Art history books!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Bozza Bostik, Dec 2, 2014.

1. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Matisse was influential to me as an artist(I assume we're kinda sticking to "fine" arts). :) [​IMG]
    Being a graphic artist, I'm a fanboy of some modern digital art. I don't know many by name, but I see it all over the interwebz, magazines, etc.
    [​IMG] Not to brag, but this is mine:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]This Impala I hand drew and scanned in to make it darker for display viewing...[​IMG]

2. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Is it my fault this thread died? :O Sorry. :(

3. Rated Red

Rated Red ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Supporter

The Illustrated History of Art - David Piper
    The Story of Art - E.H.Gombrich

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Thread resurrected!

I'll put up a couple of my favourites. Two very different pictures but I love them nonetheless.

Norham castle Sunrise - JMW Turner.

[​IMG]

I really appreciate the skill of doing a lot with a little. The barest mark or dab that suggests a whole lot more. This painting does that for me. If you look there's barely anything there really, dabs, smudges and smears. But it still conveys the temperature of the day, the weather, structure of the landscape. I tried to copy this one time in oils and the skill in mark making is immense.

An Experiment on a Bird in the Air Pump - Joseph Wright of Derby

[​IMG]

This is obviously in complete contrast to the Turner painting as it is highly finished, detailed and dense where the Turner is light and airy. But there aren't many that handle chiaroscuro like Joseph Wright. So atmospheric. I love the combination of science and art. The handling of the various surfaces and textures. Brilliant.