupid, I know) it comes and goes all now and then.
    With kicks just as well with some throws (which is even worse! It’s throws that need free falling or nearly free falling, and I love those! They are so much fun to fall!)
    Not even an MRI showed anything though, so it’s difficult to do something. I try stretching and want to loosen the muscle by foamrolling it, but to my shame I have to admit that it’s something of the: “I start tomorrow!” things, that start for weeks :(

So, overall it was a rather easy day, admitteldy, that doesn’t leave you too exhausted.

Little sidenote: One of our boys, a five year old, has a special liking for me. I like him too, because he’s just so cute :eek: and the trust kids can give you will never cease to amaze me!
    Never ever!

I had him on my arm after training and at some point he starting bringing his knees up to my chest – nothing wrong with that! Not much that could happen.
    Then he kept crawling up until his legs went over my shoulders; took him a few seconds.
    Now, I’m not the strongest person in the world and while he had the fun of his life I kept thinking: “Don’t break him! Don’t let him fall! Don’t...” – I’m sure you get my drift ;)
    In the end I got him off alright, with him in “flying plane” position and even more fun.
    But I made sure, he doesn’t break easily, by asking him ;)

Did I mention how this trust will never cease to amaze me?!
    Kids are fascinating!

9. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I was being lazy with the log the last few times, so it will be rather quick now.

Friday, 03.02.17

Karate-Kids

It was rather calm, except that one of the boys tries pushing the limits, so in case I will stay on Fridays training, once the regular coach is back again, I will have to show some more borders (she’s due to be back next week, otherwise I would do so either way).

Warm-up, Ukemi as usual, followed by some kicks against the partner and little pad work plus a bit of recapitulation on O-Soto-Gari.

ATK

I skipped the warm-up game, because I’m tired of getting injured (I don’t mind pain and always liked being in the middle of the action, but as of late it gets too rough for my liking; and when people who weight 30 kilos more then you come with elbows flailing, it’s just too injury prone. Pain – no problem, but injuries that keep from proper training – no thanks. The teacher agrees though; he will split the teams in smaller groups, so that you have to move more again).

Generally I only attended in rest-mode.
    I’ve had a cold in the bones and really wanted to attend the two seminars on the weekend, so I only attended the Karate-Kids and ATK, but skipped Karate and Kickboxing that day.

We did some free techniques and a little ground randori in the end, which was fun actually.

10. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Saturday, 04.02.17

A benefit seminar with three instructors and 5 blocks was on that day; one of the instructors being my Sensei, which was kind of fun.

The first one was a TKD-man; some military champion -Volker don’t ask me his last name. More then 2m of height, 80% legs, fast and so flexible that it was scary.
    He casually kicked above the heads of the people, which made him look like 3m and 90% legs :D

That was quite fun, even though it made me realize how much I suck at kicking and the such.
    He made the warm-up, taught some kicks with pad-work (which was cool! And at least I wasn’t the worst of the people :eek: :D ), showed some combinations (of which he made sure to mention, that they were for competitions, where it’s about points, which I thought was great that he mentioned it and was honest about it) and had it followed by some “play-sparring” with no real contact.
    I was sweating like a pig in no time, so I think he did something right! ^^

Next was the first Ajukate-part, with my Sensei as instructor.
    We practiced a bit for it, so I knew what was coming, but to be honest: He is good enough to improvise and as bad as I am as Tori – I’m good enough as Uke to be able to do the right things anyway (as in, when give resistance to show a point or something. I don’t have to pretend that I would fall or that a lock works, because he can throw and set locks. If I were to do something I don’t have to do, he’d kick my butt :) ).

The idea was, to show different solutions from the different systems Ajukate combines, and within those solutions again combine the styles themselves as well.
    For example: A punch to the head would be the attack, so he showed a defence combining Karate and Judo.
    It was fun.
    He threw my like there’s no tomorrow and went quick and sure into the locks.
    So, yeah – I loved it!
    All now and then someone would come over to me, telling me how they feel sorry for me, because my teacher was treating me like he did :D
    But fact is: He knows what he does and can do, he knows how far he can go and what I am able to do – so there never was any risk for me or anything.
    Sure, the locks hurt, but that’s part of the game.

