Learning JKD from a book?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by idols11, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Avenger

Avenger Banned Banned

Sounds like you wonder about a lot of things.

Get off the keyboards and experience life more, it might help.:)

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Oh the irony.......

3. Hannibal

No

No

No

I mean did you actually think before you posted any of that? It is not even remotely cogent

4. The Iron Fist

The Iron Fist Banned Banned

Whose stuff? Bruce Lee's, or the thousands of years of martial arts philosophy he made a dissertation on?

Every word Bruce every said is martially significant. It should be, he was regurgitated millenia-old philosophies. He was really rebelling, in a way, against his parent's culture, another 60's radical, only with his fists instead of peace and love. I like to think of Bruce as a kind of counter-counterculture, a reminder to all the peaceniks that war is always coming, so prepare yourself in a way that includes constantly testing yourself, and re-evaluating your personal security.

Jeet Kune Do is like any other academic treatise. It's worth reading, this one happens to involve "hitting all by itself" and so forth. It's it's return to "true kung fu", according to Bruce himself. It was a personal journey for him, and I can't think of a single martial artists that won't benefit from reading his notes. You don't have to adore him or anything to see the wisdom.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  5. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Based on your comment I decided to take stock of my day.

Today I worked on a patio I am building to expand the bonsai collection. It has swelled from 50 to 70 trees rather suddenly and I have been doing construction to set up. The new location will also allow me to use shade successfully, critical to success in certain bonsai operations.

Then I started working on a ficus bonsai I have had for a year. The apex needed a redesign and I made some hard decisions. Here's an after and before, we're midway through on this thing.

http://imgur.com/a/7LeWa

Then I relaxed in the evening reading some Paulo Freire before going to dinner with my Mother, we hadn't seen each other in a month or so, and my fiancee. I ate pho tai with extra, extra meat and drank red wine.

Afterwards we visited a family friend and his massive leonberger and discussed art. He's promised me his parents' twenty five year old wisteria, as they want it dug out. This autumn I shall have a second massive wisteria, I am excited.

Finally, Lauren, my fiancee, and I retired to our apartment and watched Dr. Who, the Christopher Eccleston season where he meets a Dalek.

All in all: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4UqMyldS7Q"]Ice Cube - It Was A Good Day - YouTube[/ame]

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

So... literally none of that is true. It's untrue enough that I don't really believe anyone saying it could be really interested in the truth. And that's not JKD fanaticism talking. It's simply that there's so much documented and readily available information to the contrary. We're hardly talking about ancient history here. It was the 1970s for crying out loud.

It's a discussion forum. I've championed that point before. But honestly, if you're being sincere and not just trolling, you do have SOME obligation to do your homework before the discussion.

7. Avenger

Avenger Banned Banned

What is untrue?, I have all the Bruce Lee books that came out after he died, it took years to finally come out with his main book. It is basically hundreds of his notes he made over the years that they tried to organize into a book and call it JKD.

When he died, no one took over teaching JKD, these schools sprang up decades after his death by people who were not qualified by Bruce Lee to teach his art, maybe Dan knew the most, but I think he said he was just qualified to teach Kali.

I saw some people claiming they were students of Bruce teaching seminars, which were basically some basic modified pak-sou movements.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

You think or you know.

As has already been said a little homework prevents you looking like a troll.

Names and reasons why this is an issue.

Nothing wrong with a seminar teaching pak sau movements.

Note the correct spelling.

9. Hannibal

All of it

Which do you mean - The Tao? The Fighting method? The Know Now series? the Tuttle library? the Unique Publications series?

No they didn't and they said as much in the book - try actually reading it rather than just buying it

Wrong

Wrong

Wrong - Dan was graded BY BRUCE in JKD to teach...and Jun Fan incidentally

Ted Wong was graded but not to teach

Taky Kimura and Jesse Glover taught NCGF

I saw some people claiming they were students of Rickson Gracie teaching seminars, which were basically armbars and chokes...the temerity!

Here is a hint: try actually doing 30 seconds google searching before typing anything else, otherwise you may as well just taking a giant dump on the keyboard and seeing what letters appear on the screen

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  10. Avenger

Avenger Banned Banned

Do You believe everything you google?

All the books, want to buy them?, do they have collector value?, it has been a long time since I have read them, but not much value in them at the time, typical technique books.

11. Hannibal

I already have them....as in all of them, some signed by Guro Dan himself

Seriously this is a crap 2/10 troll effort.....try harder, or preferably just stop posting

12. The Iron Fist

Bruce Lee.

Just kidding, it's really Bruce Lee quoting Vince Lombardi. Or more precisely from Lee's exposition of Lombardi's concepts. Lee actually said, "Don't fear failure. — Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.”

