Leg Entanglements

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Korpy, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

For those of you that play the leg lock game in Jiu Jitsu, what are your preferred leg entanglements? I use to prefer ashi garami and 50/50, but for the last year, I've been doing a lot of inside sankaku for the majority of my leg attacks, but also still use ashi garami when it is available.

2. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VH8ArDB6-M"]20 Entries to Inside Sankaku - YouTube[/ame]

Here is a small video on entries into inside sankaku. For those of you who are not familiar with the position. It is the triangling of the legs on the inside of your opponent's legs. In my opinion, it is the best and strongest position for leg locks.

3. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I really like #7 in that video. I'm not so sure I like much of the others as much.

I'm not that into leg locks myself because they take a lot of time to training right. Doing them once in a while I think is a higher risk of injury, particularly with heel hooks AND the chance that the opponent could be stronger and put me in a leg lock while I'm trying to leg lock them.

This leg lock looks pretty strong to me. Maybe it is in that video you posted. They all look similar to me.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbms43x3z2U"]Eddie Cummings vs Reilly Bodycomb || Polaris 2 - YouTube[/ame]

4. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Leg attacks are something I'm only really starting to focus on lately. I've never really had much instruction on them in the past and always neglected them as an option in favour of focussing on passing development.

Right now I'm heavily looking at them from a defensive and offensive perspective as I've been caught a few times and want to rub out that blotch in my game.

ATM I'm also using a 50/50 position to hit them from. It's a work in progress though and I'm essentially on step one.
    I've seen some nice options from the truck but it's not something I've ever tried to hit.

edit: actually the japanese term ashi garami (thanks deadpool)seems to best describe the position I am primarily working from.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  5. Knee Rider

The locks are essentially heelhooks, ankle locks, knee bars, toe holds and compression locks. Most of the variations function the same way, but it's the set up, entry and position that change.

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I don't really use leg locks that much, although I love knee bar entries whilst passing, I tend to focus on the positional game.
    That said I focus on ashi garami as its the main entry position, most common position, and the most useful for sweeps, ibjjf legal subs, and the starting point to add reaping in.

7. Knee Rider

having googles it 'ashi garami' best describes the position I use too rather than 50/50.

8. Dead_pool

Out side Ashi garami (danaher) / slash guard (ryan hall) / single leg x (marcello) are all the names ive seen for the 'standard' BJJ leg entanglement.

dean lister and eddie bravo have got some funky names too.

9. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

While I feel ashi is the easiest to get to, inside sankaku is the best position wise. I went to an Eddie Cummings seminar last month, and he showed a bunch of entries and finishes from inside sankaku. It is a thing of beauty.

10. Dead_pool

Eddie c is awesome, I think dean lister calls it the 411, and the 10th planet guys call it the honey hole.