What was interesting: He realized rather soon, that he’d have to split the techniques in several parts, so people were able to do them.
    Wasn’t a problem at all – neither for him or anyone else. I was glad as well, because doing the things proved again to be more difficult compared to just suffer through them :eek: :D
    What I thought interesting about it: I got the idea of the parts rather fast and could connect them quickly enough apparently, because regularly people would come over to me as well, and ask questions about the techniques – something I certainly did not expect to happen!
    I helped where I could and never got a reprimand from my teacher, so I guess it was alright that I did it.

My partner and I were fully into it. We threw each other more often then most of the others (paid dearly for it in the following session :D ) and had fun.
    He hadn’t much to do with throws before, not like Judo-throws, so these were mostly new to him – but he proved to be a good man, and had the idea real quick, so it was fun training with him.
    We actually stayed together most of the time afterwards, even though I bet he could have found better partners.
    I had fun falling Yoko-Otoshi over and over again, and even enjoyed throwing it :D

Next session was the first ATK-part.
    That was a bit boring actually, because he showed some Kyusho stuff; I’m not a big fan of them, even though he had some, that actually did hurt (to lots I don’t react).
    My partner and I were going slowly now: We didn’t throw, when we didn’t have to and practiced more the entrances to some things – we were devastated from the session before :rolleyes:

Next was Ajukate again.
    Here we had to improvise a bit, because we only had practiced one more combination.
    But again, improvising we can do.

The first one we didn’t plan was a technique I hate, and he knows that :D
    I hate it mostly, because I’m too dumb, to do it properly.
    It also had me scared once, because another student nearly broke my elbow with it: The attack is with a stick (right-handed) to the right side of the head.
    What he would do: Evading with Tai-Sabaki, picking up the arm and movement, and jump into a Waki-Gatame, bringing me to the ground with a splash, when he goes into the lock.

Two things actually had me laugh during the time, when he showed what to do: The “ugh”s and “ah”s from the other students, once I hit the floor (that was the technique I got most pity for, I think :D ) and once when my teacher actually tricked me: He made hit him with the stick several times, to only show how to evade.
    So he was like: “Hit properly, not that slow!”, and so I did – he just evaded the throw and let it go into emptiness.
    Until the “last” time: I hit at him with quiet some speed and *bamm* he jumped into the technique! I hit the floor so fast I didn’t even had time to realize what he was doing :D
    Again: Might sound mean, but he knows what he does.
    There was hardly any pain at all, let alone anything that would be a bother; sure, the lock hurt a second until I tapped but that was that – aside from that it was fun even.
    After he send everyone to try the technique we grinned at each other like two dorks and I called him a name you maybe shouldn’t call people ;)

A few minutes later he would show the technique to a pair again, to explain something and called me over so they both could see.
    At some point I gave more resistance than usual and he played along, grabbed my hair and went into another lock... the people looked at us, asking: “But you do like each other, yes?” with a grin.
    We laughed, he helped me up and confirmed it, saying I was his favourite student. I doubt that’s true, but it had me smile like an idiot anyway :eek:

What I also liked: I screwed up the first attack with the stick, because I stood too close and would have had hit him with my fist.
    The second I realized that I broke up the attack, apologized and wanted to start again – he made sure, everyone knew, what has been wrong, by asking in the group if they knew, why I had broken up.
    So he would explain what has happened and not just ignore it, and I like that he would make sure, that people learn out of mistakes like that, because there were more then enough who didn’t seem to realize, why I had stopped.

Next improvised technique was a knife defence on the ground.
    I know it mainly, because he did it in his own last grading as well, but we did it once during training too (it also will be part in my own next grading, whenever that will be).
    Since I love everything that’s on the ground, I managed to remember most of it rather well (having felt it dozens of times probably helped as well though ;) ).

What had me surprised again: People were coming to me as well again, to ask questions.
    I mentioned it before and I will probably do it again, but if will never seize to amaze me!
    It was also nice, that I could actually help them most of the time :)

During the last two techniques my partner and I had a third guy in the team, so somehow it even happened that I switched between two pairs: My old partner and the new one, and a lad I met before and his partner.
    Being usually the one, no one wants to train with, that was a weird experience.

Anyway, I had the time of my life, when I was being allowed to be his Uke and enjoyed every minute of it!
    It might sound dumb and arrogant, but: I also like that he trusts me enough, not to screw up, but being able to do it!

Next and last session was ATK again.
    This time it was actually more fun compared to his first one: He nearly only did some free ATK techniques, and nothing that was in the grading program (that is very strict for ATK, which can be seen as both good and bad. My guess is, it’s somewhere in the middle.)

