Fake Weapons for training

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by aaradia, Aug 30, 2015.

1. blindside

blindside Valued Member

If you wear goggles frequently I would recommend some of the mesh airsoft goggles. They don't develop "the fog of war" during intense classes. :D

http://bitterendgoggles.com/bitter_end_goggles.htm

There are some really cheap Chinese versions of these types of mesh goggles that are safe but not nearly as comfortable. There is something to be said for being able to buy 10 for the price of one though. :D
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tactical-Ou...oggles-/271858329753?var=&hash=item3f4c04e899

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Handily one of my students is a keen airsofter so I'm getting him to see how compatible they are with our headgear.

3. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

Simon posted above on Nok knives. These are simply the best training knives out there on the market.

Check out this video:
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iko5m9qTerM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iko5m9qTerM[/ame]

4. Ben Gash CLF

Blindside, how do you find HDPE compares to nylon for contact work.
    Is it stiff enough for a full size sword?
    I like the wrap you've used. Do you have a link that shows you how to do It?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  5. blindside

blindside Valued Member

I haven't tried, but I suspect HDPE will get too floppy beyond an overall length of 36 inches/1 meter, and at that length probably wouldn't do great with two handed weapons, simply too much torque on the blade. Again, that is just a guess.

I prefer the feel of nylon to HDPE, even with the shorter FMA weapons there is less flop in the hit. But HDPE is far cheaper and it is easier to work than nylon so it still makes a good product for us Do-It-Yourselfers.

The wrap is a simple half twist, you simply cross the paracord, and take it back the direction it came from. The only trick is making sure you maintain the same direction of twist all the way down the handle.

6. blindside

blindside Valued Member

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  7. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Slightly freaked out seeing you in 'my room' unexpectedly. :)

8. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Still on the rubber knives. Had another one snap at the hilt in two last week on one of my Sim Days when someone got caught full pelt. :)

9. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

If you want to see what your training is valid or not, get a couple of the nolie blades.. they come with an edge that you can put some chalk or some material similar and when you slash or thrust, you can see the cuts.. In knife sparring, you can also see the kill shots and the other actions as they are marked.. that enables you to see if your training is valid and allows you to work on the counter offensive methods.. I use the cold steel blades and crkt trainers also as they can be used similar to the no lie blades.

10. Ben Gash CLF

Wow, just looked at buying some nylon sheet. I think it wouldn't be markedly more expensive to get a custom waster from Blackfencer :eek:

11. blindside

blindside Valued Member

And one of the main reasons why I use HDPE. :D

12. Ben Gash CLF

I'm definitely going to have a go at some HDPE butterfly knives, but I want some longer blades as well. Just got an initial quote from Blackfencer for a Da Dao and it was VERY reasonable.

13. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Nice. Well that's the next project for my wife to make.

Suppose I should let her finish the bookcases first though. :D

14. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

If you are looking for quality training blades.. I recommend you go to Jeff Finder from the serrada eskrima system.. He makes hard use training blades made out of polymer products as well as different variations of eskrima sticks made out of the same materiel..

15. Ben Gash CLF

I'm going to order a Dadao from Blackfencer I think. Their lead time is 8-10 weeks, so I'll make a thread when it arrives.

16. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Try SGT Blades. His single handed trainers are well regarded by HEMA practitioners, and he is also a personal friend (full disclosure). He could probably exceed your expectations for trainers if you give him the specs. Never hurts to ask.

17. Ben Gash CLF

I ordered a pair of custom Dadao from Blackfencer, they were very helpful and it was very straightforward. I ordered a Bolognese sidesword waster at the same time. Can't wait to see the results :)