UFC 205

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Elbow, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I've forgotten a lot of it I was busy having a whinge about him winning but the bit that bugged me was

Rogan asked him what was next for him and he said something along the line of "what's next for the champ is whatever the [expletive] the champ wants!"

2. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

It was really ironic though how Alvarez was one of the easiest fights for McGregor till now and he was the guy who was for the past 2 years wondering why people lose to Conor and why they don't take the fight to the ground.

He honestly believed till yesterday that Conor is an easy fight for him and look what happened.

Sometimes you can't know unless you get in the ring.

3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Ugh. Now we have to keep listening to the circus that is McGregor. IMO he has hurt the legitimacy of the UFC. I wonder, will the new ownership give him a share, despite conflict of interest that would cause? The integrity of the sport is already hurt by McGregor. The Featherweight division has been on hold for ridiculous reasons for a long time. A fighter's life is short. It is so unfair to that division what White has catred to with regards to McGregor's demands.

I was rooting for Thompson, but I thought Woodley won that fight. I can see the arguments for a draw, but I leaned towards him winning. What did others think?

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

The hate for McGregor is boring. Just like the hate for Rousey was boring. McGregor does far more talking with his fists than he does with his mouth, yet people fixate on what comes out of his mouth.

McGregor stays healthy and he gets the job done. He has fought 4 times in the last 11 months. For context, before the Aldo v McGregor fight, Aldo hadn't defended the belt for almost 14 months. If McGregor gets a FW defence on the books in the next few months, he'll still be defending it at a faster rate than Aldo did - so whining about McGregor ruining the FW division is silliness.

5. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

The elephant in the ring?

So maybe I'm over reacting but how come no one has mentioned Khabib Nurmagomedov? He called Conor ''the chicken'' and asked Joe Rogan don't you think I deserve a shot? That CM guy should stop ducking me!? Khabib was supposed to fight Alvarez (and it had been confirmed by Joe Rogan) but Conor got them to change things to allow the 2 belt champ thing. Would have been interesting to see if Conor could keep his belt , let alone take a second one, fighting this young Russian. He mauled Michael Johnson for 3 rounds before it was called and has a 24-0 record to date. Could possibly use more work on his striking/defence but being twice the world combat sambo champ means he has been used to people trying to give him a smack in the head. Wrestler, Judo BB, Combat Sambo champion. What do people think? Is this more of the UFC being a closet WWE and not allowing those who have good records to fight because they aren't the best box office?

http://www.bjjee.com/articles/khabib-nurmagomedov-vs-michael-johnson-full-fight/

6. holyheadjch

Its hard to plan him in as a headliner when he gets injured all the time. I can't be the only one surprised to see him actually make it to the event.

7. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

8. Late for dinner

9. holyheadjch

10. Late for dinner

Fair enough. I was commenting on Conors' comment that he hadn't fought in 8 years.. seemed that Conor really doesn't want to face this guy. What do you think of his chances when he is healthy?

11. holyheadjch

I think he knocks Khabib out inside the first round. Khabib had pretty useless striking defence and I don't see how he closes the distance to Conor without first getting caught by a big left

12. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Woodley Thompson had me on the edge of my seat.
    That sprawl/flying knee fusion thing from Romero was brilliant!
    Really strong performance from Pennington, I was impressed.
    I found the Strawweight fight hard to watch after the 3rd tbh. While Karolina was game and showed great heart (and a sweet right) the writing was on the wall from the mid point.
    I thought Conor's speech was hilarious, people need to lighten up. Also when you just destroyed the champion of another division while barely breaking a sweat, you can big yourself up all you like.