Once the instructor asked what would happen, when you give someone a punch under the nose.
    One kid answered, that the nasal bone would go straight to the brain; the instructor nodded his head, waited a second and went: “No! That’s a myth.”
    I thought that was a good thing, because it’s such an urban legend, that it’s hard to kill.

In the end everyone got a little diploma that confirmed that you attended.
    And it’s fun over and over again, when people see my last name and have no idea how to pronounce it.
    What makes it so funny: It’s only four letters and you speak it exactly like it’s written :D

Anyway, over all I had so much fun during the seminar that I was more then glad, that I was part of it!
    It also made it possible, that I will attend another seminar in March, because a teacher goes there (well, gives it), and he would take me with him; I only know him (he’s a former student of my Sensei and there still good friends) but don’t learn at his club, so I really appreciate that!

11. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Sunday, 05.02.17

Another seminar, five hours today.
    It had thee instructors as well: ATK (I knew him; he was one of the instructors that took my teachers grading for 5th Dan. And one of the three that really lauded my work as Uke :eek: ), an JJ-man (I was at another seminar with a few years back) and a Dju-Su person (never heard of him; doesn’t mean anything, of course).

Overall it was an okay seminar.

I enjoyed the ATK most actually.
    The instructor did rather basic things (allowed me to be a Uke a few times, which was real cool!) but he did with so much sense in it, that it was just fun.
    He chose choke defences, standing, from all four directions and showed a specific technique for all of them, which he wanted to use then all them time.
    Towards the end he also showed, how you could switch the techniques and how to do it with a little tweak, but explained that the idea would be automatizing those techniques (not during a single seminar, obviously, but during regular training) and that later you could vary it.
    He also showed that how to improvise with enough experience, when he started one of these techniques – I would block it – and he jumped into Yoko-Otoshi and made me fly (that was FUN!).

But I might be biased here as well, because I really like him! A very nice and open person, even though the first 30 me for the first time, he totally pulled my leg and had me scared :D

The Dju-Su (I think it was called that) was okay and sort of fun, but I doubt you could apply everything of it in a real situation (he lost me totally for one technique, where he would block a hook with a lightly lifted right arm), but I don’t only do it for that but also the fun, and therefore it was okay nonetheless.

The JJ-man... I think he knows a lot.
    But one thing had me a little annoyed just like the last time: He would see some mistakes or someone struggling with the shown technique but not necessarily correct it or come helping.
    Personally I find that disappointing, but it might be due to the fact that he also knows, that during a single seminar not everyone will be able to do everything.
    I would have liked some corrections though – but those he gave mostly to the higher graded people, that were in “our middle” group.
    He actually showed two things I liked, but my partner and I didn’t manage them completely and the instructor only looked and kept going.
    Again: Maybe it’s a seminar thing for him, I don’t know.

I’m also not a fan of separating by grading, but can understand why some do that (thought it weird this time though, because every group seemed to have done the same).
    I train a lot and have the biggest luck, that my instructors are actually good (other instructors admit to that) but I’m only orange (and in all honesty I’m not sure at all, I should be more, so that’s fine by me), but the second to last seminar had separated for an hour by gradings, and we lower belts did evading – something I do at least(!) once a week, and that’s -more importantly- part of nearly everything we do: If we wouldn’t evade we would get hit, because we learn to hit the target and not beside it.
    So I stood there, practicing evading -trying to, more precisely- with a man, who seemed as if he never did it (which is not the problem! We’re there to learn after all!) but also would hit next to my head and not to my head (even after I told him; that was a bit daft. In the end I mainly attacked, because it made more sense like that).
    But okay, first world problems.
    And basics are important; it’s just a bit of a shame, when you do them too long on seminars, when it’s something you do during regular training a lot.

12. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Monday, 06.02.17 – Sunday, 12.02.17

I had a deal with my immune system and my body, that if they make it possible for me to attend the seminars, I might give them a break afterwards.

I had half a cold on Sunday already, and my Doc told me on Monday better to take a week off (I was there for another reason; even I don’t go and see my Doc right away for coughing and a running nose ;) ), so I stood to my promise and stayed at home.

And it was actually nice – aside from the sniffles, the coughing, the tons of sleep I needed, the little throat ache, ... – so, obviously it was the right decision to do so :eek:

Monday, 13.02.17

SD-Kids

My granny was in dying condition, so I was allowed to take my phone with on the mats today, which some kids reacted to, when it rang a few times – allegedly they never hear anything, but those little sounds they made out right away :rolleyes: little bastards ;)

Anyway - hardly on the mats and I had a girl clinging to me, asking where I was last week lol

Little warm-up, too much Ukemi (the coach makes it too long and the kids get bored and therefore stop doing it and start talking; and I can even understand it. It’s just too much/ long).

