What TV series are you watching?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by cloudz, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Been looking for new shows and trying stuff out. Watching The Bureau, an excellent French spy thriller, and started on The Americans which is pleasantly surprising. Much more layered drama than I was expecting.

2. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

I recently watched a tv series called The Expanse.
    It's a very good sci-fi. I highly recommend it.

I am currently watching Animal Kingdom. It's very good as well and I hear that
    the original australian movie is even better.

3. TwirlinMerlin

TwirlinMerlin Valued Member

Watching Person Of Interest. I never saw it when it was on the air so been going through the episodes on Netflix. I think it's a great show. The wife likes it too.

4. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I partially watched to two episodes of "Nurse Betty" I think it was called.

I have no idea what the core of the show is (aside from the obvious: Nurse, hospital, apparently her family), but what made it memorable to me was her daughter.

No idea if this actually is a spoiler, but better safe then sorry :)
    In the second episode I watched a few minutes of there was a talk between Mom, Dad, daughter and and a doctor (I think), where they were talking about Xanax for the daughter.

I really liked the way the young actress did her job here, when she was explaining how she felt with some mental disorder (again: Apparently. I saw like 10 minutes, but the girl had me impressed!).

The way she was talking (incredibly thoughtful), that she was talking a bit slow (because she was well considering, what she wanted to describe), the description themselves.

All this seemed to be a job well done by the girl, and was the reason why I kept watching.

Just like when you keep watching whatever with young Jodelle Ferland or Cameron Bright - they were awesome in being creepy!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2016
  5. Rated Red

Rated Red ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Supporter

When I'm not watching a current season of GoT, I'm rewatching Season 1 through 6 of GoT.
    Roll on 2017 Season 7 of GoaT.

Runner up: The Walking Dead.

6. Ben Gash CLF

Watching Hayate Combat Butler for a cheesy anime fix.

7. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Stranger Things. Believe the hype. This show is a love letter to 80s sci-fi / horror movie pop culture. If you grew up with E.T, The Goonies, Star Wars, Alien, Close Encounters, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Lost Boys, Poltergeist, Stand by Me, Spielberg, Lucas, Stephen King, Carpenter, Cronenberg and more… you will love this show.

8. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Vice Principles.

Loving this show, very funny and also bitter-sweet and endearing.

9. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Ya, a couple people off line have strongly, strongly recommended that I watch it. I guess I'd better give it a view. :)

Anyway, I tried the first several episodes of "Bitten" on Netflix. It's about a pack of werewolves living in New York and Canada. Okay so far. I've seen better and I've stopped watching worse. At least it's not another vampire show. :p

10. Rated Red

Rated Red ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Supporter

Watching the new series of Wolf Creek - on my second episode, so far so good. I thought John Jarett played an excellent roll as the sick and twisted villain in the films: Wolf Creek I & 2 which has led me to watch the series since he's the original Mick Taylor.

11. aikiMac

I tried the first two episodes of "Supergirl." No. Just, no.
    Supergirl is pretty and charming enough, and after 2 episodes I'm starting to like the sidekick co-worker (not the photographer, the other guy, whose name I've forgotten), and Ally McBeal is great as the boss from hell, but the whole show just fails to be interesting. The writers are trying so hard to not be boring, that they're actually trying too hard. They've gone so far to the extreme that they're boring.

I think, actually, the problem is that (1) the writers have outright admitted (in the script) that the show is just a xerox copy of other shows, but they didn't do it as a joke for laughs, and (2) there's no explanation for why Superman isn't in the show. It's incredulous that he would avoid the one and only person from his home planet -- and a blood relative at that. Absolutely impossible to believe. Except that, the writers of the show explicitly put this show into an unspecified tv universe of a prior Superman show that did not include Supergirl. It's right there in the opening monologue. So now they can't put Superman on this show.

:bang: It just doesn't work.

12. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

It gets better as it goes on. Like a lot of shows the first couple episodes are trying to establish all of the characters. It still has issues but it's not bad and now that season two is moving from CBS to the CW they hopefully have a better grasp on the super hero genre. They've done a great job with Arrow, Flash and Legends Of Tomorrow.

The whole cast is good, once you get past the black, muscle bound, suave Jimmy Olsen (why, just why?). The co worker you spoke of was Wynn, short for Winslow and is the son of the infamous Toyman, Winslow Schott.

Bit of a spoiler but Superman does make a shadowy appearance in one episode. He will also make some real appearances in season 2.

13. aikiMac

I finally took the advice of people on and off MAP and started "Stranger Things," the Netflix Original. I'm two episodes into it and -- wow, it really is that good! I'm certain that the writers could have written a plot more tasteful than high school sex, but the camera angles and the whole production are just amazing. Whoever is behind the camera is brilliant. And the child actor for the character "Eleven" is fantastic.

14. Ben Gash CLF

I've also just started on Stranger Things. It's good but I'm not getting the "80s feel" thing people keep going on about. It feels like a 2016 show set in the 80s.

15. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

It's a clever mixture, I think. Apart from the opening credits, there's no way you would think you were actually watching something from the 80's, but the homages in plot, atmosphere, sets and camera work are laid on thick.

I did really like it, and I'm very happy that Netflix are giving people the chance to follow a creative vision without having to dumb everything down to the lowest common denominator (I thought Better Call Saul was a very good example of that - it would never have been on TV), but Stranger Things started off a lot stronger than it finished, I felt.

16. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I really enjoyed it, it's one of the few TV series I've seen recently that I feel deserved the hype it got, but I agree that it started stronger than it finished.

Well, when I say seen recently...I usually watch 10 minutes of something then turn it off, rarely finish the first episode and watching more than one episode is rarer still. The fact that I watched the whole thing says a lot about how much I enjoyed it.

Thank God for YouTube and old stuff!

17. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I know what you mean. 95% of the time I hear someone telling me how amazing some new TV series is I get all excited then start watching it and wonder what all the fuss is about :)

18. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

We don't bother with a TV, just use laptops and Netflix etc. My girlfriend pays for it, she has to as I wouldn't bother. I don't think it's worth paying the money for that one good series a year or whatever.

I honestly think TV should just be MASH and Blackadder repeats...and everything David Attenborough has ever done. That's all you need really. :p

19. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

David is right. It’s about finding a clever mixture between 80s references and modern recording technologies. Anyone versed into the related retrowave music scene can tell you the movement – which really took off after Drive came out in 2011 – is not about making straight up pastiches of 80s pop culture but using some of its signature references while applying modern recording techniques. Otherwise what’s the point – might as well listen to actual 80s music.

In the visual medium, Stranger Things is constantly referencing 80s shows but, other than the props, they're using modern filming gear – so no VHS-type video glitches or oversaturated tones. The show is jam packed with 80s references. Almost every scene recalls an 80s show from E.T., the Goonies, Stephen King novels and much more.

If you have watched the full first season, the following video does a good job at explaining all those references. Don’t watch if you haven’t seen the whole first season.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N1rirHF6qk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N1rirHF6qk[/ame]

20. aikiMac

Really? The phones, the cars, the furniture, the clothes and hair, the D & D, the awesome Millennium Falcon toy, the "boom box" tape player? What would the producers have to do differently to make it feel like the 80s? (I'm only in episode 4.)

Edit: Oh, didn't see Greg's post. Sorry, Greg. Either of you - feel free to add if there's something more.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016