So again, if you are reading these books to learn techniques, good luck with that, but I think the real value is in applying the martial precepts. Anybody can try to write that sort of thing in a book, but Bruce Lee wrote from an experience like few others. The technique, he wrote, is not really the point. "It hits all by itself". You can find techniques anywhere, lying all over. Picking a single technique up and taking it to the point of real mastery is the whole point of "practicing one kick ten thousand times", etc.

Now I don't know if that's from the "Tao of Jeet Kune Do" or not. I can't find my copy at the moment. But this is the part of Jeet Kune Do you can learn from just a book, that leads to the parts Jeet Kune Do you can seek out from a qualified instructor. Without a doubt brother, there are qualified Jeet Kune Do instructors with direct lineage to Bruce Lee. Books are for getting started, that's all, in my opinion. You won't learn a single technique, but you'll learn how to find the path.

Here's a great book for understanding the philosophical underpinnings of Jeet Kune Do

https://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Lee-Striking-Thoughts-Library/dp/0804834717

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  13. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

That's what it is,tho'.Notes
    Not an academic treatise.

:p

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  14. The Iron Fist

Well sorry man you're right, I didn't literally mean an academic paper. What I mean was Bruce Lee was an academic (a philosopher by education), and the Tao of Jeet Kune Do notes are an academic perspective on the martial arts, with philosophical and physical elements. Only post humously did it become a 'book' in the literal sense. So the notes/book combines a modern approach to martial arts exercise fitness and training, as well as the amalgamation and a sort of finer distillation of what had been Bruce's martial arts curriculum, which included everything from Shaolin Buddhism and Taoism and related martial disciplines including Wing Chun, to a respect of modern sports science, boxing, judo, wrestling, and all the other stuff. I think people get caught up in 'keeping' this, 'throwing out' that stuff, and so forth missing the fact that Bruce really never threw out anything (how can you 'throw out' knowledge or experience???); he just used his perspective to simplify it all to a key set of principles, with some modern context for the average martial artist of the 1970's, a time when I'm sure a lot of martial arts braggarts began to make their names known, and Bruce wanted to stand out from that crowd. Now, whether or not people feel Bruce was such a braggart, that's their opinion. BUT, he tried to practice everything he preached and was not sitting on the spectator sidelines, right? Succeed or fail, he was going to do what he loved, the true success.

Of all things I think you can say about Bruce, he didn't sit in his underwear at the typewriter all day long, he went out and tried to practice what he was preaching, and in doing so, posthumously this made the Tao of Jeet Kune Do and little more than other books. I mean, go to the local bookstore and you'll see a hundred similar books, but there is only one Tao of Jeet Kune Do.

Excellent source of the Longinus quote by the way, I love learning something new. Roman history definitely not my forte, but I sure know football :D

15. Hannibal

Bruce was not a philosophy graduate just for the record- his major was drama :)

16. The Iron Fist

What's the difference? "To be or not to be" is both philosophy and drama. I think Bruce saw himself as a philosopher first and actor second. I don't see much difference between Bruce Lee and Shakespeare. It's good reading, and sounds even better when spoken aloud, with gusto.

17. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Was philosophy his minor? I read somewhere that he studied philosophy in college.

18. The Iron Fist

Well think about it, Bruce was immersed in philosophy as a child and an adult well before he left China and studied in the US. The average US kid in the 1970's didn't get the same education in philosophy Bruce did. Not to mention of course his parents were also dramatic artists. Whatever his college exposure to philosophy, it was just the next level of the pyramid.

You know, I hate little videos or sound bytes of Bruce Lee, but I love watching the full unedited interviews. Here's a good one. I think 'JKD' is pretty much summed up here, without showing a single technique. But I defer of course to the experts, my exposure is only skin deep.

"Combining philosophy and art with sport", indeed :D

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBgiHEtoo8"]Bruce Lee:The Lost Interview (The Pierre Berton Show) Part 1 / æŽå°é¾ï¼šå¤±è½çš„é¢è©¦ï¼ˆçš®åŸƒçˆ¾Â·ä¼¯é*“展) 第1部分 - YouTube[/ame]

19. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Huh? :confused: Dramatists certainly incorporate philosophy into their literature quite often(Rand, Bulgakov, etc), but drama/literature and philosophy are very different disciplines. The famous prose fiction teacher/author Randy Ingermason teaches the art and craft of fiction without touching on philosophy at all, for example(not even in his various analyses of literature).

20. Hannibal

He certainly studied it extensively, and a minor seems likely. Bruce has stated on several occasions that he studied philosophy at University - but he does not mention his major was drama, possibly because it was not "zen" enough

He was a remarkable man, and a massive influence on my life, but he was still just a man with the same ego and desire as any other young person in their early twenties