Next was some pad work: Mae-Geri.
    Little kids kicking against shields, going “hiss” (breathing-technique; we teach them “hiss” so they know what to do) with every kick can actually be real cute :D
    And most of them did rather well too!
    Sure, I could have corrected a lot, but for the experience level it was okay.

Then we let them do some randori at the ground.
    They really seem to enjoy it. It’s far away from being “real” of course, but they have fun, jostle a bit, learn the body contact (not a single one cared about it; that’s what I love about kids).
    Since the number was uneven I fought two of the kids: A little three year old girl (who allowed someone for the very first time to remove her earrings and told everyone about it :D ) and a six year old boy.
    Funny, how much fun kids have, when they are allowed to fight the teacher.
    Then again – I still am just the same :D

JJ-Kids

16 kids. 16! Not sure about other places, but here that’s a lot.
    And it wasn’t even every kids there we have. Without thinking I know two more, with a little thinking I’d probably remember one or two more.
    Warm-up, Ukemi as usual.

Then some Waki-Gatame.
    Half the kids went, when they were being Uke: “That doesn’t work!” – but went tapping real fast, when you helped Tori move a bit. That was fun :rolleyes:
    :D

After the coach showed them the technique I added something when the kids starting doing it and asked me a question.
    I hate it, when they get shown to shock the partner and then grab a hand (or whatever) but don’t hold to it before; everyone would just let go and not wait.
    So I had them do the technique on me and I would just let go and make a step back – they remembered it surprisingly well like that.

My own JJ-Training

Today was fun.
    After warm-up we went right evading and from there to some Sutemi-Waza.

He showed them all with entrances from a SD-perspective and from a competition perspective, which I liked.
    I’d never stood a chance, which is fine, but at some point I’d like to try a JJ-competition. I’d get skinned alive, but the sensation should be interesting.

First was Tani-Otoshi.
    I’m rather familiar with that, since I did it in every course at some point and some seminars as well.
    I’m a lot of things but not great with it, but I can do it during technique-Training and I can name it, when I see it done.

Next (and from here on I was allowed to be Uke, which helps me learn better then just looking) was a variant of Yoko-Otoshi (I think. I have to ask for the name).
    I enjoyed throwing that and also tried a couple of different follow-ups (nothing major: Once with atemi, once going into Tate-Shiho-Gatame).

After that we did Kani-Basami.
    I admit, I have biggest respect for that throw!
    But we did it really beginner friendly, starting lying down on the ground.
    The teacher jumped me a few times with it, but that was okay, because he can do it and I just stood still, my legs parallel to each other.
    Doing it this way might lack some of the fun, but I was glad anyway: You get the idea, a bit of a feeling for it – and don’t risk your crucial ligaments or ankle.

Next again was the “swine roll”; I don’t know if it has another name, but I think it’s from Sambo and might not have a Japanese name.
    You grab into the knee pit and behind the foot, and roll in between the legs. Done fast and with a tight grip – ouch crucial ligaments.
    I think we were shown an ending with a heel hook, but to be sure I need to look closer at heel hook and make sure not confuse the terms.

The last one was a close relative to the swine roll: Hand behind foot as well and pushing with the shoulder against the leg.

I got the great pleasure to repeat all throws with our teacher towards the end because we were an uneven number and I was staying and waiting (before we were a group with three, because he had to look, but when it only came to repeating the throws I was allowed to work with him); that was cool because it made him think of something else to add for the finish and he showed it on me.
    I like learning like that: Feeling the techniques makes it easier for me to understand them and connect the principles :)

We actually wanted to train for his grading afterwards, but he was surprised that I even was there and told me, we’d better do it tomorrow.
    I wouldn’t have minded at all, but he had to go not long later anyway.

13. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Tuesday, 14.02.17

Since my Sensei is away due to work this week, I went to the other dojo and did

Karate

We did a little warm-up game followed by the actual warm-up, which had a little Ukemi incorporated.
    Sure managed to had me sweating quite fast, but I blame it to my rest-cold ;)
    I also might have re-broken the formerly broken toe of one of my teachers :(
    It wasn’t my fault at all – he accidentally kicked against my heel – but I still feel a bit bad.

