Hip joint pain?

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by James Marcus, Mar 6, 2015.

1. James Marcus

James Marcus New Member

Since two days I've been experiencing a discomfort/pain that's basically an amplification of what I had before. Since some time ago I've been noticing some discomfort in the area around my hip joint (right side). It's only in my right side which is the tightest side.

I experience this discomfort when performing a couple of specific exercises. For example with the side split test, when I try to move tha raised leg side to side that's when I experience discomfort in the right side of my hip. The straddle stretch is also a problem as well as the frog stretch, even though I made decent progress in my overall flexibility those two exercises never seemed to get easier for me. I also experience that problem when doing dynamic side kick stretches, so when I read the comments from the flexibility and kicking guide in this forum, I thought the problem might be the hip joint.

Lately the discomfort got worse when I tried the adductor standing stretch and moved the standing leg side to side. Now I can't do front kicking dynamic stretches past the abdomen without discomfort (which wasn't a problem before).

The good news is that the discomfort becomes less the more I work with some exercises like pistols, squats and lunges.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me with this. Some localized hip strengthening routines that give the hip joints a good workout would be very helpful.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  2. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I'll give you something that helps me. You'll need a sturdy chair or barre about waist height or slightly higher. Your warm up should be a few simple ones to warm up the hips/low back. i.e. touching your toes, butterflies, etc. Now that you're warm, put your foot up on your chair/barre, raise your hands high, and slowly reach down and grab the foot/ankle on the chair/barre (whichever you can reach). Hold that stretch for a few seconds, stand up, repeat as many times as desired. 3-4 reps per leg should be fine.

This one you can only do with a barre...put your leg up on the barre and slide that leg to the side while moving as close to the barre as possible. (i.e. your right foot will be stretched all the way to your right, and your trunk will be directly in front of the barre.) Now, take the hand on the side of the raised leg (right hand in our example), reach around your back and grab the bar. (now you will be facing away from the barre and your right hand will grab the barre) At the same time stretch the other hand (left in this example) forward toward the foot on the barre. Now you'll look and feel something like a top. :) This should be a sufficient stretch for your hips and back as well.

Also, foam roller-ing can help these sort of things.

Hope this is of some help.

3. Devley

Devley New Member

A friend of mine had localized pain in their hip. Same thing, only when doing certain exercises. Ended up being bursitis. Used a lot of cold therapy before and after working out to get and keep inflammation down. Just a suggestion.

4. Hortone2321

Hortone2321 New Member

I have experienced something like this before and I had to consult a chiropractor to get rid of this pain.