How mixed martial arts can improve ur self defence technique

Discussion in 'MMA' started by CalasanzMartine, Mar 8, 2016.

1. CalasanzMartine

CalasanzMartine New Member

Hey guys, if you’rethinking of beginning your or your kid’s Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) training, but somewhere question the benefits of MMA fighting and this is holding you back or dampening your interest, let me tell you one can not equate it with only fighting, it improves your confidence, discipline, fitness and more importantly self defense..It can greatly increase your level of preparedness in the face of a dangerous situation. With your knowledge of combative arts, you can defend yourself whenever any need arises. It gives you perfect dose of self respect and self esteem which does not let you hold back while you are in a dangerous situation.Whether your kid is too bossy, too shy, or perhaps just a little hyper, the martial arts can help your child learn many important life lessons.And, of course, those same lessons apply to all of us , not just kids. How? The answer is very simple and obvious- It keeps the kids/us active and moving, flexible, fights obesity problem, learns to focus, brings patience with activeness.
    With the learning of MMA , your child learns what it feels like taking a hit whether that hit is a literal blow or disappointment in failing a test.It helps in connecting your mind and body. Mixed martial arts makes you learn tapping into intuition, fear, and courage of being able to put the physical together with the mental.It calls on the use of all combat skills, recruiting all body parts which include the arms, fists, elbows, knees, legs and feet.
    Hence, It makes you strong both physically and mentally. Mixed Martial Arts is the fastest growing sport in the world.. It is a full-contact combat sport that allows the use of both striking and grappling techniques, both standing and on the ground, from a variety of other combat sports and martial art.
    MMA includes disciplines from various martial arts and Olympic sports, such as boxing, kick-boxing, Karate, Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Tae kwon do, Wrestling and Judo.

2. ned

ned Valued Member

and you also get to wear really cool tapout gear :p

( welcome to MAP btw ! )

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

What's this MMA thing?
    I've not heard about it before this post. I've been hiding under a rock for 20 years.

4. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

And, why is this random post in the Internal Martial Arts forum?? :confused:

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Moved to the MMA forum. Calasanz, meet the choir.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

7. Hannibal

Have not used that one for a while....

8. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

[​IMG]

Surely a pure striking or grappling style is better than a hybrid style for self defense!

9. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Hi calasanz, welcome to map. Is this one of your videos by the way?

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaGnRDNBazw"]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaGnRDNBazw[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  10. Tai Sabaki

Tai Sabaki Valued Member

MMA format, if nothing else is a great pressure test!

11. PsychoElectric

PsychoElectric Valued Member

Has that Hannibal person ever had a fight in his life? Highly doubt it.
    No offence.

12. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

No he just uses his deadly wit to convince the bad guys to let him put the cuffs on.

Where are you based Psycho?

13. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Bros had more fights than I've had hot dinners. He's fought Michael Bisping!

One of those statements is a lie.

14. Hannibal

I am either a 14 year old troll or legit badass according to Mangosteen......

Pick one

15. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Go on, ask him what his job is...

16. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Well that helped.

17. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

I wouldn't worry about this MMA thing; it'll never catch on.

18. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I would add that a "good" kids' martial arts program in nearly any style generally provides the same benefits. Advice I would add is to check out the program and make sure there is a good emphasis on the respect side being taught and not "just" win at all costs. Kids do need that element so they learn the responsibility that goes along with these skills.

In many ways, I wish MMA had been popular when I started training or that there had been an MMA school close by. The skills and concepts are great, especially with the very open and honest way of testing them.

I think MMA could serve as a very good base for self defense training as well. MMA addresses a certain range of self defense nearly perfectly... the range where you find yourself definitely going to have to fight another person, without weapons or multiple attackers, and with no way to talk your way out, disengage, or escape. You have a very clear idea what the level of force is and what is about to happen. This alows for excellent development of skills at that range.

To adapt that to be a broader self defense style, I would then recommend some RBSD-style training on levels of force, legal issues, de-escalation skills, and etc as well as lower level of force techniques (breakaways and the like). I would then supplement it with a weapons based art (something like a Filipino stick and knife system) that has some sort of sparring format as well. Then work out a system where you can run scenarios where students can engage in all of those ranges (a low level where they can talk their way out or disengage with low level force, full on one-on-one fighting, adding weapons, adding multiple opponents).

So, yeah, long story short, I think MMA would be a great base for self defense...

19. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

all of it!