My ATK-teacher was there as well, because he needed some Karate-stuff for his next grading (he seldom comes to Karate, but at times he stays on Fridays. He’s an orange belt in Karate, just like me, and doesn’t mind wearing the correct belt, so I stood right next to him in line today, which was still a bit weird :D ) and at first it looked, like I was to practice those with him.
    But I didn’t.
    The teacher showed him the first technique with me but that was that.

Afterwards I got send to a more experienced orange-belt who showed a newbie Kihon: Oi-Zuki.
    And I was to go there as well.
    After a while there was a second newbie, so we both had one student to show some basics (Zenkutsu-Dachi, Oi-Zuki, Gyaku-Zuki and Mae Geri)
    The first three were strictly Kihon, but to get a bit warm again (I was sweating like a pig and certainly didn’t felt cooled down :D ), we did the kick against a kicking shield.

That was rather funny: My partner was scared to kick even a little hard, so I told him that it would be okay. At worst I’d fall over and that’s that; wouldn’t be the first time.
    The teacher heard me telling them and came over, agreeing. “Right, look.” And wham, Mae-Geri, I tumbled over but just rolled and got up (just like the first time, when it happened :D My Sensei sure was a great teacher and very right to force me through Ukemi over and over and over and... :D).
    My partner still was careful, but at least saw, that I wouldn’t break :D

After that it was Hiza-Geri against the shield and he would, again, be very careful.
    This time the teacher came over sooner and showed him how he could work with way more force and that I’d be able to take it – it always has me laugh, when he does that, I admit it :eek:
    And it worked better this time: My partner wouldn’t go full force, but at least you could feel, that he did something :)
    When it was my turn I nearly undressed him a bit; T-shirts aren’t the best, when being grabbed at the shoulders :eek:

Last against the shield was Mawashi-Empi.
    Here my partner dared to go a bit harder, but the coach showed anyway, that he could hit the pad harder lol
    What I learned: I need to practice more elbow strikes :rolleyes:

Oh, right, before that we did some Kihon.
    I totally screwed up when the people stood in Kiba-Dachi but were facing different directions.
    Being psycho enough it gave me an overload, I didn’t know what was right and couldn’t do it therefore.
    I hate it when that happens
    :(

The end made three Kata.
    Not a big fan of Kata, but I get more comfortable with them at least; who knows, maybe I will even sort of like them at some point.
    First was a breathing Kata, second a standing one where you do different punches and last one was ASD-Shodan.
    I’d prefer to do classical Kata like Heian-series, but that time is over.
    The good thing was: I could have done worse.
    The bad thing was: I could have done better.

Kickboxing

Little warm-up game again, little warm-up and my partner and second JJ-teacher and I went over to one side to practice for his grading.
    We did some stretching and talking and then started.

Mostly I was holding pads, so he could go through various attacks.
    Jumping sidekicks really can press the air out of your lungs, even when you are breathing :eek:

Next was counterattacks, so I had to kick at him – luckily I could do those kicks a bit (still have some I need to work on), but boy, a knee strike with the front leg seems useless.

We only skimmed the SD-stuff.
    It’s not much and it’s not supposed to be too... sophisticated (“it’s kickboxing, not JJ”), so we mostly talked through those, so we could get to next belt-level.

Part of the next level were showing combinations from light contact and semi contact.
    I don’t want to talk down pointfighting, I’m sure it can be fun, but it really seems rather dull; all this... fishing to get a kick in or whatever, just seems weird.
    I was surprised that they are allowed to hit against the back of the head though; never heard of that before.

It was fun practicing for it and saved me for the continuing warm-up the teacher did in the beginning :D

14. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Wednesday, 15.01.17
    JSC

Karate-Kids

Because I still have a little bit of the cold left I went to ATK instead of Judo, because -in theory anyway- you can go a little slow there more easily.
    I usually come quite early and so I did this as well – the Karate-Kids coach whispered to me to please change, so I could help her out; her group is growing fast as well. Great :)
    So I did and came right back on the mats.
    I did with the new kids and the other white belts a lot of Kihon that day. Enough, to have them being annoyed by it. But that was what I was supposed to do :D .
    I was being nice though – I let them do Mawashi-Geri in addition, even though that wouldn’t have been part of the beginner stuff (Oi-Zuki, Age-Uke, Gedan-Barai, Mae-Geri) ;)

Afterwards the coach asked me, if I would mind to help her out regularly with her training as her assistant.
    That was cool!
    At least Fridays I will continue to be there :)
    Wednesday isn’t entirely possible, because I usually go to Judo to become better at throws and co – so for being able to be a better coach for the kids, that is important at the moment, even though I’d love to help out on Wednesdays as well.
    I might think about it for a while, but I think I’ll stick with Judo for the time being.

ATK

Circuit training will never become mine.
    We played a little game and it was followed by the above.
    Horrible.
    I could attend a little a least, but it made my Tics come back.
    That there was a new black belt I have never seen before and who was lurking behind us didn’t help that at all.
    I actually felt like hitting him in the face, when he was walking behind me, because I hate having people behind me like his – especially during something like circuit training.

There was a little more warm-up and after a while I got separated from my partner to work with a new girl. For once probably because of our weight (or more precisely the weight of partner: He weights less then me and was sent to another featherweight girl) and because I could show and explain to her some of the techniques we did.

After that we repeated the program for the orange belt again. My then-partner does ATK longer then I do but still has yellow due to work-commitments, so I let him do the techniques more often than I did them; it’s not as if I didn’t do them at all.
    I was even allowed to be dummy when the techniques were showed the first time, which made it easier for me, to help my partner out; that was nice.

We began with little “fighting”. Nothing major: Few rounds, open handed, slapping the partner.
    It wasn’t about hitting hard or anything, just a little game for speed, condition and to toughen up a little in a playful way.

Like usual the coach decided to speed it up a bit as soon as I had a partner that’s wayyyy better than I am :D (I’m pretty sure it’s actual a coincidence, but it happens so often that I might get paranoid at some point ;) ): We involved kicks as well.
    It still wasn’t about going hard but my partner and I took it up a little with the kicks. We didn’t hurt each other, of course, but since he’s good and more experienced he’s also faster, which made it real fun actually, even though I felt like a kicking shield at times :D

Two rounds later we tried to get the other to the ground.
    I was partnered with the new girl again for this: I let throw me a few times when the entree was good and also threw her a few times (strictly only with foot sweeps, so not to hurt her), being careful of course.
    She didn’t mind at all. Once she even said: “Now throw me.” :D

Again after that, we did some ground randori: I stayed with her and let her try something, showing her a way to turn me from turtle and go into Kesa-Gatame.
    This way I didn’t have the fun and tiring randori I could have gotten otherwise, but it was fun nonetheless.

Free Training

I stayed longer again with my partner and worked a bit on my throws: Repeating O-Goshi, Ippon-Seoi-Nage, De-Ashi-Barai and Harai-Goshi; aside the last one I still have lots of trouble with all on both sides of course.

Afterwards I repeated my chokes and locks again, just so I keep them in mind.

And for the first time I took a closer look at the new techniques for my next grading.
    There is lots of work ahead of me, but at least I think I know what I am supposed to show (for up until green belt my JJ teacher gives us the techniques we’re supposed to show, starting with blue we have to make our own).
    Close to the end when we reached weapon defence my ATK-teacher came out to us and watched a little bit.
    He offered to read what I was supposed to do, which was nice and made things easier for sure.
    Hopefully he will take a look at some point again, when the grading comes closer (whenever that will be), so I have a second opinion on what to work.
    But that’s months away at the very least!

After circa an hour we stopped.
    I repeated the throws a few times yet again after the techniques and that was that.

15. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Thursday, 16.01.17
    JSC

Sensei away for work, so I stayed the entire day at the JSC.

Kids-SD

Some catch playing and running, jumping, crawling as warm up.
    After that I build our little parcours again, switching the slalom running part against a “ladder”: Three belts next to each other, and between those two lanes I made little squares with; some of them they were allowed to jump on, others not.
    I still need to find a way to have more of the kids do something at the same time, but the kids actually seem to enjoy the parcours the way it is - *I* just don’t like, that most of them have to wait in between and therefore have nothing to do.

Next I did one thing I was suggested here as well: I had bought pool noodles and cut them short.
    The kids were to go together with a partner and allowed to just hit each other with it and ideally evade some blows.
    I doubt the did the evading, but I was too glad that the kids had fun and wouldn’t start crying every other second :eek:
    So I think it was a success already: They had contact with the “sticks” and weren’t scared or anything. With time that should be something we can work with!

JJ-Kids

The main coach was sick, so she went after the SD-Kids.
    The other, more experienced, assistant and I therefore did the class. I let him show what to do and would “only” correct what they were showed.

Warm-up, Ukemi, evading – the usual something was first.
    We repeated Waki-Gatame and are pretty sure, that the main coach showed something wrong. We explained why we think it wasn’t the best way and let the kids try it out.

My own JJ-training

Today was more or less fun.
    More actually. My training partner was a bit lazy, to be honest, but we at least did everything what was showed. Just not as often as I would have liked.

Warm-up, Ukemi. I didn’t do all the Ukemi; I really still have problems, when somebody else does certain things. Gee, I’m too dependant to routine :I
    Evading was next.

Then we did some headlock defences among others.
    Part of it were Tani-Otoshi, Yoko-Goruma (haven’t done that so far! Cool!), Sankyo, Rio-Te-Ashi (I think, that’s the name; similar to Sukui-Nage. Both throws I don’t like.), ...

I was also asked by one of the other students, if I would mind to be her training partner. She thinks about doing her blue belt by the end of the year.
    That was so weird, it’s not even funny anymore, because I would have hold every bet, that she doesn’t like me at all!
    She accused me, that I would only want to take the centre stage and be noticed and therefore act weird; she also wouldn’t listen, when I tried to explain, and afterwards she would hardly say “hello” anymore for quite a while.
    Weird.
    Just weird.

After training the teacher (the one I’m Uke for for his kickboxing grading. He’s also my Uke for my JJ-green belt, since the grading is with my Sensei. Just to show that we’re some sort of friends, I guess, so he doesn’t mind showing me something. It’s not about being the teacher’s pet or something :p ) showed me two attacks against a opponent laying on the ground.
    Can’t wait to try that in my Judo-class :)

16. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

No idea, why I keep doing this log, but here we go:

Friday, 17.01.17
    JSC

Karate-Kids

At some point within the last few months something must have happened.
    I drove to the Karate-Kids today and it was the last time without the regular coach (starting next week that part of Uni she’s done with) and the stand-in coach mentioned, that he would come later.
    I should start without him and let the kids play something.

What changed: I didn’t panic. At all.
    I just accepted it.

So I let the play a bit (they were lucky; if a certain boy would have been there, I would have done classical warm-up :rolleyes: ), followed my Ukemi.

Right at the end of Ukemi the stand-in coach came as well, but I actually was prepared if the worst case would have happened, and he would have been even later.
    I had two or three techniques in my mind, I would have done with them, and a little partner kihon.

BUT he was there now.
    He let them do a little more Ukemi and listened to my advice not to do Kihon, since they did that a lot on Wednesday.

So he practiced kicks with them, against shields.
    The kids had fun, I’m sure.

After that we did a little ground randori.
    Since the number was uneven I stayed with a girl. Very diligent, listening to advise and even liking it.
    I wish we had some more of her, especially with “my” JJ-kids :rolleyes:
    I was about to give her some advise, but just at the moment our teacher came (the stand-in was my ATK-teacher) and showed her a simple choke.
    Since she doesn’t mind repeating I let her do that some more times and rather quick the hour was over and we finished for today.

ATK

I came a bit late, because I had to look for something for one of the kids.
    I came right when the game ended and the rest of the warm-up started. Two new girls came late, so somebody else took over the warm-up... I’m a fricking nutcase.
    When he wanted to make count during some exercise, I refused and offered to leave the mats – in that moment the regular coach just started counting, ignoring me. That was new, usually he would have kicked my behind.
    But I was grateful.

Afterwards it got a bit weird.
    The coach went with the two new girls and one whitebelt to on part of the mats, and a second BB was supposed to do the “yel...ora...gr...orange” program with us other five.
    Two other orange belts were to show the techniques, one of my usual partners (the one I practice with Wednesdays aftert class) was supposed to train with another whitebelt and I was... there.
    At first I was supposed to have a look at my partner and the whitebelt, then the other whitebelt was sent over to me: I was supposed to work on the yellow-program with her. If she keeps going like she does, she will be graded at the end of March – good for her :)

So, I trained with her a while.
    She just turned 16 and can’t weight more then maybe 55kg, so everything feels like she is overly cautious :D
    She’s doing well though and despite her looks she’s rather tough. I like her.
    Looks like I will be her partner, when she does her grading too.

After a while she was called over again to our coach and the the new girls, and I stood like a dork again, because I had no idea what to do now xD
    After a minute he called me over as well: I was to have a look at the new girls and the whitebelt-girl and how they do, what they did.
    The others got to fight a bit; especially when they did randori at the ground, it was mean that I couldn’t fight as well :angry: :D

I skipped Karate and Kickboxing today.
    I don’t want to overdo it with my coughing and I wanted to talk to my ATK-teacher.
    I wanted to hear his opinion on whether to move into an apartment I might be able to get.

We also talked about the Karate-Kids earlier, because I told him, that I thought it weird I didn’t panic.
    Apparently I also didn’t look concerned, when he came but rather comfortable.
    When I told him, that I had a plan what to do with them he told me, that I should have done that, because he only took a look at them, and thought they might like to kick.

Some things really are getting so weird, I have no idea what to think about it...

17. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Short-time resurrection. Not sure, if I manage to keep it up a bit this time.

Today, was great.
    I left home being tired as hell and looking "squishy" according to my Mom :D
    Since I didn't feel great either (not sick, just meh), I didn't ask any questions.

I reached the dojo at 3.35 and started to train a bit for my Kickboxing- and Karate grading on Saturday.
    I felt like dying after the first three jabs, but kept going.

An hour later the kids started: First the minies, afterwards the older ones.
    The main coach managed to give them an elbow lock, when they were supposed to do a wrist lock.
    Awesome :rolleyes:

My own training was fun, but my partner and I didn't join the other Jitsu-people, but kept working on Karate and Kickboxing.
    Six more days, and I'm unsure as ever about it :confused:
    ASD Nidan is still crap, Shodan is alright.
    I still can't remember my program, let alone that of my partner.
    Funny enough it goes vice versa as well; at least we have two more days to train...

Again after that, me and my competition partner had a visit of his teacher, to check out the techniques, give tips and help us getting better.
    For two hours.
    I have no idea, how I mentioned to concentrate all the time lol
    BUT - it was interesting and fun.
    It was a lot of talking admittedly: He told us about how the points get given, what would look better, what he would prefer but also what others might prefer, he gave tips on some details... so totally worth it!

But also: Being hoarse for ten days straight now, it also made me consider to take Wednesday a day off, to get some energy back.
    I love going to training, I like all the preparations for grading and competition, I totally love seminars - but they stress me out none the less :oops:
    I always realize that again and again, once the situation isn't on anymore but when I come home and feel totally groggy worn out.

axelb likes this.
  18. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Karate and Kickboxing today.

With the upcoming gradings on Saturday we did what?
    Right, wasted half the sessions on stuff my partner and I don't need :D

Used the other half though and it could be worse, I think.

Aside from the ASD-Nidan I'm rather confident with Karate, if(!) I manage to finally remember my program.
    It's unbelievable, that I actually struggle with something stupid like that!

Kickboxing... Hm... I think the counter could work (again, if I manage to remember them :oops:); I'm not too concerned about the SD-part, since that's not much and quite frankly: If I couldn't improvise them, in worst case scenario, I should give my Jitsu-belt back and go into to corner, shaming; I am concerned about the basic techniques though :( Punching is okay, but I'm a gruesome kicker, especially with the front leg.

I also agreed with my Karate- and Kickboxing coach, that I won't train tomorrow and also won't come to the Dojo on Thursday.
    He would prefer if I were to take Friday off too, but since I'm already panicking that wouldn't work :D
    But being hoarse for 11 days is annoying and I feel really exhausted lately; probably due to being hoarse.

I might go train at the other club on Thursday though; easy and slow, but showing my Sensei, what I'm planning to show at the competition.

19. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Hey Latikos,

Dude you are training loads and you are stressed and rundown. Kudos to you for wanting to soldier through but definitely take a few days rest.

Take your coach's advice and have two days off. Just rest and take some meds. You can go over your syllabus in your head I guess but take it really easy. Go back Friday and do a light run-through of your stuff for Saturday to ease your nerves then get s good sleep.

Get fresh in mind and body!

Latikos likes this.
  20. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Today is off for sure and without doing anything at home too.
    I'm tempted to go through the basic techniques for kickboxing, as they will be the reason I fail, but I'm just groggy still, so will watch a bit TV, play a bit and do nothing essentially - and I'm actually enjoying it already. And feel lazy :D

Not so sure about tomorrow though.
    Might add some Kata and basics training to easy Jitsu.
    Since I should have free days from Sunday to Wednesday, due to holidays.
    Despite actually preferring to take tomorrow off as well.

This will be the first year, in which I might actually enjoy the Christmas holidays; just for being lazy.
    But than again I know myself: That is something I say now, and after two days I will be restless and counting days again :rolleyes:

Knee Rider likes this.